IGNORED

Disappointed

SimplyRed

I was a little deflated after today's game.

We had many chances to win it, but again failed to convert.

From the way Preston were playing, I knew they were likely to nick a goal - and I was proved right - but we should still have won.

My problem at the moment is that the coaching team (and I include Millen in this) seem bereft of ideas to change things in order to press home our advantage.

Johnson seems incapable of making a change at the right time to freshen up the play. The token substitutions at the death were worthless and were obviously a time-wasting tactic, inferring he was happy with the draw.

While Johnson, the club and others on this forum would strongly and vehemently deny any so-called nepotism on Johnson's part, and I certainly feel that Johnson truly believes his son is worth a place in the side, it is becoming ever more apparent to me that his opinion of his son's value to the team is misguided.

Williams, in the 6 minutes he managed to get on the field, made us much more positive going forward and created two good chances. It just beggars belief that Lee Johnson can keep him out of the side.

I can accept that Elliott is, perhaps, on his way back from injury and deserved only a place on the bench, but he and Williams should have been on earlier and you can only conclude that his desire to keep his son on the field prevented that.

I was a little deflated after today's game.

We had many chances to win it, but again failed to convert.

From the way Preston were playing, I knew they were likely to nick a goal - and I was proved right - but we should still have won.

My problem at the moment is that the coaching team (and I include Millen in this) seem bereft of ideas to change things in order to press home our advantage.

Johnson seems incapable of making a change at the right time to freshen up the play. The token substitutions at the death were worthless and were obviously a time-wasting tactic, inferring he was happy with the draw.

While Johnson, the club and others on this forum would strongly and vehemently deny any so-called nepotism on Johnson's part, and I certainly feel that Johnson truly believes his son is worth a place in the side, it is becoming ever more apparent to me that his opinion of his son's value to the team is misguided.

Williams, in the 6 minutes he managed to get on the field, made us much more positive going forward and created two good chances. It just beggars belief that Lee Johnson can keep him out of the side.

I can accept that Elliott is, perhaps, on his way back from injury and deserved only a place on the bench, but he and Williams should have been on earlier and you can only conclude that his desire to keep his son on the field prevented that.

I fully agree with every you've written. before the game I was really feeling optimistic that we would go at Preston with all guns blazing and I said to my Son I expect the same result as last season. I thought the game started off at a lively pace and then it totally died, very disappoined.

Overall I'm satisfied that we will be in the Championship next season. however, we could be quite easily a top 6 team and the biggest let down for me this season is our midfield and I do hope GJ goes out buys a couple of decent midfield players one being of Premier League experience and one attacking that can create chances for our strikers as we only have one player who can do that at the moment and that is Williams who is slightly injury prone.

Roll on August!

Actually I reckon 6 weeks ago Gary would have made two attacking subs and probably put McCombe up front for the last 5 minutes to try to force the win as that is what he usually does. The fact he didn't yesterday just shows he had given up on the play offs. I'm more concerned that as soon as we take the lead we drop back, surrender the midfield to the opposition and hope to hang on and perhaps hit them on the break. One slip up (stand up Brad and Dele) and you've let them back into the game.

As to Lee keeping Gavin out it may have escaped your attention that they have both been in the side. The only reason Gavin didn't start yesterday was that he was not fully fit. Quite why Ivan went off while McIndoe stayed on is more of a mystery as he didn't look interested. Ross Wallace was far more impressive on the left for Preston. As a left back and left winger he would have been a great signing as we have no competition there at all.

Gary before the game declared it as a cup final.

Ok, so what happens in a cup final? You play for one outcome and one outcome only - to win. But yesterday it felt like a cup final that the manager wanted to go to extra time and penalties rather than win in 90 minutes. Gary, I'm not sure if anyone has told you - but this is the league mate. There is NO extra time and NO pentalies, we needed to win over 90 minutes and you blew that chance by not making changes soon enough.

I agree with previous posts, that it felt like he was happy to play for a draw - there was no sense of urgency about the team. With 90 minutes gone Id have sent Basso up for a corner it was that urgent! It was win or bust. We bust. Thank you Gary.

Gary before the game declared it as a cup final.

Ok, so what happens in a cup final? You play for one outcome and one outcome only - to win. But yesterday it felt like a cup final that the manager wanted to go to extra time and penalties rather than win in 90 minutes. Gary, I'm not sure if anyone has told you - but this is the league mate. There is NO extra time and NO pentalies, we needed to win over 90 minutes and you blew that chance by not making changes soon enough.

I agree with previous posts, that it felt like he was happy to play for a draw - there was no sense of urgency about the team. With 90 minutes gone Id have sent Basso up for a corner it was that urgent! It was win or bust. We bust. Thank you Gary.

