IGNORED

Gerry Gow At The Gate Tomorrow

exiledinwatford

I was lucky enough to speak to the great man today albeit on my Uncle's mobile from the Knowle Hotel. He is at AG tomorrow and thinks (although wasn't sure) that the club are asking him to say hello to the fans at half-time as per Steve Hodge at Forest yesterday.

I chatted about what a great night the AG8 was, talking to Sween, Jimmy Mann, Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick who said it was a little sad that nothing had been done to recognise the achievement of the team that took us to the top flight. There is time for another celebration dinner!

I know it's a hell of a lot of work for the Trust but what an occassion - Any takers?

I chatted about what a great night the AG8 was, talking to Sween, Jimmy Mann, Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick who said it was a little sad that nothing had been done to recognise the achievement of the team that took us to the top flight. There is time for another celebration dinner!

I know it's a hell of a lot of work for the Trust but what an occassion - Any takers?

I agree with the idea of a proper celebration to mark their achievement. That's something that came over when we had the AG8 night. I always felt that it was right that the supporters and the Club recognised 1982 and the players' sacrifice; almost like an episode of My Name is Earl. But if I'd been Merrick, Sweeney, Mann, Tainton, Garland etc I'd also prefer a night to celebrate the highlights not the lowlights.

The first issue is when. This year the Trust is involved in recognising the 100th anniversary of our only FA Cup Final appearance in 1909 later this month and in October we're currently planning an Atyeo evening to try and raise funds for the statue appeal. Ideally the commemorative event should, I figure, reflect May 1976. A third of a century feels very tenuous but 33 1/3rd years on would be September this year. The logical next anniversary celebration would be 35 years (two years away - May 2011). Is it best to wait a couple of years?

Whenever it is the whole playing squad at AG should be made to attend just to witness how winners are adored at Bristol City andthey too could become legends like Geoff Merrick Gerry Gow Tom Richie Clive Whitehead et al. These men took us to the promised land over 30 years ago, and many of the current squad could emulate them with a little fire in their bellies and total commitment in their hearts.

Archived