IGNORED

Transfers

Tom Fleuriot

Was reading the Trundle thread and it got me thinking. Johnson is rubbish at transfers full stop!

Think about it - Johnson could have bought this squad in the last two years.

GK - Basso (We'll stick with him - absolute bargain)

RB - not sure.

LB - not sure

CB - Fontaine (free again, we'll keep him I reckon)

CB - Scott Dann (free from Walsall. Come on GJ, keep up).

MF - Elliott (Likewise - bargain)

MF - carsley? Maybe makes us a bit defensive

LW - Kightly (Nominal fee? That's almost free! - must be less than McIndoe)

RW - Kris Commons (free again. HOW IS GJ MISSING THESE BARGAINS?!!)

ST - McCormack (free - I'll have some of that. Much better than £2M)

ST - Scotland (Nominal fee from St Johnstone).

So there you have it. Add in players we already had, like Carey, Orr, er... Stewart, Phillips, Bridges, and Brooker. Seems to me that Johnson could have had a much better squad without blowing about £4 million. What a waste of money. What's wrong with his hindsight?

Although looking at it, I'm pretty chuffed that we've got a couple in there at least.

Lee Camp cost more than our goalkeepers.

Leigertwood cost more than our defence.

Jobi McAnuff cost more than our midfield 6.

Rob Earnshaw cost more than our 6 first choice strikers.

Yeah, I've changed my mind.

Despite thinking they are the big cheeses, many players don't like moving away from their Mums and therefore find it hard to move away from the Midlands/North/London regions.

Moving to Bristol does put a lot of players off I reckon.

Was reading the Trundle thread and it got me thinking. Johnson is rubbish at transfers full stop!

RB - not sure.

LB - not sure

So there you have it. Add in players we already had, like Carey, Orr, er... Stewart, Phillips, Bridges, and Brooker. Seems to me that Johnson could have had a much better squad without blowing about £4 million. What a waste of money. What's wrong with his hindsight?

Although looking at it, I'm pretty chuffed that we've got a couple in there at least.

You forgot to mention Orr at RB. Johnson actually signed him because, as I recall, Orr was a free agent available to sign for anyone when Johnson recently secured his services. Bargain!

What's an ST?

But not moving to Cardiff? - its down to money pure and simple.

I think if you want to give that little bit more "encouragement" then money is the most important factor. But when combined with a stricter wage structure, Bristol may not be the most appealing Championship move.

I think if you want to give that little bit more "encouragement" then money is the most important factor. But when combined with a stricter wage structure, Bristol may not be the most appealing Championship move.

I don't see why any other city in the Championship is more appealing. QPR perhaps to those who want to live in London? Can't say many people would want to move to and live in Birmingham (grotty), Reading (boring), Sheffield (ok), Swansea ("pretty s****y city" as TwinTown labelled it), Norwich (where?) or Plymouth (France isn't it?) for example. Some towns (Derby, Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry may be closer to a potential player's home but Bristol isn't badly connected.

Johnson is rubbish at transfers full stop!.... ERR were in the top ten clubs in the English CCC, if my memory serves me correct we were in the relegation mire of leauge one aka division 3 when Mr Johnson took over this club. Give the bloke some slack, every manager in worldwide football makes the odd error in transfers, I'm sure Liverpool thought they were getting a 20 goal per season striker in Robbie Kean and I'm sure Man City fans thought they were going to be up there with the English top 3 with their signings. Give it a little more time and see what Johnson can really do. We are in a good position as regards finances unlike a lot of other clubs, and the list of southamptons and Charltons will grow over the next couple of years meaning theres going to be rich pickings in he transfer market for clubs in Citys position

You forgot to mention Orr at RB. Johnson actually signed him because, as I recall, Orr was a free agent available to sign for anyone when Johnson recently secured his services. Bargain!

What's an ST?

Johnson actually did not sign Orr. Orr was here before GJ arrived at the Gate.

RB - not sure.

LB - not sure

You say all that but how do you know that a player is going to be good before you have signed them?????

Elliot was a bargain, Fontaine was a bargain, Williams was a bargain, McCombe was a bargain, McAllister was a bargain, McIndoe (on a free) was a bargain.

How can you say Johnson has been rubbish at signings?

You say all that but how do you know that a player is going to be good before you have signed them?????

Elliot was a bargain, Fontaine was a bargain, Williams was a bargain, McCombe was a bargain, McAllister was a bargain, McIndoe (on a free) was a bargain.

How can you say Johnson has been rubbish at signings?

Read the post again mate,particularly the last sentence it was just a wind up!

i think the poster was alluding to his recent re-signing rather than original deal

You have surmised my alludations perfectly. I guess Rednready didn't recognise that my post was in the spirit of the original post. :tongue:

Archived