IGNORED

What's The Academy For?

SimplyRed

Perhaps you just regard the moans and groans as normal then.

No.

I'm saying City supporters are true to their name in this respect and make a concerted effort to actively encourage young players.

I've never heard the crowd moan about a youngster or negatively intimidate them in any way, quite the opposite, the reaction has always been extremely posiitve and encouraging.

It was indeed brave, and that's really the point.

Regardless of personnel available, in a game Man U felt they had to win (just like us), Ferguson took a high risk approach to try and collect all three points. It won't always work, but on this occasion it did and fair play to him for that.

I feel, in the context of our game against Preston, a similar gamble would have been worthwhile. It may have cost us a point, but I feel it was a risk worth taking, given the potential reward.

Why do you think GJ didn't "take the gamble"? I can't understand this as his normal approach is to go after 3 points even if it means losing out on one. And that's for a standard game not a "cup final"!

After 75mins I thought the game was crying out for 3 at the back for 3 up front (John for McAllister perhaps).

For sure, Preston were dangerous on the counterattack but this was a risk worth taking IMHO.

Why do you think GJ didn't "take the gamble"? I can't understand this as his normal approach is to go after 3 points even if it means losing out on one. And that's for a standard game not a "cup final"!

After 75mins I thought the game was crying out for 3 at the back for 3 up front (John for McAllister perhaps).

For sure, Preston were dangerous on the counterattack but this was a risk worth taking IMHO.

Thats a question that only main man could answer along with the general timing of the substitutions that I am still finding difficult to understand.

I beleive a "brave" decision was needed and that could well have been a young, raw and eager talent, desperate to make an impression, if we havn't got those sort of characters at the club, then if I had my hand on the purse strings I would want to know why.

Gary was brave when 2-0 down at Stoke last year at half time, when it was two little two late but those same perosnel dragaged the team out of a poor run of form and made sure of the play-offs. Saturday needed something similar but on this occasion the manager was lacking and only he knows why.

I can only suppose he thought a point was more valuable than I did.

Time will tell, I guess. But a point was worth more to Man U in their game than it was to us in ours, yet they gambled. So I'm really at a loss as to why we didn't risk all (not that I think it would have been that risky anyway. It's not like we were bringing on untried kids).

Unsure we have any genuine supertars in the youth ranks currently but it does seem that ribeiro and j.wilson are top of that pile.

GJ was obviously going to bring Ribs in this season before he got injured so that doesnt really count as a snub.

J.Wilson had a very succesful loan spell at brentford and has made the bench on a few occasions now, but cvan you really blame GJ for not bringing him into a team who were genuinely fighting for promotion when we have 2 class centrebacks and a pretty decent backup in mcombe that he would also want to keep happy with games.

I'm sure we will now see at least a few cameos from J.wilson before season is out now that the pressure is off a bit. Probaly have to wait till next season for ribs though on advice of medical team.

With plummer and artus being offered new contracts I'm sure they will get a chance eventually, especially if they can really put some good performance in out on loan (as artus has been recently)

all is not lost at the academy!

I can only suppose he thought a point was more valuable than I did.

Time will tell, I guess. But a point was worth more to Man U in their game than it was to us in ours, yet they gambled. So I'm really at a loss as to why we didn't risk all (not that I think it would have been that risky anyway. It's not like we were bringing on untried kids).

GJ said in his post match interview that if they'd lost they'd have been right out of it, so sounds like not unhappy with a point.

The bottom line is that Bristol and the West Country as a rule has never had any great tradition of producing top class footballers. Now and again we get a thread on here trying to name Bristolians who have played for England in the last 40 years, we normally get Gary Mabbutt and Keith Curle and that's about it.

How many Bristolians have made their mark in the premier league since its inception? As well as Curle, there has been Holloway and Marcus Stewart. Interestingly all the above named came through the Gas youth ranks. There will have been some bit part players like Liam Rosenior and a lad who used to play for Newcastle whose name escapes me, which just about sums it up. :disapointed2se:

The 2 players who we got big bucks for from the academy-ish (Lita and Cotterill) were from London and Cardiff.

You can debate the reasons for this, but this part of the county is not a conveyor belt of footballing talent in the way that Liverpool, Geordieland and other big industrialised cities of the North/Midlands,and the London area. Try the same test of recent England/Premier players from the rest of the West Country. I can think of Shaun Taylor from Plymouth (1 season with Swindon) and Cornishman Nigel Martyn (Gas again!) Obviously there are a few more but they don't roll off the keyboard.

Plenty of players from other regions have come through the Bristol clubs and gone on to make a mark in top class football (Andy Cole a great example plus the likes of Jason Roberts) but how this lack of local talent can change I don't know. Certainly in our top flight days of the late 70s a good few local lads esatblished themselves, Tainton, Mabbutt, Collier etc.

But the answer to what would we do with a Rooney - see Marvin Brown, maybe :noexpression:

Archived