IGNORED

Mccombe

Is it me or hs our results taken a turn for the worse since hes come back into the squad since injury

First game back i think was Blackpool and we seem to have gone downhill since, maybe just coincidence but i don't think he has the pace or positional sense for this division and think its been proved ober the last few weeks.

Hope i am wrong and next few games and seasons he is outstanding just think he has that something missing

Is it me or hs our results taken a turn for the worse since hes come back into the squad since injury

First game back i think was Blackpool and we seem to have gone downhill since, maybe just coincidence but i don't think he has the pace or positional sense for this division and think its been proved ober the last few weeks.

Hope i am wrong and next few games and seasons he is outstanding just think he has that something missing

I'd not noticed it but I think you're correct statistically.

Although wasn't that around the time Elliott was injured and Skuse then also got injured? I can't help but feel that was more disruptive to the squad then McCombe coming back in. I think McCombe's a decent third-choice centre-back, and at times he has been class. I would like to see Wilson and Ribeiro pushing him next season though.

I don't think he's been too bad but today he was poor. Apart from the obvious error for their first goal he seemed strangely unable to dominate in the air.

and it's his turn to take an otib bashing :dunno:

No "turns" involved. He had a poor game by his own good standards. I don't expect things from him that he can't do - I know he can't beat five players in a mazy dribble and smack an unstoppable shot into the top corner. He's a good no-nonsense centre-half first ball winner and today he wasn't strong enough.

What do you want us to do? Congratulate him for getting out-manouvered by Earnshaw????????

I just didn't want this thread to develop into "he's past his time" etc, had a poor game today yes but bear in mind, he was at lincoln 3 years ago and has been playing and developing with the club almost the way basso has been with a few errors here and there ... srorry, didn't mean to come accross aggressive :surrender:

No "turns" involved. He had a poor game by his own good standards. I don't expect things from him that he can't do - I know he can't beat five players in a mazy dribble and smack an unstoppable shot into the top corner. He's a good no-nonsense centre-half first ball winner and today he wasn't strong enough.

What do you want us to do? Congratulate him for getting out-manouvered by Earnshaw????????

Bet you didnt think he could score an over head kick either! :innocent06:

no but i know that he can go on a mazy run past 5 players and smash a shot on to the post or wernt you there last season when he did it against norwich

Not having a go at McCombe just since the Blackpool game he has ben back in the squad and our results have gone downhill.

I wish i could play footie to the level he can, it just seems sometimes he is not as commanding as he should be and his control on the ball is not the best. As previous poster stated he was in L2 3 seasons ago so has done well just hope he hasnt reached his level, would love to see him progress here just think he may have got as far as he can. HERES HOPING HE HASNT

Aww come on, I'd like to think he was as embarrassed about his performance today as I was. He's been a great servant , but he's patently not good enough and it'll be very interesting over the close season to see how ambitious this club actually is.

We've now had two seasons to weigh up the opposition, give the players who've got us this far to demonstrate whether they have the ability to take us any further and it's fairly obvious that many of them are falling just short. Now I'm ok with the concept that we're a good mid table championship team, cos we apparently are but what I don't want is to hear the board and manager telling me we're pushing for auto etc when it's fairly evident that the squad we have is nowhere near capable.

We have several players who work their balls off but who are unfortunately not likely to find another level, we probably all have a personal list of those we'd replace but question is will GJ do it? Maynard today looked special, Sproule seems to be getting better game by game and Fontaine and Williams have the class that makes you want to go simply to watch them play. Carey immense and then the rest of them... be an interesting summer.

no but i know that he can go on a mazy run past 5 players and smash a shot on to the post or wernt you there last season when he did it against norwich

Yes I was there - not that it is relevant. I said that I didn't expect it - if you do expect him to do that you must be really disappointed in him!!!!!

I'll think you'll find that McCombe's run has coincided with Carey's absence through suspension/injury.

When Carey plays, whoever plays alongside him plays well. And when Carey doesn't play, our defence do not play well.

Carey is one of those players who only gets noticed when he isn't around.

I actually said to my dad a few weeks ago since birmingham where he came on as a sub the goals started going in bassos net maybe if we want to improve are squad we need to let mcoombe go and keep ikerpen he was outstanding when he came on at reading and i heard he was fantastic today playing in the 2nd half hope he starts monday

Nope, but he's one of several players who may have taken the club as far as he can.

An interesting quote and made me think: OK so we are going to finish upper-mid table this season. (I, for one, am quite satisfied with that as I would have been last season) But thinking about 'players who may have taken us as far as he can' made me query: which players in our squad would be courted by higher league opposition? I don't believe we are going to be raped of our best quality players by higher league/higher positioned clubs (with the possible exception of Marv whom I still think won't be snapped up after a season of injury). Therefore, if our players are not required at a higher level and they are not tugging the rope in the Championship, perhaps all our payers 'have taken the club as far as he can'.

An interesting quote and made me think: OK so we are going to finish upper-mid table this season. (I, for one, am quite satisfied with that as I would have been last season) But thinking about 'players who may have taken us as far as he can' made me query: which players in our squad would be courted by higher league opposition? I don't believe we are going to be raped of our best quality players by higher league/higher positioned clubs (with the possible exception of Marv whom I still think won't be snapped up after a season of injury). Therefore, if our players are not required at a higher level and they are not tugging the rope in the Championship, perhaps all our payers 'have taken the club as far as he can'.

If you are right we are in trouble as the only way we can significantly change the squad is by selling to buy. We will make another big loss this year and I can't see Steve bankrolling more big fees himself, especially in a recession and with season ticket sales down. None of this nonsense about not selling our best players. Sheff Utd sold Beattie and look at them now.

mccombe has been great for us, but if he plays, it is obvious it needs to be against a big man as well. Playing against Earnshaw is not what he is about, but put him against Jon Parkin or Peter Crouch and he does very well. I wouldnt move mccombe on, cause he is pretty dependable and does what he does very well for us.

Archived