IGNORED

What Next For "this Group Of Players"?

headhunter

Gary has often used the phrase "this group of players" to describe his men and the fact that we must show them "respect as they got us where we are today".

To a large degree "this group of players" are the same bunch that got us out of league one. 8 members of the starting line up against Coventry played a big part in our promotion: Basso, Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister, Johnson, Fontaine, McIndoe. What they have achieved is beyond expectation.

Last season seduced us into believing that we had arrived. if we had finished,say, 17th then this seasons likely 8th would have been another step in the right direction.

Our Christmas & early new year run put us in a position to make another credible challenge but one win in 6 has blown it for us.

So, looking forward what does GJ do?

The pluses this season have been the emergence of Skuse as an effective box to box midfielder to rival Elliott, Fontaine coming of age as a Championship defender and Williams showing [when fit] that the realising of Carle and the demise of Noble perhaps weren't so bad after all. What else?

Well, Maynard might come good but at £2.25m that should be sooner rather than later. How will GJ freshen things up in the summer, will his hand be forced by other clubs coming in for some of our players?

We have a credble pair of youngsters who should feature next campaign in Ribeiro & Wilson and if our play off chance is gone with 3 games to go then I think we should try a pairing of Akinde & Maynard.

I still think our underlying problem is midfield so I'll stop there as I don't want to go on another LJ bashing tirade!!

I imagine GJ, with his high standards, will only interpret this season as a failure. As such, I imagine there will be some tinkering with the team in the summer. My guess is will see a new forward and a couple of midfielders including a left-sided player. Although the defence has generally been good, I wonder who the long term successor for Carey will be.

Gary has often used the phrase "this group of players" to describe his men and the fact that we must show them "respect as they got us where we are today".

To a large degree "this group of players" are the same bunch that got us out of league one. 8 members of the starting line up against Coventry played a big part in our promotion: Basso, Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister, Johnson, Fontaine, McIndoe. What they have achieved is beyond expectation.

Last season seduced us into believing that we had arrived. if we had finished,say, 17th then this seasons likely 8th would have been another step in the right direction.

Our Christmas & early new year run put us in a position to make another credible challenge but one win in 6 has blown it for us.

The pluses this season have been the emergence of Skuse as an effective box to box midfielder to rival Elliott, Fontaine coming of age as a Championship defender and Williams showing [when fit] that the realising of Carle and the demise of Noble perhaps weren't so bad after all. What else?

Well, Maynard might come good but at £2.25m that should be sooner rather than later. How will GJ freshen things up in the summer, will his hand be forced by other clubs coming in for some of our players?

We have a credble pair of youngsters who should feature next campaign in Ribeiro & Wilson and if our play off chance is gone with 3 games to go then I think we should try a pairing of Akinde & Maynard.

I still think our underlying problem is midfield so I'll stop there as I don't want to go on another LJ bashing tirade!!

As long as this same bunch of players don't lose the motivation at the start of next season, like they did at the start of this season, I don't think to much needs to be done.

In fact, thats what annoys me. I'm sure if we go back to a vast majority of our posts last July/August.....those comments will pretty much be repeated this summer. We NEED QUALITY! Last summer the fans said we needed a proven striker, a creative midfielder and a winger......and the same still applies. Get those three players....and I don't mean raid Swindon for a Simon Cox...someone who isnt Championship proven

Players like Rob Hulse, proven at this standard and a right handful. Go get a Tommy Smith from Watford, or an Andrew Surman from Southampton, Darren Ambrose would be a cheap addition.......these are the type of players we HAVE to bring in now if we want to really push for top 6 next year. I'm not saying all of them, but at one or two quality additions is a must

"What next for this group of players?"

Well...going by GJ's interviews over the course of the season, I believe his faith in this group of players is slowly diminishing over the season. He has more times than not criticised the team for not playing as they should, and importantly, to the tactics he has laid out to them. To use his words after a couple of poor performances, "that was not a Gary Johnson team out there today". For me, this says it all and you can see the lack of energy in many of his post match interviews. GJ accepts that the team will get beaten, but players hiding and relying on past good performances and achievements is not enough anymore.

