IGNORED

Not Making The Play Offs A Blessing In Disguise

Red Army 79

This might sound strange but will not making the play offs help us for next season.

The players will have almost a Month more of rest compaired to last season. They should have something to prove next season as well instead of feeling a bit down after coming so close the season before.

Johnson won't be playing catch up on chasing targets like last season & instead of looking at two types of targets like last season will only be looking at the type of player to make us a stronger out fit in the championship. Instead of looking at players who he could sign if we had gone up. I'm sure enquires on players are made before the end of May.

Is their a reason why the three teams who didn't go up via the play offs last season have struggled this season? A team who has won the league didn't get into the play offs last season? 3 other teams who didn't make the play offs last season are now sitting nicely in the play offs.

Not making excuses for not making the play offs this season but will we be better prepared for next season?

Interesting, but not a blessing in disguise by a long shot.

We are in this business to win playing good football and nothing else, that means playing top flight, anyone who is happy to stagnate in the Championship will find themselves in non league quicker than you can say Luton Town.

This might sound strange but will not making the play offs help us for next season.

The players will have almost a Month more of rest compaired to last season. They should have something to prove next season as well instead of feeling a bit down after coming so close the season before.

Johnson won't be playing catch up on chasing targets like last season & instead of looking at two types of targets like last season will only be looking at the type of player to make us a stronger out fit in the championship. Instead of looking at players who he could sign if we had gone up. I'm sure enquires on players are made before the end of May.

Is their a reason why the three teams who didn't go up via the play offs last season have struggled this season? A team who has won the league didn't get into the play offs last season? 3 other teams who didn't make the play offs last season are now sitting nicely in the play offs.

Not making excuses for not making the play offs this season but will we be better prepared for next season?

Can't argue with that, certainly makes sense. Getting players in/out earlier and hit the floor running for pre-season training!!

For me, this smacks of the excuse wheeled out by teams who get dumped from a cup competition - the sheepish "Well, we can concentrate on the league now..."

So do you, or do you not, agree that missing out on the play offs has given Gary Johnson an advantage over last season, in terms of giving him more time to set about bringing players in, safe in the knowledge we'll be in the Championship next season over a month earlier than he did this time last year?

So do you, or do you not, agree that missing out on the play offs has given Gary Johnson an advantage over last season, in terms of giving him more time to set about bringing players in, safe in the knowledge we'll be in the Championship next season over a month earlier than he did this time last year?

The comment was made a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'll respond...

Yes, of course the club has an added advantage in that the players will get a longer break. As for bringing in players - he knew he would be - at least - in the Championship this time last year, so I don't see what advantage is gained there.

What is important is not whether or not he has an extra few weeks to prepare, but what he does with that time and whether he makes it count and produces a more consistent team for next season.

Yes, of course the club has an added advantage in that the players will get a longer break. As for bringing in players - he knew he would be - at least - in the Championship this time last year, so I don't see what advantage is gained there.

What is important is not whether or not he has an extra few weeks to prepare, but what he does with that time and whether he makes it count and produces a more consistent team for next season.

Alot of deals are done before the play offs are finished. Players that have been released particularly are anxious to get a contract with a new club and don't hang around.

But surely, when you're in the Play Offs, you have two clear lists of targets - One for if you stay in the Championship and one for if you go up to the Premier League.

In the interim month, you can only really put out feelers rather than make solid bids, and in that time other clubs can nip in and give a player a contract.

I think that's why it's a disadvantage, in that respect.

Ancient history Edson, but I would have hoped that GJ would have had two hitlists during the playoff period - one for the Prem and one for the CCC.

Appreciate its not black and white and two lists is of course overly simplistic, but he must have had his ideas - we had less time to prepare than Palace and Watford yet have done better than both of them this term.

Ancient history Edson, but I would have hoped that GJ would have had two hitlists during the playoff period - one for the Prem and one for the CCC.

Appreciate its not black and white and two lists is of course overly simplistic, but he must have had his ideas - we had less time to prepare than Palace and Watford yet have done better than both of them this term.

I agree (as posted above while you were posing this).

I seem to recall Pete Johnson saying almost exactly that - that we had two clear lists.

Interesting, but not a blessing in disguise by a long shot.

We are in this business to win playing good football and nothing else, that means playing top flight, anyone who is happy to stagnate in the Championship will find themselves in non league quicker than you can say Luton Town.

To be fair, I think Luton are sampling the delights of the Blue Square Premier League for reasons other than stagnating!

But on the main point, the only good thing to come out of not being in the plays offs is that it will mean a bit more rest for the players, and the chance to speak to targets sooner. But all in all, I'd rather be in them!

I would have though GJ has and has for a few weeks now a few targets in mind for next season,i reckon we were a month behind other clubs after our wembley failure, add to that the Egyptian saga and that idiot Mifsud and its clear to see time was against GJ. Think Gary also will be that much more experienced at this level for next season and yes he does know all our weaknesses, I'm expecting a busy summer for GJ in the transfer market. I'm also expecting a much better Nicky Maynard too

Archived