IGNORED

Raiding The Clubs In Trouble

Red Ferret

It's nice that we could be the vultures for once and pick up some of the best players from teams who may possibly need to offload them if they finish the season badly

A few names on the forum have been bandied about recently for possible raids:

Charlton: Nicky Bailey, Zheng Zhi, Darren Ambrose

Southampton: Andrew Surman

Leeds (if they don't go up): Jermaine Beckford

QPR: Dextor Blackstock (might not want to hang around a club with a bonkers board who loaned him out against his managers wishes)

Peterborough (if they throw a wobbly and don't go up): George Boyd, Mackail Smith

I'm sure theres more as well but the coming weeks will give us an idea of which clubs are really in trouble and need to get rid of their best assets. Forest/Norwich for example

It's nice that we could be the vultures for once and pick up some of the best players from teams who may possibly need to offload them if they finish the season badly

QPR: Dextor Blackstock (might not want to hang around a club with a bonkers board who loaned him out against his managers wishes)

Peterborough (if they throw a wobbly and don't go up): George Boyd, Mackail Smith

I'm sure theres more as well but the coming weeks will give us an idea of which clubs are really in trouble and need to get rid of their best assets. Forest/Norwich for example

I think Blackstock (why on earth is he on loan??) & Ambrose are the most likely. Depends to an extent for Johnson reckons he can turn Ambrose's career around.

I like Bailey but as with Zhi & Surman, I think they'll have better options.

I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Lloyd James at Saints. Would provide decent competition for both full backs and is a city fan!

Wasn't really impressed by Lloyd James when he played at the gate. Didn't really show much in quality and I know Sproule is quick but still when he scored that goal James had a good headstart on Ivan but was knowhere near him by the end. I'd prefer soemone with a bit of pace. Just because he's a City fan doesn't mean we have to sign him.

Blackstock would be a good addition to the team though.

Bailey would be my No1 taget out of those named, a goalscoring, box to box midfielder....just what we need.

2nd target would be Surman, although he can be inconsistent.

We have the strikers to do the business, we just need midfielders to create/score.

BCAGFC

we just need midfielders to create/score.

Zeng Zhi can do the job too - I think he's a creative midfielder who can play up front as well

WBA were after him last summer and he's the captain of his national side so not a bad player at all

£2 million maybe? Charlton need the cash

Zeng Zhi can do the job too - I think he's a creative midfielder who can play up front as well

WBA were after him last summer and he's the captain of his national side so not a bad player at all

£2 million maybe? Charlton need the cash

I can't see us splashing out that sort of cash on a single player TBH.

WBA may go back for Zhi & with parachute payments they def could afford £2M.

Have to be careful here though. Players still know they can get good wages elsewhere and other clubs will still be willing to pay good money (and the crisis clubs will clearly hold out for every penny they can).

It is easy to be tempted to chase players you don't really need just because they are available.

I can't see us splashing out that sort of cash on a single player TBH.

WBA may go back for Zhi & with parachute payments they def could afford £2M.

Well we seem to have one big signing a season (Trundle & Maynard) so you never know. But I think you may be right and he would prefer a "bigger" club. He had a nasty injury recently too which would be a concern in the long term

Can't see Swansea wanting to sell Britton as like us would want to build on what they have

If Forest go down then maybe Joe Garner? Not sure how he is doing there but I think he was a target for us before when at Carlise

Leeds will want big bucks for Beckford if they don't go up. Same with Peterboro for Boyd & Mackail Smith. Remember, Peterboro wanted £5,000,000 for Aaron McLean in the close season when Wolves were sniffing after him - i'd imagine Leeds would demand similar for Beckford. And Beckford has a better record than McLean!

Promises to be an interesting close season though, not just with us.

I believe Blackstock will sign for Forest in the summer should they stay up, 2.2 million being the fee I saw mentioned on other forums.

Would like to see someone like Lallana (sp?) come here, that's assuming Southampton fail to keep him when they go down.

Bailey would be my No1 taget out of those named, a goalscoring, box to box midfielder....just what we need.

2nd target would be Surman, although he can be inconsistent.

We have the strikers to do the business, we just need midfielders to create/score.