Its all talk.

That was no cup final. Some players I've never seen play so half assed. Although credit to those trying, Fontaine and McCombe for example.

Its all talk.

That was no cup final. Some players I've never seen play so half assed. Although credit to those trying, Fontaine and McCombe for example.

I thought Skuse had a decent game and Maynard looked up for it too. Its just a shame Adebola had an off day. Apart from the cross for Maynards goal, I didnt see quite what Adebola brought to the game.... missed a sitter too.

Actually I reckon 6 weeks ago Gary would have made two attacking subs and probably put McCombe up front for the last 5 minutes to try to force the win as that is what he usually does. The fact he didn't yesterday just shows he had given up on the play offs. I'm more concerned that as soon as we take the lead we drop back, surrender the midfield to the opposition and hope to hang on and perhaps hit them on the break. One slip up (stand up Brad and Dele) and you've let them back into the game.

As to Lee keeping Gavin out it may have escaped your attention that they have both been in the side. The only reason Gavin didn't start yesterday was that he was not fully fit. Quite why Ivan went off while McIndoe stayed on is more of a mystery as he didn't look interested. Ross Wallace was far more impressive on the left for Preston. As a left back and left winger he would have been a great signing as we have no competition there at all.

Totally agree. I can't see any evidence to suggest that Johnson wasn't happy with a draw, which baffles me because I was certainly not happy with watching yet another stalemate at the ground that was a fortress last season.

I actually thought everybody played reasonably well. It was a good game between two decent Championship sides. There were quite a few mistakes from both sides but that was largely down to the ferocious tempo at which the game was played.

I was a little disappointed not to see more attacking players brought on earlier, but I understood the decision because really everything was working quite well and there wasn't anything obvious to change. All of the midfield was doing well, especially Sproule who looked very dangerous indeed, and both the front two were giving Preston's defence a tough time.

I do a agree that sometimes Gary doesn't seem able to change a game for the better when the team is struggling but this wasn't one of those occasions. This was the team generally playing well if not quite well enough and in a situation like that it's almost impossible to know what to do for the best.

I actually thought everybody played reasonably well. It was a good game between two decent Championship sides. There were quite a few mistakes from both sides but that was largely down to the ferocious tempo at which the game was played.

I was a little disappointed not to see more attacking players brought on earlier, but I understood the decision because really everything was working quite well and there wasn't anything obvious to change. All of the midfield was doing well, especially Sproule who looked very dangerous indeed, and both the front two were giving Preston's defence a tough time.

I do a agree that sometimes Gary doesn't seem able to change a game for the better when the team is struggling but this wasn't one of those occasions. This was the team generally playing well if not quite well enough and in a situation like that it's almost impossible to know what to do for the best.

Really?!

I found it frustratingly sloppy. For twenty minutes I was enjoying the way we played, but after that it seemed to me like we were well below our expected standard in a game that was there for the taking.

We had a ready made central midfield pairing sat on the bench to come on and bring some much needed energy for the last 20 minutes to grab us a goal, Gary didn't do anything, choosing to wait until 1 minute into injury time to shake it up a bit, absolutely baffling in a must-win game.

We had a ready made central midfield pairing sat on the bench to come on and bring some much needed energy for the last 20 minutes to grab us a goal, Gary didn't do anything, choosing to wait until 1 minute into injury time to shake it up a bit, absolutely baffling in a must-win game.

I did think it a little odd. I personally would have brought Trundle on much earlier.

The point I am making, though, is that nobody was really doing anything wrong - especially the centre midfield who were doing just fine and didn't look at all tired or to be struggling in any way, and Sproule was doing a fine job on the right wing.

nail; head; well-smitten.

My feelings precisely.

I have to say that I was similarly disappointed. I thought we lacked real urgency. It was a good, open game and I think Preston looked pretty good going forward. With a cutting edge they would have won. But, after 2 weeks off I expected a lot more from everyone. This was such a vital game to win. Where the hell was the hunger and desire once they'd equalised? And yes, Johnson's late substitutions were absolutely baffling. Only he knows why he did this.

You could also look at yesterday's result as a metaphor for our season. Not really outplayed, but never truly in control and lacking a ruthless, cutting edge to kill things off. And of course, another home draw.

I did think it a little odd. I personally would have brought Trundle on much earlier.

The point I am making, though, is that nobody was really doing anything wrong - especially the centre midfield who were doing just fine and didn't look at all tired or to be struggling in any way, and Sproule was doing a fine job on the right wing.

