IGNORED

Time To Give Up On The Play-offs?

DaveF

Tweaking in central midfield (I daren't make my suggestion - it may upset a few).

Styvar to be overtaking Adebola in the forward rankings. Maynard to be pushing on (perhaps 15-20 goals).

Competition at left back.

Competition on the right wing.

Likes of Akinde, Ribiero and Wilson to be pushing on.

IMO

1st prority - A new scott murray! well maybe wishful thinking but a quality right winger is a must, even better if hes versatile enough to play right accross the midfield. Jordi Gomez from swansea would be a dream but maybe a little unrealistic

Justification

No problems with Basso in goal and between Weale and Henderson we have good cover

Defence is still great and also appears with the likes of Wilson and Ribs coming through that we wont need to strengthen there.

Strikers still arent scoring the goals we would like but we have some young players to try and train on and heaven forbid we throw any more money at that position until we have given them a serious chance.

Big positives for me have been form of skuse and williams, and when added to LJ and ME the centre of the park is looking a strong area for us now.

So for me the weakest areas for us are out wide. McCindoe is pretty solid on the left but we have no real cover. Sproule is good impact player off the bench but personally i don't think he really has the footballing quality to command a starting spot in a top championship side.

IMO

1st prority - A new scott murray! well maybe wishful thinking but a quality right winger is a must, even better if hes versatile enough to play right accross the midfield. Jordi Gomez from swansea would be a dream but maybe a little unrealistic

Justification

No problems with Basso in goal and between Weale and Henderson we have good cover

Defence is still great and also appears with the likes of Wilson and Ribs coming through that we wont need to strengthen there.

Strikers still arent scoring the goals we would like but we have some young players to try and train on and heaven forbid we throw any more money at that position until we have given them a serious chance.

Big positives for me have been form of skuse and williams, and when added to LJ and ME the centre of the park is looking a strong area for us now.

So for me the weakest areas for us are out wide. McCindoe is pretty solid on the left but we have no real cover. Sproule is good impact player off the bench but personally i don't think he really has the footballing quality to command a starting spot in a top championship side.

We will need to because we are certain to lose 2 strikers in Trundle and John

7 points to make up in 6 games is far too much to ask.

What do we need to improve for next season?

Maybe, but I always believe and we all know how erratic the results can be in this league. I do get the feeling that none of the current top 6 will really slip up but I see no reason to not hope that they do because as Man United showed today, even the best teams can slip up when you don't expect them to.

Loose or draw ANY of our six-pointers and it's over. Beyond that- WE ALWAYS BELIEEEEVE...

I hopw we're stil in in it at Easter because I've got my 4th trip to Bristol planned...

This may bite me on the behind, but I reckon the play offs are over.

We've left it too late and one point from six in a key time is not going to do it.

Burnley winning did us no favours at all.

On the point on strengthening - I think Wilson can cover McIndoe if need be but right wing is a massive problem.

Sproule has frustrated me now for 2 seasons in a row. He has the pace but I just have absolutely no confidence every time he gets through that he's going to score.

A quality right winger and a strengthening of the midfield for me would be good.

How about McGugan from Forest if they go down?

Need a striker because Dele will be a year older and Trundle and John will be off.

This may bite me on the behind, but I reckon the play offs are over.

We've left it too late and one point from six in a key time is not going to do it.

Burnley winning did us no favours at all.

On the point on strengthening - I think Wilson can cover McIndoe if need be but right wing is a massive problem.

Sproule has frustrated me now for 2 seasons in a row. He has the pace but I just have absolutely no confidence every time he gets through that he's going to score.

A quality right winger and a strengthening of the midfield for me would be good.

How about McGugan from Forest if they go down?

Need a striker because Dele will be a year older and Trundle and John will be off.

As per my post above i totally agree with right winger.

However with Dele, Akinde, Styeyvar and Maynard we will still have 4 strikers and as johnson has said recently he doesnt like to pad out the squad. Do you think we will see another big striker signing or just pick up a cheap replacement for trundle/john?

Replace Trundle! problem is, we will need to move him on first, given his poor return at leeds and the cost of his wages I can't see anyone who could afford it coming in for him, I reckon more likely a season long loan with us paying part of his wages ala stewart.

