IGNORED

A Team Is Only A Strong...

Lack of Action Man

I ran into this old saying again today whilst talking to a plymouth argyle fan.

He couldn't really say who our weakest link was as he had missed both of the games against us this season but it got me thinking,

Is this statement really accurate? If it is who is our weakest link?

Here we go..!

I think its Lee Johnson

He couldn't really say who our weakest link was as he had missed both of the games against us this season but it got me thinking,

there are 2 who start each week, and i don't care about the grief I will no doubt get, Lee Johnson and Michael McIndoe imo. The ones off the bench who play frequently are Jamie McCombe and Ivan Sproule.

Reasons being, McIndoe has not looked anywhere near as effective as last year and can rarely get past his man beat his man, Johnson has been poor all season for all but 5 games linking play from defence to attack is not a role, and anyone in that position should have more to their game than just that. Sproules end product is just embarassing 9 times out of 10, and MCombe's pace and lack of a 'footballing brain' is being exposed more often than not. All my opinion of course.

Not sure if you could say he is our weakest link but for me our poorest player this season has been McIndoe!!!

The team is only as strong as the manager that picks them; :noexpression: the manager is only as strong as the chairman and fans that back him. :mafia:

there are 2 who start each week, and i don't care about the grief I will no doubt get, Lee Johnson and Michael McIndoe imo. The ones off the bench who play frequently are Jamie McCombe and Ivan Sproule.

Reasons being, McIndoe has not looked anywhere near as effective as last year and can rarely get past his man beat his man, Johnson has been poor all season for all but 5 games linking play from defence to attack is not a role, and anyone in that position should have more to their game than just that. Sproules end product is just embarassing 9 times out of 10, and MCombe's pace and lack of a 'footballing brain' is being exposed more often than not. All my opinion of course.

:doh: Please tell me that's a joke? If linking defence to attack is not a role then wtf is the point in having midfielders? Surely that's their exact role! If no-one is linking defence to attack then you might as well play 4-0-6.

And for what it's worth, when he plays McCombe is the weakest link, get's turned way too easily, too slow and always seems to lump it - teams seem to be cottoning on to this and isolating him when we have the ball.

Bradley Orr - his distribution up the line to Sproule is shocking as is his crossing and dare I say his shooting too.

If we improved the distribution from our left/right backs better then the ball wouldn't have to be played through the centre all the time or we wouldnt have to watch the usual "lets see how many balls we can get on the East End roof" competition either.

The weakest link is the distribution from the full backs and Bradley is only just ahead of McAllister for the ultimate prize - both good defenders though.

:doh: Please tell me that's a joke? If linking defence to attack is not a role then wtf is the point in having midfielders? Surely that's their exact role! If no-one is linking defence to attack then you might as well play 4-0-6.

And for what it's worth, when he plays McCombe is the weakest link, get's turned way too easily, too slow and always seems to lump it - teams seem to be cottoning on to this and isolating him when we have the ball.

Teams also seem to be good at isolating him against their pacy forwards, eg Earnshaw & Lisbie in the last couple of games.

The hoof forward to Lisbie being the most obvious example.

Certainly hasn't looked as assured as last season in the past few games.

Bradley Orr - his distribution up the line to Sproule is shocking as is his crossing and dare I say his shooting too.

If we improved the distribution from our left/right backs better then the ball wouldn't have to be played through the centre all the time or we wouldnt have to watch the usual "lets see how many balls we can get on the East End roof" competition either.

The weakest link is the distribution from the full backs and Bradley is only just ahead of McAllister for the ultimate prize - both good defenders though.

Good point Geoff! I love Bradley's workrate and commitment and both are sound positionally and defensively, but their joint achillies heel is distribution. Our 'system' seems to heavily rely on the attacking prowess of our fullbacks either as an outlet when our midfield widemen are on the ball or with them overlapping, but their distribution often is wayward leaving them high up the pitch against counter-attacking opponents who have been frequently gifted possession. I think weak link may be a tad strong, but definitely an area to be improved upon imo.

The team is only as strong as the manager that picks them; the manager is only as strong as the chairman and fans that back him.

And here I would say we have the answer.

I once read on this forum that at Ashton Gate we do not have supporters we have CRITICS.Thats not far from the truth.

If you try to perform in a negative attitude you will fail.

The fans at Ashton Gate are the ones that have failed to perform on many occasions this season>

The team is only as strong as the manager that picks them; the manager is only as strong as the chairman and fans that back him.

And here I would say we have the answer.