For me, and possibly GJ, its time for some new faces. Not a complete overhaul, but some new players who will buy into his philosophy again and "freshen" things up on and off the pitch. It appears that some players and squad members have become accustomed to the workings of GJ and are just going through the motions without having any real pressure put on to them to perform. I believe this was one of the reasons Styvar was brought in. Not because he is an exceptional player who will win us the league straight away, but someone who will bust a gut and make players look over their shoulders.

Finally, and for me, if we really harbor any hopes of getting to the Prem one day, we need to have more a mix of quality and energy, than pure energy and enthusiasm to get results. Energy and enthusiasm will get you so far, but as shown, it is just not enough to get us where we want to be. This may be a difficult task, but not impossible.

Don't include McIndoe as he only joined last season, but the others have all proved they can cut it at this level and we should keep hold of them for at least another season.

Personally I'm quite happy with our midfield, got a nice combination in there.

If we don't beat Preston I'd poss give Ribeiro & Wilson a go and stick Styvar up front with Maynard. Not sure how long Akinde's loan is for but he may as well see it out with Wycombe.

Overall quite happy with the season, it was always going to be tricky 2nd season so to still have something to play for with six games to go will do for me.

Don't need to tinker with the squad too much basically. Have faith in the manager's philosophy.

I think G.J.'s biggest fault is he has been far too loyal to certain players, who he's put all his faith in.

He must realise by now, that you can't blame players as they are never going to be able to progress above a certain level, but have bust a gut for the cause.

We now need to increase the quality level if we are to progress, and thank them for their sterling efforts, but we desperately need freshening up with new faces, hopefully quality players with pace and power and over 6ft.(we must be seen as an easy touch physically)

The trouble is in football, is we are all impatient for some success, and I prayed at Wembley watching the players troop off, that it wouldn't take another 30 years to get this close again.

When you look where we are in the scheme of things, you could now argue City have found their natural position, just out of reach of glory, but knocking on the door.

I'm sure the powers that be have now realised this, and if we are to progress to the next level unfortunately it seems you've got to spend big on proven players from a higher level, not gamble on potential.

A rock and a hard place springs to mind.

Basso

Weale

Orr Carey Fonts McCallister

Wilson Wilson McCombe Ribs

? Williams Elliot McCindoe

Sproule LJ Skuse ?

Maynard Dele

Steyvar Akinde

Quality right winger for sure, and if we don't have any young left wingers coming through some cover for mcindoe would be good aswell.

Well, if nothing else, this year has seen us avoid the 'second season syndrome' many other teams (and some of our fans) predicted we would suffer, and I for one believe the squad is stronger than last year's, regardless of league position.

Maynard and Williams have added some quality (if not consistancy), whilst Styvar and Akinde have yet to be given the 'time to shine' and may still prove shrewd additions.

James Wilson and the unfortunate Christian Ribeiro have shown that we have some young players that our management are willing to put to use, although I must admit being disapointed that the likes Frankie Artus, Tristan Plummer and the also now unfortunate Jordan Walker didn't see any Championship action.

We will need to shed a few who've either had their time or do not offer enough at this level come summer, but I'm actually pretty confident that as long as we can finish inside the top ten we'll be in a strong position to recruit a better calibre of player before next season.

Even if the likes of Skuse, Elliott, Basso and Fontaine become targets for others (and I'd suggest that Fontaine may be one of those most highly sought after) I think that we should be in a position to get good money for whoever we have to allow to leave and have a stronger, more experienced squad who could cover for one or two losses (Elliott's prolonged absence has shown this).

Investment will be needed, but I trust that the management will have already been working to shore us up and I have faith in their ability to find us the right men to contiune our progress.

Al-in-all it is a shame that a second jaunt in the playoffs looks a bit too far away now, but I would say this is all part of the 'upward curve'.

Two Championship seasons and a third on the way, a new £1 million training ground, an ambitious and widely respected manager, a chairman willing to invest but prudent enough not to run us into the ground and plans in place for a new stadium within 5 years; I think things could be a lot worse personally.

Sticking to "this group of players" has been our success. Has any team in English football had the same success over two season with only a plus 7 goal difference?

