IGNORED

Darius Vassell

alandicks

According to The Times Darius Vassell is surplus to requirements at Man City.

Wouldn't be a good idea to let Adebola go (to whoever is rumoured to be after him),don't sign Stern John but then go in for Vassell.An experienced ex international would surely be the better option then to holding onto Adebola & John.

Surely would be good for Maynard & Akinde to learn from.

Wouldn't be a good idea to let Adebola go (to whoever is rumoured to be after him),don't sign Stern John but then go in for Vassell.An experienced ex international would surely be the better option then to holding onto Adebola & John.

Has the bloke scored more than 50 goals in his career?

Get what you're saying about experience, but not sure he'd be what we're looking for, and his wages would rule us out anyway.

Will end up at Wolves or Birmingham - mark my words!!

i don't know about vassell he is a striker who needs good service to score alot of goals and i think we need a striker who can score goals by himself out of nothing and he is an almost identical striker to maynard but that caicedo they have would be a better quality player to go for big strong quick and puts himself about

In a word NO! Better off with Kevin Phillips than him if we want goals! If Man City are having a clear out then lets get one or 2 of their youngsters, bringing legs, enthusiasm, hunger and quality. Could get a bargain as I'm sure they wont be too bothered about how much they get for them! Goal scoring midfielder or 2 please, plus pacey centre back before August!

There is no way that he would join us even if he would consider dropping to the Championship (which I doubt anyway). And even if he did entertain the thought, I imagine he is on a minimum £25/30k per week at Man C.

I imagine if he leaves them he will end up at a low end Premier League side, someone like Stoke/Blackburn/Pompey should they stay up.

No We have strikers coming out of our ears and not the dept. we should be looking at.

Also even if we did want him his wage demands would be too steep.

To be honest, despite having quite a few strikers on our books, this is still a department we need to be looking at urgently! Most other successful clubs above us in the CCC all have at least one striker nearing or past the 20 goal mark. Our top scorer has barely past 10 goals! This is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. People can talk about strikers needing service etc... yes thats true most strikers need good service, but great strikers make goals out of nothing and thats what we are missing.

If and when dele goes we need to replace with a similar player - i would like to see iwelumo (if he's surplus to requirements at wolves!)

Couldn't touch his wage.

Indeed.

Although in reply to others responses, striker is an area we most likely will be looking at over the summer with the possible departures of Trundle, John and potentially Adebola.

If and when dele goes we need to replace with a similar player - i would like to see iwelumo (if he's surplus to requirements at wolves!)

Nice shout!

Makes you wonder though if someone like Sheff Utd might be in for him if they don't go up.

Or maybe cash strapped Rangers..

I believe we have the strikers in Maynard and Akinde to do well, I personaly would love to see them 2 playing together by the end of the season to have a look, Akinde looked good yesterday and can play with his back to goal. I think akinde will feature a lot next season.

To be honest, despite having quite a few strikers on our books, this is still a department we need to be looking at urgently! Most other successful clubs above us in the CCC all have at least one striker nearing or past the 20 goal mark. Our top scorer has barely past 10 goals! This is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned. People can talk about strikers needing service etc... yes thats true most strikers need good service, but great strikers make goals out of nothing and thats what we are missing.

to be fair though, the day city sign a "GREAT" striker is the day all my dreams come true. But we will never sign a great striker. why? because we are a small club, a very small club in comaparison to some.

the reason those players have 20 goals is they base there entire style of play around that striker. SEB has balls played in front of him, all the time! Iwelumo gets it on his head, Doyle gets it on his head from quality wingers.

NICKY gets nothing, how many of his goals have been moments of individual skill lately? most from what i recall, with gavin in the team we look like creating a few more chances! but its not enough creativity to prosper.

we'll be missing a GREAT striker for as long as you and i support this club i fear. but thats the problem with all this money in the game... ruins it as a competition :(

i don't know about vassell he is a striker who needs good service to score alot of goals and i think we need a striker who can score goals by himself out of nothing and he is an almost identical striker to maynard but that caicedo they have would be a better quality player to go for big strong quick and puts himself about

You've hit the nail on the head there. We could have Drogba up front but without decent supply even he'd be wasted.

NICKY gets nothing, how many of his goals have been moments of individual skill lately? most from what i recall, with gavin in the team we look like creating a few more chances! but its not enough creativity to prosper.

Thats simply not true. Go back to his 1st game of the season & Dele set him up with a virtual open goal, which he missed. Off the top of my head he also missed sitters v Norwich (diving header from Skuse cross), away to Wednesday (through 1v1 & put it wide) & also at QPR (volley which went a mile over).

Don't get me wrong I like Maynard a lot. I just find it frustrating that some people seem to think we don't create anything & the strikers are blameless. The reality is, at this level you rarely carve teams open time & time again. Games are often won by the team that take the 1 chance that comes their way. We do need to create more, but equally we need to be less profligate when the chances come.

Thats simply not true. Go back to his 1st game of the season & Dele set him up with a virtual open goal, which he missed. Off the top of my head he also missed sitters v Norwich (diving header from Skuse cross), away to Wednesday (through 1v1 & put it wide) & also at QPR (volley which went a mile over).

Don't get me wrong I like Maynard a lot. I just find it frustrating that some people seem to think we don't create anything & the strikers are blameless. The reality is, at this level you rarely carve teams open time & time again. Games are often won by the team that take the 1 chance that comes their way. We do need to create more, but equally we need to be less profligate when the chances come.

Derby being a prime example, they had a about 3 chances and burried 2 of them, we however had about 10 chances and converted 1

Archived