IGNORED

Passing Footie

internetjef

where has it gone?

Do you remember when we used to knock it about last season winning over neutral fans and taking praise from various pundits.

It cant all be because of dele? (who i do rate as a attacking weapon)

I know theres the argument that winning is 1st, and then playing attractive footie comes 2nd........... but we havent won any more games playing this way?

I think it could be down to our lack of width making the middle of the park too congested?? Combined with having a great target man like dele.

So can GJ bring it back? I for one hope so cos my necks getting sore from all the hoofball

Our last win - Coventry at home - saw us play fantastic football and get the win. This followed one of our best performances this season in the 2-1 loss to Derby. Both these games saw John and Maynard up front with Williams in centre midfield. Coincidence? I think not...

Passing football needs players to move and work in triangles and our system doesn't allow for players to do that.

The central midfield have strict orders to not get in or around the box as it leaves our back 4 exposed........well 23 other Championship sides don't worry about that, so what does that say about our central midfield/defence?.

BCAGFC

Tedious hoof ball seems to arise from our centrebacks, who are either lacking the ability or imagination to try anything but hoofing it long to Adebola, who generally wins the header only for it to arrive at the feet/head of an opposition defender - ad infinitum.

Part of this "pretty" football involved our full backs getting up the field and playing nice neat triangles something we rarely see nowadays. Today we just seemed to try and get the ball up to Dele as quickly as possible and we lacked any other forms of creativity or ability to take people on. It also doesn't help when McIndoe comes inside and kills the space for our CM, as well as leaving the whole left hand side of the pitch empty.

At the moment I would say that due to a lack of Louis Carey has restricted our passing football.

Think about this for a moment fellow city fans - Louis is not the greatest passer of a football and yes he does often hoof the ball foward however, Louis has a lot of experience from a long playing career. He knows when it is right to play the ball out of defence and when it is right to just lump it (well 90% of the time anyway) whereas at the moment we have Jaime McCoombe who is a solid rock at the back but isn't as experienced, mobile or as confident (imo) as Louis in passing the ball. Consider that this means one of our centre halfs consistently is lumping the ball foward which bypasses the midfield where most of our passing football should come from. Also consider that Lee Johnson will often look back or square before looking foward meaning that he will normally play the ball back to Louis who normally would look to pass wide but atm we have McCoombe in there who will get the ball foward quickly. Whilst this system isn't pretty it can be argued to be effective - in moderation.

I'm not saying because Louis is injured we can't pass the ball but I am saying that his confidence and experience helps to maintain passing football through the spine of the team.

The spine of the team we played today was not conducive to passing football. When we have Carey and Fonts at the back and Williams or Noble in the middle of the pitch we have much more short passing football because we have players who will carry the ball forward and play into the space that creates. Selections like todays mean the opposition don't even have to close us down to see us play low percentage direct football.

Our system doesn't either because it has no width with McIndoe being told to tuck in and us playing a central midfielder on the right hand side more often than not.

The spine of the team we played today was not conducive to passing football. When we have Carey and Fonts at the back and Williams or Noble in the middle of the pitch we have much more short passing football because we have players who will carry the ball forward and play into the space that creates. Selections like todays mean the opposition don't even have to close us down to see us play low percentage direct football.

Our system doesn't either because it has no width with McIndoe being told to tuck in and us playing a central midfielder on the right hand side more often than not.

Interestingly i was talking about this with some mates and this season our "passing" style is a myth which lots of pundits still believe.

Due to work i was forced to watch the recent City v Cardiff game on telly... the co-commentator that day said "it's strange but there's a lot of long balls today which is unlike both sides" hmmmmm he obviously he hasn't really taken much notice of us and how we play.

I believe it's a combination of 1-laziness/lack of confidence ie long ball to Dele - 2-constricted midfield where we play 3 midfielders inside with Sproule out wide - 3-our full-backs not getting forward as much as last season which i put down to Louis missing and so our defence not being so sure of it's self.

Any thoughts?

I agree. Fontaine is a clever player and can run with the ball when needed, as can Carey. I just don't think we have enough quality in the middle of the park or on the flanks. McCombe panics and lumps it forward, when it should be going sideways and to the wingers.

We need wingers that can get past a man and then cross it, as we do not have one at the club at this present time. We are just too damn predictable.

Archived