IGNORED

All These Loan Signings

Keep the Faith

There seems to have been a flurry of activity in the loan market ahead of the deadline. It's left me a little confused about the appeal of some of the deals to the respective clubs and how they end up going through.

Some I can understand. Lee Williamson to Preston for example I assume has been made as Watford have no money and Preston are looking to strengthen their squad for the run-in and have a look at a player they may want to sign in the future.

Lee Hughes to Blackpool however is a different matter. I assume that Oldham did not want to let him go. He's their top scorer with 18 goals. As far as I'm aware they are not in financial turmoil and would not be forced to loan him out for that reason.

Maybe the player asked to go and they didn't want an unhappy player. But if I was Oldham I would be thinking that I gave him a chance when nobody else would. He's been convicted or a hit and run and probably thought his career was over. Oldham gave him a chance and then when things start to go well he leaves.

It makes me think more and more how right Gary Johnson is about not bringing in loan players. I may be being a bit harsh on Lee Hughes. Maybe he didn't request to leave and its not his fault. But the attitide of players like this cannot help build a decent team spirit. If you build a squad with a large number of loan players then they are likely to have no commitment to the cause and it'll destroy the confidence of the existing squad as they wont know which one of them is next for the chop when another loanee comes in.

I think that inter-league loaning is ridiculous. How you can be allowed to loan your players out to other teams in your league and potentially influence the results of others is beyond me. This situation can be even more obvious in the Premier League where Manchester United can loan out talented youngster to a Wigan or Blackburn who then score to take points of Arsenal or Chelsea.

Loaning talented youngsters from Premier League sides for a season I can see the benefit of. But just look at what players like Luke Varney have done being loaned around. He's played for 3 different clubs this season and done nothing for all of them. I bet there were people thinking we should have signed him when he first went to Derby.

You can even look at our own side. I think that Stern John has added a different dimension to our side and done a good job but there are others who think he's lazy and a waste of space and doesn't care becasue he's on loan.

All in all I think the loan system is one that should be avoided unless you suffer a string of injuries or really can't find a player for a ceretain position. It should be a last resort.

Oldham have got financial issues and the Lee Hughes of Coventry days where he went to prison has resurfaced. Apparently he has been on the sauce and been a naughty boy. I know no more detail than that. Reading into it i guess that has something to do with John Sheridan,s demise whilst in a strong play off position.

Oldham have got financial issues and the Lee Hughes of Coventry days where he went to prison has resurfaced. Apparently he has been on the sauce and been a naughty boy. I know no more detail than that.

And now hes moving to Blackpool!!!! No good if you like a drink or 2!

Lee Hughes to Blackpool however is a different matter. I assume that Oldham did not want to let him go. He's their top scorer with 18 goals. As far as I'm aware they are not in financial turmoil and would not be forced to loan him out for that reason.

You've got to include Dexter Blackstock from QPR to Forest as well. As far as I'm aware, Blackstock was their topscorer with 12 goals this season and he arrived at Forest on loan yesterday? Why? QPR could still make a play-off place and Forest have strikers. They may not be scoring but they are more than capable in this league - Maybe a creative midfielder would have been a better option? It's all very strange I tell thee :disapointed2se:

Only desperate managers bring in lots of loan signings, this is a flaw in their ability to bring in the correct playing staff initially.

I'd partially agree with that. We've got seven loan signings at Yeovil at the moment but "desperate" pretty much sums things up. Terry Skiverton has got half the team not playing for him so by bringing the new faces in, he doesn't have to play the "rotten apples". He's been left with mainly Russell Slade players so it's not really his fault.

I'd partially agree with that. We've got seven loan signings at Yeovil at the moment but "desperate" pretty much sums things up. Terry Skiverton has got half the team not playing for him so by bringing the new faces in, he doesn't have to play the "rotten apples". He's been left with mainly Russell Slade players so it's not really his fault.

My question to you as a Yeovil fan is, how does an inexperienced manager like Terry Skiverton get 7 strangers to integrate into a struggling team to produce results? I personally think bringing in that number of fresh faces, presumably to play them all, will do more harm than good. A couple maybe, but not seven.

Somewhat like when Johnson took over at City. A few of the regulars didn't seem to want to play for him initially so he was forced to loan in just about anyone he could find to prove a point.

That said, in Weale and Noble Yeovil have got a couple of top players so it's not quite like Youga, Sankofa, Quinn, Green etc.

You've got to include Dexter Blackstock from QPR to Forest as well. As far as I'm aware, Blackstock was their topscorer with 12 goals this season and he arrived at Forest on loan yesterday? Why? QPR could still make a play-off place and Forest have strikers. They may not be scoring but they are more than capable in this league - Maybe a creative midfielder would have been a better option? It's all very strange I tell thee :disapointed2se:

Dexter Blackstock has fallen out of favour with the QPR manager (Souza) and is not his future plans. Either that or Blackstock had Souza in a headlock, hehehe.

BCAGFC

Somewhat like when Johnson took over at City. A few of the regulars didn't seem to want to play for him initially so he was forced to loan in just about anyone he could find to prove a point.

That said, in Weale and Noble Yeovil have got a couple of top players so it's not quite like Youga, Sankofa, Quinn, Green etc.

I quite liked Sankofa.

My question to you as a Yeovil fan is, how does an inexperienced manager like Terry Skiverton get 7 strangers to integrate into a struggling team to produce results? I personally think bringing in that number of fresh faces, presumably to play them all, will do more harm than good. A couple maybe, but not seven.

Indeed I tend to agree for example look where it got Cheltenham. Although there are a mix of experienced and young players so it may be enough to keep Yeovil up you never know.

Archived