Sad to see, but if it ain't working after two season's I doubt it will improve in the next.

As for this season I agree with Hicksy, It used to be when Sproule got running at defenders with the ball that something was going to happen, now it's just feeling of the ja vu....oh well maybe next time.

7 points to make up in 6 games is far too much to ask.

Definitely not.

Burnley have to play away to Derby, Cardiff and Southampton, in that order, all of whom need the points. Their home games are aginst QPR, Sheff United and us. If they take more than 8 or 9 points from that lot I will be surprised.

Swansea are falling away and have games away at Cardiff and Sheff United.

Preston have to play us, Cardiff and Birmingham, not to mention a local derby against Blackpool.

Weve had a bit of bad luck last 2/3 games, if that turns its not inconceivable we could go on another run like the one from mid January, and win 4 or 5 of the next 5 games.

That would set up the game at Burnley very nicely.

Definitely not.

Burnley have to play away to Derby, Cardiff and Southampton, in that order, all of whom need the points. Their home games are aginst QPR, Sheff United and us. If they take more than 8 or 9 points from that lot I will be surprised.

Preston have to play us, Cardiff and Birmingham, not to mention a local derby against Blackpool.

Weve had a bit of bad luck last 2/3 games, if that turns its not inconceivable we could go on another run like the one from mid January, and win 4 or 5 of the next 5 games.

As Nick says it's not impossible but we are pretty much in win all our games territory now. 6 wins would give us 76 points. 5 wins and a draw would give us 74. Anything less than that is unlikely to be enough. So we have to win all our home games and Forest and get 4 points from Swansea and Burnley.

A tough ask but not impossible....

Interestingly the bookies still have us at only 14-1 for promotion which I find rather on the low side.

As Nick says it's not impossible but we are pretty much in win all our games territory now. 6 wins would give us 76 points. 5 wins and a draw would give us 74. Anything less than that is unlikely to be enough. So we have to win all our home games and Forest and get 4 points from Swansea and Burnley.

A tough ask but not impossible....

Interestingly the bookies still have us at only 14-1 for promotion which I find rather on the low side.

All our rivals have to play each other, not to mention Birmingham/Reading, and away games at places like Norwich, Southampton and Derby, points will be dropped. Swansea will struggle to even finish in the top half.

Ive done the Championship Predictor thing, with us winning our home games and Forest, and a draw at Swansea.

That combined with other predicted, realistic, results, leaves us in 6th place on 71 going into the last game, a point ahead of Burnley with nobody else able to catch us.

All our rivals have to play each other, not to mention Birmingham/Reading, and away games at places like Norwich, Southampton and Derby, points will be dropped. Swansea will struggle to even finish in the top half.

Ive done the Championship Predictor thing, with us winning our home games and Forest, and a draw at Swansea.

That combined with other predicted, realistic, results, leaves us in 6th place on 71 going into the last game, a point ahead of Burnley with nobody else able to catch us.

Not a bad scenario to be going into on the last day of the season, I must admit! Here's to hoping results go our way!

And a completely hypothetical/bit random point, I might prefer us to be 1 point behind, in 7th, going into that last game. Either way it's in our own hands, but we wouldn't be able to sit back 'psychologically' and play for a draw. Anyway.....

Play-offs are beyond us now we would need to win pretty much everygame and on current form cant see us doing that.

I say get the youngsters in give them some valuable experience and see if their up for the task who knows may save us spending quite a bit in the summer. Get Akinde back, give Wilson a go and see if the likes of Plummer and Artus are worth a new contract.

As for next season new right winger (maybe someone who can play on both flanks for replacement aswell for Mcindoe if injured, suspended, loss of form, etc). Experienced striker who can come in and score week in week out!

Definitely not.

We failed to beat Blackpool at home ran Derby ragged and got nothing, let Cardiff back in for a point; we have given it away in the past weeks our frontmen are not scoring enough and our lynch pin in defence is out;

We did have a fair chance of the play offs, but its a blessing in disquise as we arent ready for the prem quite yet. :noexpression:

Sorry to those who want to believe but it aint going to happen,.,.,., not yet.

Archived