The central midfield pairing were absolutely pants for the majority of the 90 minutes. For example when we scored neither player in there was able to get their foot on the ball for a WHOLE TEN MINUTES afterwards eventually culminating in Preston's goal. Do you think that happens to good sides? Surely a good midfield pairing will DEMAND the ball, put their foot on it and slow the game down whilst we settle on the lead, ready to go again and kill the game off, instead of taking the easy option (for the umpteenth time this season) and keeping their mouths shut whilst the back four lump the ball aimlessly over their heads and simply hand possession to the other side.

I am sorry but there were only two bits of genuine quality in the whole game which were provide by Adebola and McIndoe. Johnson provided exactly NOTHING in the way of quality (I couldn't give two $h1t$ what the Prozone says in terms of percentage pass completion) and neither did Skuse. The rest of the game was an ample illustration of why we will end up the tenth placed outfit that many of us predicted at the start of the season - teams have worked us out, have blocked off our main supply lines and we don't possess ANYWHERE NEAR enough quality against a decent side (but nothing more) to change the outcome. As usual we ended up going aerial far too often over the ninety minutes and never remotely tested Preston's keeper.

You only have to look at our record against sides around and above us to see why we are a mid table outfit. I don't particularly have a problem with that as long as we gradually add enough quality to make us a force at this level over the next couple of seasons. What I do have a problem with is our manager claiming that yesterday was "one goal away from a good performance". If that is his benchmark of "good" then I have a few concerns going forward in terms of both the quality of football on offer and our ability to stay away from trouble next season.

By all accounts GJ said on Sky as the teams were coming out that it was a 'no lose' game, not a 'must win' game, so he had a defensive mentality from the start.

We do not get the best out of LJ when he plays the defensive midfield role (linking the defence with the midfield), he is much better in an attacking role when we played 433....why we changed back to the toothless 442 I will never know, that one decision has cost us a play off place IMO.

There were good performances yesterday from very few, Jamie McCombe was outstanding and didn't give Lurpak a chance (although JMs' distribution is still poor at best), Liam Fontaine was his usual steady self, Cole Skuse had a good game but he is no creative maestro (the role he is being forced to play by the management), Bradley Orr had a reasonable game (except for the mistake that led to their corner/goal) but he doesn't get forward enough now (team tactics), Nicky Maynard put in his usual 100% shift but we need to play different tactics to get the best out of him (he was at his best in the 433 formation) and Dele Adebola/Jamie McaAllister were average.

LJ was poor yesterday, he has to effect the game more IMO but with the tactics we are playing he is completely wasted (again he was better in the 433), Gavin Williams done more in the 5 minutes or so he got than LJ done in 85, McIndoe & Sproule shouldn't have bothered getting changed, they were useless.

IMO our problems lie in our tactics and formation AGAIN, if we are going to play 442, then one of the central pairing has to bomb forward (as Lee Williamson done for them) and get past/back up with our strikers to help them out, there were times yesterday when we had 1 man in the penalty area, when we were playing 433 at least we had 2/3 in there.

This has to change next season, if not it will be another frustrating, 1 goal a home game season.

BCAGFC

The central midfield pairing were absolutely pants for the majority of the 90 minutes. For example when we scored neither player in there was able to get their foot on the ball for a WHOLE TEN MINUTES afterwards eventually culminating in Preston's goal. Do you think that happens to decent sides? Surely a good midfield pairing will DEMAND the ball, put their foot on it and slow the game down whilst we settle on the lead, ready to go again and kill the game off, instead of taking the easy option (for the umpteenth time this season) and keeping their mouths shut whilst the back four lump the ball aimlessly over their heads and simply hand possession to the other side.

I am sorry but there were only two bits of genuine quality in the whole game which were provide by Adebola and McIndoe. Johnson provided exactly NOTHING in the way of quality (I couldn't give two $h1t$ what the Prozone says in terms of percentage pass completion) and neither did Skuse. The rest of the game was an ample illustration of why we will end up the tenth placed outfit that many of us predicted at the start of the season - teams have worked us out, have blocked off our main supply lines and we don't possess ANYWHERE NEAR enough quality against a decent side (but nothing more) to change the outcome. As usual we ended up going aerial far too often over the ninety minutes and never remotely tested Preston's keeper.

You only have to look at our record against sides around and above us to see why we are a mid table outfit. I don't particularly have a problem with that as long as we gradually add enough quality to make us a force at this level over the next couple of seasons. What I do have a problem with is our manager claiming that yesterday was "one goal away from a good performance". If that is his benchmark of "good" then I have a few concerns going forward in terms of both the quality of football on offer and our ability to stay away from trouble next season.

Excellant post.

