IGNORED

Comparing This Season With Last

BrizzleRed

There's one thing that's really puzzled me this season. Why have we gone from a team who made a habit of scoring many important late goals to either equalise, or very often win games, to one who now regularly concede late to let leads slip or lose games?

I convinced myself last year that a lot of our late goals were due to our high level of fitness allowing us to take advantage of teams, if a degree of tiredness or loss of concentration was creeping in at the end of games. Seeing how things have now completely reversed this year, using the same logic would suggest we've now become massively unfit! I can't imagine that myself, so there must be some other reason.

Anyone got any theories?

There's one thing that's really puzzled me this season. Why have we gone from a team who made a habit of scoring many important late goals to either equalise, or very often win games, to one who now regularly concede late to let leads slip or lose games?

I convinced myself last year that a lot of our late goals were due to our high level of fitness allowing us to take advantage of teams, if a degree of tiredness or loss of concentration was creeping in at the end of games. Seeing how things have now completely reversed this year, using the same logic would suggest we've now become massively unfit! I can't imagine that myself, so there must be some other reason.

Anyone got any theories? yeah we ain't good enough simples

Anyone got any theories?

The season turned weeks ago i don't think we have reached anywhere near the same level of last seasons consistant performances,the total lack of defending free kicks and corners has cost countless goals. Along with playing 1 striker up front the total lack of wing play in a host of games means that the goal ratio was always going to be low,as has been said many times the team ain't good enough at least 4/5 players need to be brought in.

We won a lot of home games (and a few away - Sheff weds comes to mind) last season by taking a lead and comfortably seeing the game out without too many scares, and the odd bit of good fortune and a good deal of good defending. That's why we ended up with almost a negative goal difference, we had so many wins by one goal but suffered a few away drubbings (Ipswich/WBA/QPR/Barsnley).

Last season we never seemed to need to kill teams off by scoring extra goals, the confidence was so high and we had a winning mentality, forgetting November and most of March. The previous (promotion) season was similar.

The difference this season has been a mixture of silly mistakes, especially late in recent games, which has almost become a habit. Having Carey missing and McCombe being a bit dodgy lately hasn't helped either :disapointed2se:

One thing GJ seems to deal in (similar to Danny Wilson) is good and bad runs throughout a season. Earlier this season we went 8 games without a win, then comes Xmas and we can't seem to stop accumulating points, and it then goes pear-shaped in March, 2 seasons running. In 2004 Wilson's team won 13 on the trot to top the table at the end of Feb, only to have a nightmare set of results IN MARCH AGAIN :tumbleweed: , culminating in the no-show Brighton play-off final in Cardiff.

Archived