BCAGFC

From what I've read, Charlton have paid around £750k for him with various add-ons, so will likely be looking to recoup that and more, which seems steep to me. Though relegation could see them willing to get anything in for him they can.

He's been linked with Birmingham recently, but I'd guess they'll move on to other targets if they're promoted.

I will bare my bum in Burtons' shop window if GJ signs any of those players. :englandsmile4wf:

Zeng Zhi is out of contract in the summer.

Personally I would look at Surman, Ambrose, Gow (Rangers) and Croft (Norwich) whos is also out of contract in the summer.

Gallagher on loan at Plymouth from Blackburn has been told he can leave would also be a good shout.

Zeng Zhi is out of contract in the summer.

Personally I would look at Surman, Ambrose, Gow (Rangers) and Croft (Norwich) whos is also out of contract in the summer.

Gallagher on loan at Plymouth from Blackburn has been told he can leave would also be a good shout.

Agree with all the above names, anyone of those would be good addidtions to the squad imo.

Hopefullythe dyas of Johnson bringing in every single player he has worked with at Yeovil are over and he will see sense and bring in some quality experienced heads that know this level. Midfield I'm sure is GJ most cause for concern, somebody like Croft or/and Zeng Zhi would add that something different.

Croft and Ambrose def worth a look on the right side.

Allthough he would have to pass a stern medical id like to see n.tyson come in if forest come down. Hes always had electric pace (of which we have none in striker dept) but at AG this season it was like watching thierry henry :laugh:.

Bailey would be good but unsure GJ will want to act on a central midfielder now that he has williams and LJ (and artus has signed).

Lallana is highly rated but havent seen much of him TBH. McGoldrick looks good player but could have off field probs, like Dyer the purse snatcher (who incidentally has been very good for swans).

I agree that we should maybe pick up some of the better players in our div, especially if we can get them on the cheap. But i would also like to see us bringing in young players from the Prem who have no real chance of playing regularly, even if this is on a season loan (as Hull did with Frazer Campbell) Ive said before but picking up any of the Man City youngsters that will be pushed out over the summer as they begin to bring in the big guns, for example! The players mentioned are in our division for a reason and we need to bring in more quality if we are to challenge for automatic next season.

If GJ was able to bring in some ex Prem youngsters and turn them into regular performers it would have a few benefits. If they play well then we should achieve; we may get high transfer fees for them; and once hes proved it with one or 2 then others will follow - "build it and they will come"

:englandsmile4wf:

Coming from a different angle - what about Gary McSheffery? Would cost money but certainly has the ability.

Good shout there Ryskip, I doubt he's going to play that many games in the Prem if Brum go up and they let him go out on loan to forest in March which was only canceled when he got injured. Definitely capable of getting 10 goals a season from either wing.

SL has stated that we need to operate within our budget. We should not spend more than we earn.

Last season we had extra cash from the play offs, but ended up more than 2 million in debt. This season we have not had the Gate filled to capicity and often less than 16,500. Its most likely that we wont get playoff revenue and SL's investments may be hurting along with the rest of the country. Add to that the distinct possibility that season ticket sales will probably be down

As for raiding other clubs, who will be raiding us. Already we have rumours of interest in Elliot and Orr, then we have Fontaine J Wilson, and Artus who may well attract attention. The cream of our younger players.

Croft and Ambrose def worth a look on the right side.

Allthough he would have to pass a stern medical id like to see n.tyson come in if forest come down. Hes always had electric pace (of which we have none in striker dept) but at AG this season it was like watching thierry henry :laugh:.

Bailey would be good but unsure GJ will want to act on a central midfielder now that he has williams and LJ (and artus has signed).

Lallana is highly rated but havent seen much of him TBH. McGoldrick looks good player but could have off field probs, like Dyer the purse snatcher (who incidentally has been very good for swans).

A stern medical test ? how much of a beep test did stern do then hehe

Charlton Ath: Darren Ambrose, Nicky Bailey, Matthew Spring

Southampton: Adam Lallana, Adam Surman, Lloyd James

Nottingham Forest: Lewis McGugan, Chris Cohen

Norwich City: Lee Croft, Wes Hoolahan, Matt Fotheringham

Barnsley: Heinz Muller

These are the type of players I think we should be looking at; okay we're not going to buy all of these but if we were to buy one or two I'd be very pleased.

Archived