The fact that Preston were dominating posession, seems not to have registered with the coaching team and although an individual mistake lead to the goal conceeded, the fact that it was felt OK to be pushed back for a significant period leading up to Ors faux pas is of concern. Just as our players are asked by the management to effect a game surely the same applies to the manager and coaching staff. I'm sorry but bring on two subs a minutes into stoppage time was bizare (and I'm being kind).

As Greebo says of late we have reverted to type, which was seen from the period October to December and that is worrying. Post Christmas until March no one can have to many complaints, but I am just glad we put that run of wins together becuase when we have needed results of late for postive reasons i.e. to get in the top six we have been found wanting.

The last two years have been very good no question, but Gary is going to have to try an new trick or three in the summer if the good work to date is to continue. Which in my view will need to be more flexiable with regard the loan transfer system, more flexiable in selection and perhaps most importantly rather than us all hankering for another new striker understand that we have a young lad quiet capable up front but the service and play from midfield must improve.

Heres hoping :fingerscrossed:

By all accounts GJ said on Sky as the teams were coming out that it was a 'no lose' game, not a 'must win' game, so he had a defensive mentality from the start.

We do not get the best out of LJ when he plays the defensive midfield role (linking the defence with the midfield), he is much better in an attacking role when we played 433....why we changed back to the toothless 442 I will never know, that one decision has cost us a play off place IMO.

There were good performances yesterday from very few, Jamie McCombe was outstanding and didn't give Lurpak a chance (although JMs' distribution is still poor at best), Liam Fontaine was his usual steady self, Cole Skuse had a good game but he is no creative maestro (the role he is being forced to play by the management), Bradley Orr had a reasonable game (except for the mistake that led to their corner/goal) but he doesn't get forward enough now (team tactics), Nicky Maynard put in his usual 100% shift but we need to play different tactics to get the best out of him (he was at his best in the 433 formation) and Dele Adebola/Jamie McaAllister were average.

LJ was poor yesterday, he has to effect the game more IMO but with the tactics we are playing he is completely wasted (again he was better in the 433), Gavin Williams done more in the 5 minutes or so he got than LJ done in 85, McIndoe & Sproule shouldn't have bothered getting changed, they were useless.

IMO our problems lie in our tactics and formation AGAIN, if we are going to play 442, then one of the central pairing has to bomb forward (as Lee Williamson done for them) and get past/back up with our strikers to help them out, there were times yesterday when we had 1 man in the penalty area, when we were playing 433 at least we had 2/3 in there.

This has to change next season, if not it will be another frustrating, 1 goal a home game season.

BCAGFC

If GJ really said it was a no lose game, he had that completely wrong.

Have to say I disagree with almost everything else you have said.

"LJ better in attacking role" - I don't think so, even LJ's supporters agree that just about the only thing he's good at is being the link from defence, keeping the ball moving, etc.

"Jamie McCombe was outstanding" - defensively ok, however in this division most teams have defenders who are also comfortable on the ball.

"Bradley Orr had a reasonable game" - he had a shocker.

"Dele Adebola/Jamie McaAllister" were average - I thought they were two of our more effective players among a very average bunch.

"LJ better in a 433" - we never play 433 with LJ in the team, and if we did, we'd get murdered.

"McIndoe & Sproule shouldn't have bothered getting changed, they were useless" - Sproule got through a lot of work defensively and put over a couple of decent crosses; McIndoe worked hard as always (apart from the middle of this season when he was sulking).

Agree with your final coment though - which is basically that we are not an entertaining team to watch and do not create many chances, which in general, I agree with, which is hardly surprising given that GJ does not appear to like playing the more skilful players.

we never play 433 with LJ in the team, and if we did, we'd get murdered.

We were playing 433 (or a very close version of it) for most of January & February (coinciding with our excellent run), LJ, Skuse & Elliott in midfield with Adebola, Maynard, Sproule or McIndoe in attack.

All the rest of your post is your opinions (as are mine), which you are quite within your rights to have, this is a forum where posts can be debated........ BUT not attacked.

BCAGFC

We were playing 433 (or a very close version of it) for most of January & February (coinciding with our excellent run), LJ, Skuse & Elliott in midfield with Adebola, Maynard, Sproule or McIndoe in attack.

All the rest of your post is your opinions (as are mine), which you are quite within your rights to have, this is a forum where posts can be debated........ BUT not attacked.

BCAGFC

Just opinions but that's a 5 man midfield to me.

Just opinions but that's a 5 man midfield to me.

Basso

Orr---Carey---Fontaine---McAllister OR Fontaine

Elliott---Johnson---Skuse

Sproule OR McIndoe---Adebola---Maynard

That is how we were playing, with LJ pushing forward to support the front 3 now and again.

BCAGFC

Archived