IGNORED

Next Season

Tom Fleuriot

So, this has been touched upon in other threads, but I'd be interested in hearing other people's views on the specific topic; who will be the the main teams challenging next season? I've been thinking about who will be better and who will be worse:

Better:

Sheffield United (no stand-out players to be picked off by Prem clubs)

West Brom (compared with play-off winners)

Ipswich (plenty of cash, which Roy Keane has shown he can use in the Championship)

City (ever hopeful)

Watford (Improved over this season)

Leicester v Norwich (momentum + cash)

Peterborough v Charlton (see above)

Derby

The same:

Preston (always thereabouts)

Reading (if Coppell stays. worse if he goes)

QPR (too much of a shambles to be anything more than dangerous on their day)

Crystal Palace

Nottingham Forest

L1 play-offs v Southampton (Leeds are a little dangerous, but I suspect they'll foul it up again and the others are nothing to write home about).

Sheff Wed (solid team)

Barnsley

Coventry (which means we should get another 6 points off them)

Worse:

Newcastle v Wolves (wil probably lose almost all of their squad - I reckon they'll do the same as Charlton last season ie start really well, decline after Christmas)

Middlesbrough v Birmingham (same principle as Newcastle, only with less pulling power. Can't see Tuncay and Alves staying)

Swansea (will lose Rangel and Gomez, if not Scotland as well)

Cardiff (will lose McCormack, Ledley, and possibly Roger Johnson. Don't have a decent keeper. Will revert to challenging then finishing 9th).

Blackpool (they seem to lose a couple of players every year)

Doncaster (not enough funds)

Plymouth (no Gallagher, in the wrong part of the country to get players in)

I may be being over-optimistic about Newcastle, but I reckon that means the 8-10 teams who should be in with a chance would be (in no particular order);

Sheffield United

West Brom

Ipswich

City

Leicester

Preston

Reading

Newcastle

Cardiff

Middlesbrough

QPR

Would be interested to hear where I've got it wrong (ideally not discussing City, as I reckon that will be covered in more detail elsewhere).

(Edit - accidentally but Watford in the list of challengers. I don't think they'll improve THAT much).

Archived