But changes need to come if only to permanent this standard and on the day make it to the top flight. Sticking to the same group of players is not the answer. I believe we need to strenghten with at least three young midfielders (shoulden't even look at anyone over 23). One right, one central and one leftsided player. We also need a young striker for John. Prefarably all should be foreign players. Basso is outstanding. Central defence are really great and I don't believe in wasting money on right and left wing backs.

Between Basso and Weale we are more than capable.

On different occasions I have both seen and heard good things on Riberio and as such am very much hopeful that he makes a full recovery and comes in to compete at full back. Wilson should make a natural progression and begin to challenge at centre back so I think, on the whole, we are pretty solid at the back, providing no-one leaves.

Midfield is an interesting one. Sproule, beside a patch around Christmas, has never consistently delivered and you have to feel that he is runing out of time to prove his all round worth to the squad. Personally I would stick with him, at least for one more season, as he has, on occasion, proved a real and genuine threat to opposing back lines. McIndoe has been patchy this year but is still heavily depended on. However whilst the notion of 'competition for places' continues to arise, over the summer we should ideally be looking toward strengthening on what we already have rather than reinforcing those that are here.

Cole Skuse has single handidly enhanced our central options, which with Elliot our starting midfield 'General', Williams our creative outlet and Johnson the 'ball retainer' suddenly has a much more complete feel to it. Indeed with that quartet all fit and raring to go, it appears clear that Johnson (Gary) is more prone to making the 'holes fit the pegs' than vice versa,

The presence of Lee Johnson will continue to court controversy, and perhaps rightly so when it could be argued that the change in formation is to primarily accomodate him - Elliot and Williams will be much vaunted as our central midfield partnership by many over the summer.

Up front we must hope that Trundle finds work elsewhere and assume that John will. Thus working from that basis we will go into next year with Maynard, Styvar, Adebola and Akinde - in that order in my view.

At this point in time I would envisage a Maynard/Styvar partnership to start the first game of next year with Adebola confined to frequent cameo roles from the bench as his admirable career begins its final chapter.

We very much have the tools to acquit ourselves next season and, with the exception of the right flank (and to a lesser extent the left one), there really are now few areas which scream out for strengthening.

Weale/Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine McCalister/Riberio

'New Signing' Williams Elliot McIndoe

Maynard Styvar

alternatively,

Weale/Basso

Elliot Johnson Williams

'New Signing'/Sproule/Maynard McIndoe/Adebola

Styvar

As unexciting as it may seem, I think virtually all of the pieces are currently in place. The focus early next season/pre January will be on Styvar's emergence and the central midfield battle which, with the late season progressions of both Skuse and Williams, has gone from a priority area of need to a hive of existing competition.

I seem to remember him saying before the Cardiff game on sky that he has gave this group of players a chance to make up for next season (or something on those lines) the way he said it made me think if we werent to get playoffs he would be looking to get a few in and an few out in the summer.

On different occasions I have both seen and heard good things on Riberio and as such am very much hopeful that he makes a full recovery and comes in to compete at full back. Wilson should make a natural progression and begin to challenge at centre back so I think, on the whole, we are pretty solid at the back, providing no-one leaves.

Midfield is an interesting one. Sproule, beside a patch around Christmas, has never consistently delivered and you have to feel that he is runing out of time to prove his all round worth to the squad. Personally I would stick with him, at least for one more season, as he has, on occasion, proved a real and genuine threat to opposing back lines. McIndoe has been patchy this year but is still heavily depended on. However whilst the notion of 'competition for places' continues to arise, over the summer we should ideally be looking toward strengthening on what we already have rather than reinforcing those that are here.

Cole Skuse has single handidly enhanced our central options, which with Elliot our starting midfield 'General', Williams our creative outlet and Johnson the 'ball retainer' suddenly has a much more complete feel to it. Indeed with that quartet all fit and raring to go, it appears clear that Johnson (Gary) is more prone to making the 'holes fit the pegs' than vice versa,

The presence of Lee Johnson will continue to court controversy, and perhaps rightly so when it could be argued that the change in formation is to primarily accomodate him - Elliot and Williams will be much vaunted as our central midfield partnership by many over the summer.

Up front we must hope that Trundle finds work elsewhere and assume that John will. Thus working from that basis we will go into next year with Maynard, Styvar, Adebola and Akinde - in that order in my view.

