--Orr-----Carey-------Fontaine-----Ribeiro---

--Sproule--Williams--Elliott--------McIndoe--

--------------Akinde----Maynard---------------

Henderson

Iriekpen

Skuse

Artus

Styvar

Is Ribs fit now, if so I concur with your view, also Big John up front, is he back now then ?

--------------------Weale-----------------------

--Orr-----Carey-------Fontaine-----Ribeiro---

--Sproule--Williams--Elliott--------McIndoe--

--------------Akinde----Maynard---------------

Henderson

Iriekpen

Skuse

Artus

Styvar

On what basis are you dropping Basso?

Nothing to prove? Expect him to move on? Deserves to be dropped? Or something else?

On what basis are you dropping Basso?

Nothing to prove? Expect him to move on? Deserves to be dropped? Or something else?

A few things. Basso has nothing to prove, we know he's a quality keeper at this level.

However although he is the better keeper now, he's also 34, and even for a keeper that's getting on.

Weale might well have the potential to be even better because age is on his side.

I'd hate for us to lose him due to limited first team opportunities just for Basso to retire in a year or two.

So mainly - let's truly open up the competition for that shirt for next season and give Weale a bit of a chance.

why do people keep putting ribs at left back?

FOOTBALL MANAGER IS WRONG. HE IS RIGHT SIDED! :)

Nowt to do with football manager. He's played there before for us and Welsh youth side and when you ask the posters on here who regularly watch the reserves and youth sides some say left, some say right, some say central. Ask GJ and he will say he's comfortable all across the back line.

Sheer indulgence

1. Waugh

2. Orr

3. Barnard

4. Hutchinson

5. Newman

6. Taylor

7. Murray

8. Dziekanowski

9. Taylor

10. Walsh

11. Smith

Not the most balanced side ever seen at the Gate, but they'd be good to watch!

Looks great, amazingly no place for Messrs Tinnion and Gow. Sean Taylor or Norman Hunter cor what a choice !!

why do people keep putting ribs at left back?

FOOTBALL MANAGER IS WRONG. HE IS RIGHT SIDED! :)

Ribeiro is definately a right back/centre back, he has played on the left as a make shift left back but its not his best position, he has been told that he won't play again until pre-season to make sure he has fully recovered from his injury.

I would recall Weale, Akinde and Artus and start all 3. If J.Wilson is fit I would start him along side Fontaine. We have given Stambolsiev, Jackson, Kington and Edwards pro contracts so lets get some of them on the bench.

A few things. Basso has nothing to prove, we know he's a quality keeper at this level.

However although he is the better keeper now, he's also 34, and even for a keeper that's getting on.

Weale might well have the potential to be even better because age is on his side.

I'd hate for us to lose him due to limited first team opportunities just for Basso to retire in a year or two.

So mainly - let's truly open up the competition for that shirt for next season and give Weale a bit of a chance.

I agree re. Weale. It would be a great shame to lose him before we've seen the best of him. I don't know if Gary has been a bit put off by his inability to stay fit for a run of games, but perhaps the spell at Yeovil is to put that to the test, as much as anything else.

It's a tricky situation, and I can see that there's an argument for it almost being easier if someone came in with an unrefuseable offer for Basso early on in the summer. Not that I'd want to lose him, but it might resolve the situation.

It seems from GJ's interview today that Styvar could well start the last two games, by the way.

Looks great, amazingly no place for Messrs Tinnion and Gow. Sean Taylor or Norman Hunter cor what a choice !!

Tinnion ahead of Walsh? Never in a month of Sundays!

Wasn't old enough to see Gow - although I'm sure I'd have loved him from what I do know!

Dunno if Ribs is fit yet but I thought he was supposed to be. Akinde isn't back but can be recalled on 24 hours.

Ribs is a right back and no he's not fit yet, unfortunately his rehabilitation seems to have slowed down the last few weeks.

Akinde won't be recalled as he could yet play for Wycombe in the play offs which would be good experience for him.

Last home game of the season, nothing but pride to play for, for pure excitement (I have never claimed to be a great tactician) could we go with:

BASSO

ORR CAREY IRIEKPEN MCALLISTER

SPROULE ELLIOTT WILLIAMS TRUNDLE

MAYNARD ADEBOLA

we could go with it but i don't think johnson has the b*****ks to experiment with the team

i would like to see:

HENDERSON

IRIEKPEN CAREY FONTAINE MCALLISTER

SPROULE ELLIOTT SKUSE WILLIAMS

ADEBOLA TRUNDLE

It seems from GJ's interview today that Styvar could well start the last two games, by the way.

I hope he does well. Maybe with the pressure off he'll be more comfortable. Can't say I'm too optimistic about that to be honest.

Ribs is a right back and no he's not fit yet, unfortunately his rehabilitation seems to have slowed down the last few weeks.

Shrug, that seems to be the consensus. I'm sure I've seen people say left too - I've only seen the reserves and youth sides a couple of times in the last few years myself.

Akinde won't be recalled as he could yet play for Wycombe in the play offs which would be good experience for him.

I'd say so would playing Championship football for 180 minutes. I think it's best to give younger players a game at as high a level as possible - they adapt more quickly at 18-19 than at 22-23 IMO. Take your point though.

I'd like to try something similar to the formation used by Man Utd and Liverpool quite often this season:

-------------------------------------------Basso

Orr-------------------Wilson, J-----------------------Fontaine-------------McAllister

----------------------------Johnson--------------Skuse

---------------Williams-------------------Elliot-------------------McIndoe

------------------------------------------Styvar

Subs:

Henderson

Maynard

Sproule

Carey

Adebola

Archived