IGNORED

Full-backs

Tom Fleuriot

For a couple of years now this forum has consistently denigrated our full-backs, with the most common criticism being that their distribution isn't up to scratch.

It reminds me of a few years back when Gary Neville was constantly criticised in the England team, and I thought he was a great full-back.

There are tow questions for me;

(1) What do you expect from a full-back? If I were writing a job spec I would say an ability to tackle, to get forward in support, and throw in the odd decent cross. An understanding of positioning in order to not get caught out is also useful. Once you get beyond these skills, I don't think many full-backs exist anywhere in the world, let alone in the Championship.

Which brings me to (2) which teams have better full-backs than ours? I can't recall seeing a full-back stand out for me (Burnley's left-back seemed to get forward well, but I can't think of any others). I don't remember seeing a full-back whip in dangerous cross after dangerous cross on Match of the Day, let alone in the Championship. I don't recall feeling that our wingers were ever in the fb's pocket because of the quality of the full-back (although I do recall wishing we had better wingers...).

In relation to this sole issue - on what comparative (i.e don't just list what our players cannot do) basis do people criticise Orr and McAllister? I'm not being shirty, but I'd like to know what people are seeing in opposition full-backs that isn't in ours. It feels to me like another example of expectations built on watching Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, rather than a realistic view of the Championship. But I hope to be proven wrong. :dunno:

Yeah for me the main thing you want from full backs is good defensive abilities and a good engine to get up and support wingers.

I am more than happy with Jamie Mc and Bradley on these counts. Neither are the greatest crossers of the ball but for me that should primarily be the job of the wingers in front of them.

I expect they cant believe the amount of stick they come in for considering how generally tight our defence has been this season!

Yeah for me the main thing you want from full backs is good defensive abilities and a good engine to get up and support wingers.

I am more than happy with Jamie Mc and Bradley on these counts. Neither are the greatest crossers of the ball but for me that should primarily be the job of the wingers in front of them.

I expect they cant believe the amount of stick they come in for considering how generally tight our defence has been this season!

And there is your problem. A big percentage of attacks break down because the ball comes back to them in a crossing position and it never gets past the first defender.

And there is your problem. A big percentage of attacks break down because the ball comes back to them in a crossing position and it never gets past the first defender.

But my question is which full-backs can you name (either by individual or by club, I'm not fussy), that are in the Championship or lower and you could not say that of?

agreed they both don't cross well, especially orr.

however if they were the complete fullbacks they prob would get snapped up by bigger clubs. the original poster asked what id look for in fullbacks and i just personally think if you cant have the complete package that your first priority has to be defending.

P.S can sproule deliver a good cross?

(1) What do you expect from a full-back? If I were writing a job spec I would say an ability to tackle, to get forward in support, and throw in the odd decent cross. An understanding of positioning in order to not get caught out is also useful. Once you get beyond these skills, I don't think many full-backs exist anywhere in the world, let alone in the Championship.

One of them can, one of them can't. A decent cross from Orr is as rare as rocking horse s**t.

At the end of the season if both your full backs have not been suspended or red carded at least once they have just not been doing their job and giving 100%, fine if we kept consistent clean sheets, but a full back needs to be a bit mental and know when to make reckless challenges, I'm all for picking up red and yellow cards if it means we don't lose.

Brad and Jamie are good full backs in this respect.

Aswell as defending the ability to find players on our team with the ball on a regular basis which neither full back can do. Their crossing is equally as poor and a decent full back can cross a ball. They don't have to be brilliant but atleast beat the first man more than once every 10 games.

IMO McAllister's crossing has improved over the course of the season. We've scored quite a few goals from this. Jamie's crosses may not beat the first man all the time, but it nearly always comes back to one of our players, whereas, Brad's crossing isn't accurate enough and always gets overhit or goes straight to their keeper allowing them to build counter attacks.

Fox at Coventry

Naysmith at Birmingham

Robinson at Leeds

Rangel at Swansea

Just off the top of my head.

Maybe agree with Daniel Fox, albeit that he's been playing as a winger as much lately and he didn't stand out for me when we played them. But he does seem to be the type of player we need - lower league, cheap, hungry for success with a lot of potential.

Do you mean Gary Naysmith at Sheffield United, who cost them £1M? The one who is just being selected ahead of McAllister in the Scotland squad? I guess he must be better if he's playing ahead of McAllister, but £1M better?

Robinson and Rangel I haven't seen play, so I'll take your word for it. Doubt either could be bought.

I still think it's instructive that five players have been identified so far, to cover two positions. I'd like to see stronger players in every position, but still think that criticism of Orr and McAllister's abilities are based on unrealistic expectations of full-backs' capabilities.

Archived