IGNORED

Our Run In

Gerry Gows' Tash

Preston (H), Forest (A), Ipswitch (H), Swansea (A), Sheffield (H), Burnley (A)

With the exception of Forest, who'll be fighting for their lives, the others will all fancy themselves for a playoff place.

Always believe, but realistically we can't afford to lose any of them, and more than one draw will mean we rely on other results.

Preston (H), Forest (A), Ipswitch (H), Swansea (A), Sheffield (H), Burnley (A)

With the exception of Forest, who'll be fighting for their lives, the others will all fancy themselves for a playoff place.

Always believe, but realistically we can't afford to lose any of them, and more than one draw will mean we rely on other results.

Alternatively, it does us lots of favours as we have to play the teams above us, meaning if we win we take points off of them. Quite a big if mind. It's not impossible, but it is improbable, we would have to play awfully well to beat all those teams, it is likely we will drop points, as that is how football works, and that is why we love it!

Looks like the top 6 at the moment could well be the top six come the end of the season. From 7 down I think are now realistically looking at Burnley on 65 points (Cardiff and Sheff Utd having 3 and 2 games in hand respectively, who are 4 ahead of Preston (who aren't looking too fluent at the moment) and 7 ahead of us and Swansea. 7 points, 6 games, tough ask, possible, but improbable.

Still think we might be able to do it mind, I am ever the optimist, and will be cheering us on til the death!!

Losing to teams like Direby and QPR shows we aren't good enough to even think about entering and winning play-offs this season. I would personally rather see the rest of the season used wisely to give players valuable experience that is going to enable us to have a decent tilt next season.

I agree with Swansea Red, I think playing the teams we're fighting against is probably the best thing for us, as it means it more 'in our hands' than if we had to wait to see if others lost.

Indeed. 6 pointers do help. They are also a god benchmark. If we can't beat Preston, Swansea Burnley and Ipswich, then do we really deserve a play off spot?

I personally think the playoffs may be a bridge too far for us from this point on.

HOWEVER, before totally writing off the possiblity here is some food-for-thought provided by the fixture list;

Cardiff v Sheff Utd

Cardiff v Swansea

Birmingham v Wolverhampton

Reading v Sheff Utd

Cardiff v Burnley

Preston v Cardiff

Burnley v Sheff Utd

Birmingham v Preston

Sheff Utd v Swansea

Reading v Birmingham

These are all the ties remaining between sides who presently sit above us in the table.

It doesn't include City or any other sides like QPR, Ipswich or Palace who are still in with a slim, outside chance (all of whom have games against top 8 teams remaining).

Makes you realise that there are plenty of difficult-to-call matches remaining and that 7 points doesn't look impossible to make up as long as we can bouce back from this defeat quickly.

Finally, top 9 with six to play last year, with the teams who finished 6th (Watford) and 5th (Palace) highlighted...

1. Stoke City 40 +12 68

2. Bristol City 40 +1 67

3. Hull City 40 +15 65

4. Watford 39 +14 65

5. WBA 38 +26 63

6. Plymouth 40 +11 59

7. Ipswich Town 39 +9 59

8. Crystal Palace 40 +7 58

9. Wolves 39 +1 58

I found it interesting reading (BTW Plymouth finished 10th).

Always Believe :thumbsup:

Archived