IGNORED

Championship Striker

mikebrenn

Maybe the reason we've struggled for strikers in recent years is that we chop and change so often ?

If GJ is serious in his belief that Maynard, Styvar and Akinde are "ones for the future" we need to see at least another season out of them - going out and buying another set of strikers won't necessarily fix the problem.

We're not far off being a really good side and maybe a little faith in what we have is all we need.

If you read this thread you'd think we have a rubbish midfield and nothing up front. Our defence must be the best in Europe !

Unless you've been supporting us for 5 minutes cast your mind way back to all of 2005, one of our strikers scored 29 times in a season, hardly buried in the mists of time, was it?

I think the reasons why no striker has scored prolifically under Johnson are varied;

First one, the manager places a lot of emphasis on work rate and contributing to the team, finding a player who does that and scores prolifically isn't so easy.

Second one, many of our strikers haven't been as deadly in front of goal as we'd like, I can recall many very presentable chances missed by all of them.

Finally, we don't, either from the flanks or the middle, create as many chances as we should either, that isn't down to one individual though, it is a collective thing.

don't forget fourthly, there is the possibility that defences and keepers are better in this division

:tumbleweed:

let me start by saying even if we don't make the playoffs,we have had two excellent seasons back in the championship.yet again though i think its going to be the lack of goals that are going to stop us reaching the promised land.i don't want to put blame on n,maynard,i feel he as done ok in his first season in the championship,and will only get better as he gets older,and gains more experience.but i do feel if we want to reach the Premier League,we need to sign a kevin phillips type strikerwho as seen it and done it at this level.ok he might want 20 grand a week ,but thats cheap at half the price if he gets you in the top flight.

Isn't this exactly what Stern John is?! 19 goals last season for Southampton...

I like John as a player and feels he offers alot to the team...BUT a large amount of people see him as a lazy, useless waste of space here just for his final few pay days. I don't think we want another one of those :noexpression:

A 20-30 goal a year (every year) player at any level is gold dust, in the ccc almost unheard of for more than a year.

The whole team now is based around work ethic and squeezing out results, any striker would struggle. But i think that we have a very young average age for strikers (stern not included!), they will only get better so we need some patience. As for blaming the midfield? In blaming them, you are blaming GJ for his tactics, which have got us to where we are now.

All in all, next year will be more prosperous in front of goal, i promise, if we're not i'll eat Greg Goodridges left foot!

looking back accross the last 3-4 years there is barely a striker who has consistently got 15 league goals let alone 20.

I think that when people talk of the fabled 20 goal a season striker, we should be more realistic and settle for a 15 goal striker.

i reckon maynard has the ability to make that one day, but agree we could do with one who we think might get them straight away.

problem is anyone who becomes available is prob going to get pinched by a 'bigger' championship club with a bigger wage budget.

Looks like we wont be using loans as per usual, lower league strikers havent been working well for us (Trundle, Maynard) or others (Billy Sharp), so it might have to be more steyvar style foreign signings??

personally id love to see steyvar and maynard start up front all through pre-season and see if they can hit it off

A 20-30 goal a year (every year) player at any level is gold dust, in the ccc almost unheard of for more than a year.

The whole team now is based around work ethic and squeezing out results, any striker would struggle. But i think that we have a very young average age for strikers (stern not included!), they will only get better so we need some patience. As for blaming the midfield? In blaming them, you are blaming GJ for his tactics, which have got us to where we are now.

All in all, next year will be more prosperous in front of goal, i promise, if we're not i'll eat Greg Goodridges left foot!

Not too sure about strikers having a " very young average age " ?

Adebola 34 in june.

John 33 in October

Trundle 33 in October.

Styvar 29 in August

Maynard 23 in December.

That leaves 2 regular Academy strikers and Akinde who is yet to start for City having 2 appearances from the bench.

GJ has offerred Adebola a new contract, however he's currently playing around 65 minutes a game, Trundle cant get a start and still has a year left on his contract. Adebola, John and Trundle wont suddenly improve with age, and without those 3 on the wage bill, we could perhaps get 2 players in the 21-26 range, rather than over 30 and on the slide.

Not too sure about strikers having a " very young average age " ?

Adebola 34 in june.

John 33 in October

Trundle 33 in October.

Styvar 29 in August

Maynard 23 in December.

That leaves 2 regular Academy strikers and Akinde who is yet to start for City having 2 appearances from the bench.

GJ has offerred Adebola a new contract, however he's currently playing around 65 minutes a game, Trundle cant get a start and still has a year left on his contract. Adebola, John and Trundle wont suddenly improve with age, and without those 3 on the wage bill, we could perhaps get 2 players in the 21-26 range, rather than over 30 and on the slide.

I completly discounted Trundle as i don't think he'll be here next year and Adebola will just be making cameo appearances here and there. I actually thought Styvar was younger though, my bad!

I think that when people talk of the fabled 20 goal a season striker, we should be more realistic and settle for a 15 goal striker.

i reckon maynard has the ability to make that one day, but agree we could do with one who we think might get them straight away.

Isn't Maynard that already?

Given his goal tally so far, the number of remaining games and the number of games he's been out injured his pro-rated tally looks just about fine.

We aren't going to pay crazy wages for a proven striker, especially in this economic climate. Footballers are taking a long time to realise times are hard out in our world, and need to start accepting realistic wages. We should be looking at the non league sides for promising strikers who aren't going to be looking for a king's ransom to play for us each week! Prolific goal scoring at non league level doesn't always transfer to higher leagues, but it has happened in the past.

There may be a gem out there that isn't going to take this club into administration, so let's hope Pete Johnson is out there checking what's about.

STYVAR will come good, I think we will see a much different side of him next season. We have seen a few glimpses and a good preseason, him and Maynard will be great for us next season.

I look forward to the day Maynard and Styvar regularly start games together and look forward to a long and productive partnership. Maynard the predator Styvar the supplier with a powerful and at times speculative shot, either foot!

Archived