I once read on this forum that at Ashton Gate we do not have supporters we have CRITICS.Thats not far from the truth.

If you try to perform in a negative attitude you will fail.

The fans at Ashton Gate are the ones that have failed to perform on many occasions this season>

rubbish IMO. we are no better or worse than the majority of fans all around the country. its the nature of the beast. some only think we are because they obviously don't regularly watch another side in the home end. as for our alledged lack of support i think its been very gooid this year, given the fact that we have won less than a third of our home games and have only beaten one side from the top half of the table all season.

people pay high prices to watch something and they demand high standards. obviously often these will not be met, but those who are paid high salaries are far better off just ignoring any flak or taking it on the chin and getting with their jobs than bellyaching about it.

our manager is rated by almost all city fans bar a few nut jobs. he has been praised to the hilt regularly and we all appreciate what he has done, BUT but the one thing that grates a few of us is the way he reacts badly to any sort of criticism by getting all defensive. and this seems to of rubbed off onto a few on here.

if he were to go to another club it would be the same. imagine GJ getting the west ham job for example?? they would be on his back from day one as he is not a 'name', and if they went on a bad run he would be getting absolute pelted, then he would know what dogs abuse is like because they can be absolutely vile there.

sometimes it all seems a little bit too precious to me.

Lee Johnson without a doubt. Linking play from midfield to attack is not a ''role'' it's something every midfielder should be able to do and taken as red. Lee Johnson is embarrasing, even if you like the guy there's no smoke without fire and lots of the fans can see his weaknesses. Monday once again showed his poor set pieces, poor passing and his inability to track back. Until he goes we will continue to tread water in the championship. Marv made him look stupid on his home return on Monday. I really really hope he goes in the summer and I don't mind saying it. Its awfull watching him being carried.

Lee Johnson without a doubt. Linking play from midfield to attack is not a ''role'' it's something every midfielder should be able to do and taken as red. Lee Johnson is embarrasing, even if you like the guy there's no smoke without fire and lots of the fans can see his weaknesses. Monday once again showed his poor set pieces, poor passing and his inability to track back. Until he goes we will continue to tread water in the championship. Marv made him look stupid on his home return on Monday. I really really hope he goes in the summer and I don't mind saying it. Its awfull watching him being carried.

Even LJ's harshest critics have said he played well Monday. There were a couple of Lee Lee Lee Johnson chants also.

Your comments above prove you're blinkered as far as LJ is concerned.

Even LJ's harshest critics have said he played well Monday. There were a couple of Lee Lee Lee Johnson chants also.

He probably had 1 of his best games of the season! But IMO he still didn't play that well! it cant be a coincidence that Elliot coming back and skuse constantly driving foward through the middle made it seem as if he was doing alot! IMO if Williams was in the middle and Sproule was on the right we would of won that game quite comfortably! But unfortunately we will never get to see that apart from in reserve games or pre season friendlies!!

He probably had 1 of his best games of the season! But IMO he still didn't play that well! it cant be a coincidence that Elliot coming back and skuse constantly driving foward through the middle made it seem as if he was doing alot! IMO if Williams was in the middle and Sproule was on the right we would of won that game quite comfortably! But unfortunately we will never get to see that apart from in reserve games or pre season friendlies!!

You're blinkered as well !

(only joking)

Still have to disagree. I take it you laughed as well when he jumped under the ball. Made a couple of good passes and had a good shot. Does nothing more than what your average league 1 midfielder could do.

LJ without doubt.If any team have us watched before we play them heres what they probably think.

Don't worry about his free kicks or corners he only ever dinks the ball into the box,and also run at him,no pace and can't tackle his way out of a paper bag.Oh, and if he does manage to make a tackle you'll probably get a free kick.I'm sorry but the game just passes him by in this division and unless he gets replaced this season I'm afraid our midfield wiill continue to lack a goal threat and creating chances.

LJ without doubt.If any team have us watched before we play them heres what they probably think.

Don't worry about his free kicks or corners he only ever dinks the ball into the box,and also run at him,no pace and can't tackle his way out of a paper bag.Oh, and if he does manage to make a tackle you'll probably get a free kick.I'm sorry but the game just passes him by in this division and unless he gets replaced this season I'm afraid our midfield wiill continue to lack a goal threat and creating chances.

Its useless my friend. All you'll get is a reply saying ''he links the play up'' or ''he's always available for a pass''. Something every midfielder does as part of their game. As long as Gary is our manager (which I hope he doesn't go) we'll always have his son as the first name on the team sheet.

Archived