At this point in time I would envisage a Maynard/Styvar partnership to start the first game of next year with Adebola confined to frequent cameo roles from the bench as his admirable career begins its final chapter.

We very much have the tools to acquit ourselves next season and, with the exception of the right flank (and to a lesser extent the left one), there really are now few areas which scream out for strengthening.

Weale/Basso

Maynard Styvar

alternatively,

Weale/Basso

Elliot Johnson Williams

Styvar

As unexciting as it may seem, I think virtually all of the pieces are currently in place. The focus early next season/pre January will be on Styvar's emergence and the central midfield battle which, with the late season progressions of both Skuse and Williams, has gone from a priority area of need to a hive of existing competition.

Where are the two Wilsons in your squad for next year?

Weale/Basso

Maynard Styvar

alternatively,

Weale/Basso

Elliot Johnson Williams

Styvar

Styvar won't emerge if he's not picked to play and if I was him I would be pretty pissed off right now for being dropped by my national side which is simply due to the fact he cant prove himself because he aint playing!

robinmad;

James Wilson would be with McCombe in providing central defensive cover, Brian Wilson would be amongst my substitutes due to his versatility.

Steve From Wales;

Styvar's path to the first team is currently blocked by Maynard, Adebola and John. He clearly needs time to adjust to the English life and game, and whilst we are still in with a shot of the play-offs his appearances will be fleeting.

John will surely depart in the summer and with a full pre-season behind him he (Styvar) will surely be given the opportunity to form a partnership with Maynard next term.

Well, if nothing else, this year has seen us avoid the 'second season syndrome' many other teams (and some of our fans) predicted we would suffer, and I for one believe the squad is stronger than last year's, regardless of league position.

Maynard and Williams have added some quality (if not consistancy), whilst Styvar and Akinde have yet to be given the 'time to shine' and may still prove shrewd additions.

James Wilson and the unfortunate Christian Ribeiro have shown that we have some young players that our management are willing to put to use, although I must admit being disapointed that the likes Frankie Artus, Tristan Plummer and the also now unfortunate Jordan Walker didn't see any Championship action.

We will need to shed a few who've either had their time or do not offer enough at this level come summer, but I'm actually pretty confident that as long as we can finish inside the top ten we'll be in a strong position to recruit a better calibre of player before next season.

Even if the likes of Skuse, Elliott, Basso and Fontaine become targets for others (and I'd suggest that Fontaine may be one of those most highly sought after) I think that we should be in a position to get good money for whoever we have to allow to leave and have a stronger, more experienced squad who could cover for one or two losses (Elliott's prolonged absence has shown this).

Investment will be needed, but I trust that the management will have already been working to shore us up and I have faith in their ability to find us the right men to contiune our progress.

Al-in-all it is a shame that a second jaunt in the playoffs looks a bit too far away now, but I would say this is all part of the 'upward curve'.

Two Championship seasons and a third on the way, a new £1 million training ground, an ambitious and widely respected manager, a chairman willing to invest but prudent enough not to run us into the ground and plans in place for a new stadium within 5 years; I think things could be a lot worse personally.

I agree fully with this. We need a right-winger, not to lose any of our key players to predatory clubs, and other than that, we're in a good state for next season.

Sensible replies all.

My thoughts;

The whole squad lacks goals, no real goalscoring midfielder, though McIndoe's done ok, no prolific front man, no centre half good for 5 or 6.

A lack of left footed options means Fontaine gets moved to LB whenever McAllister is injured or suspended, that's not right and the 2 young lads (Ribeiro and J.Wilson) are right footed, Myrie-Williams is going so we have no cover for McIndoe, either.

We need a quality wide right player like Campbell-Ryce or Croft and then Williams/Skuse/Elliott and L.Johnson can compete for 2 places.

Signings need to start to get younger, more Maynards now and less Adebolas, brilliant though he's been for us.

To go that extra bit further now......What we need are:-

Salt & Vinegar

Cheese & Onion

Sweet hot chili

With some plain ready salted.....

In short, some good reliable combinations and a bit of spice

Gary must know his crisps, but what he really does not have at present is that winning combination of flavours

We can taste very good but we are not at a point that the balance is so good that we can meet every taste challenge?

Archived