IGNORED

Go On Ivan!

exiledinwatford

Go on Ivan!

Anybody else find themselves saying that about 10 times a game? Sprouley is our only player with genuine pace and dribbling ability and he has hasn't won a penalty in living memory - what a frustrating player he is!

It seems GJ is using him as a more defensive minded player - sitting back at corners to make sure that we don't get caught on the break. Personally I'd rather he worked on his dribbling and shooting - Go on Ivan! He had one shot today in the second half but instead of taking it first time he took a touch and it was blocked.

Anyone remember a single cross coming from our wing man today?

Go on Ivan!

Anybody else find themselves saying that about 10 times a game? Sprouley is our only player with genuine pace and dribbling ability and he has hasn't won a penalty in living memory - what a frustrating player he is!

It seems GJ is using him as a more defensive minded player - sitting back at corners to make sure that we don't get caught on the break. Personally I'd rather he worked on his dribbling and shooting - Go on Ivan! He had one shot today in the second half but instead of taking it first time he took a touch and it was blocked.

I only said it once today.

I think he first touched the ball after 10 mins, everythng seemed to be going McIndoe's way.

Agreed he didn't get a cross in but whenever he got in possesion Wednesday seemed to double up on him. Still managed to wriggle free a couple of times and won a corner or two. Strangely, I was impressed with his combativity today.

I cannot make my mind up whether it is the players or the system that is the problem. Sproule has done the business against the top clubs in Scotland. Stern John got 19 goals for Saints last season. McIndoe has always been a good player wherever he has been. Maynard would surely score far more goals in a more attack minded team - his link up play is getting better with each game yet he is no nearer to getting played into goalscoring positions. I honestly believe that in the right kind of team he would easily be a 20 goals plus per season forward.

Go on Ivan!

Hard to tell whether you're praising Ivan or damning him? :noexpression: :dunno:

I'm not sure it's possible to "improve your dribbling and shooting" - not to mention wayward crossing, at Ivan's age.

He's no youngster, so without being able to consistently cross, shoot or dribble, what wingman qualities does he posess?

The answer of course is absolutely blistering pace, but at Championship level that alone is simply not enough.

A replacement right winger who can regularly display these intrinsically vital qualities for a wide man must surely be on GJ's list of recruits this Summer, and it certainly wouldn't be a major surprise if Ivan has moved on by August.

Lets be honest, well IMO sprout is Absolutely awful. Like a bad version of Junior.

Shouldnt wear the Shirt, that may seem harsh but i think he IS that bad, if Scotty would have played half the games that Sprout played in we would have seen the difference between a REALLY REALLY quick (but thats it) irishman and a not so quick (PROPER WINGER, TECHNICALLY BETTER, FOOTBALLING BRAIN,BASICALLY EVERYTHING SPROUT ISNT) scotchman.

Christ, if i HAD to choose one of them to play at least 15 games next season my selection would be Super Scott.

He's no youngster, so without being able to consistently cross, shoot or dribble, what wingman qualities does he posess?

The answer of course is absolutely blistering pace, but at Championship level that alone is simply not enough.

Ivan has no wingman qualities, except pace as you say. Technically, he is hopeless as football.

Seriously, if we had a winger with any kind of talent, and with Ivan's pace, he would terrorise any left back in this league. As it is he gets nowhere.

Get a replacement in asap.. please

Guest bigcheese
I cannot make my mind up whether it is the players or the system that is the problem. Sproule has done the business against the top clubs in Scotland. Stern John got 19 goals for Saints last season. McIndoe has always been a good player wherever he has been. Maynard would surely score far more goals in a more attack minded team - his link up play is getting better with each game yet he is no nearer to getting played into goalscoring positions. I honestly believe that in the right kind of team he would easily be a 20 goals plus per season forward.

Keep wanting McIndoe and Sproule to keep things simple and just cross some balls, think out of more desperation than anything else.. In one of the games

Sproule came on as sub and Orr got it to him down the line straight away 4 or 5 times and each time a great set of crosses but then they just stopped and started cutting insider/getting in each other's way. Think sometimes the attacks just overcomplicate things and break down/get countered, is that down to manager instructions to not cross?

I wish he'd have a bit more movement to get behind the full back without the ball instead of waiting for it at his feet all the time.

Exactly. There was an occasion yesterday when Cole had the ball after a Wednesday attack was broken up and a break was on. He practically begged Ivan to make a run so he could put him in behind the defence. Naturally Ivan stood still so the move never happened. Izzy joined in bollocking him afterwards but he just looked baffled as to what he had done wrong. Happens all the time and often has Brad pulling his hair out. Blistering pace but no football brain.

Exactly. There was an occasion yesterday when Cole had the ball after a Wednesday attack was broken up and a break was on. He practically begged Ivan to make a run so he could put him in behind the defence. Naturally Ivan stood still so the move never happened. Izzy joined in bollocking him afterwards but he just looked baffled as to what he had done wrong. Happens all the time and often has Brad pulling his hair out. Blistering pace but no football brain.

Does what the manager tells him to do I expect, yesterday he was full back with Skuse because although he played there Skuse is no full back and the emphasis for Sproule's game was defense yesterday!

When do any of the wingers get to the byline and send over a decent cross?

Yeah that's right, NEVER

Best cross of the game was from MOM Lee Johnson.

Fact is both wingers are poor, Sproule is nothing more than a sub and is a total waste of time.

Best cross was from McIndoe that I thought MacAllister should have put away, but he was on the far side from me so maybe I am being a little harsh.

One of my mates was saying we have put in a bid for Scott Sinclair now there's no saying there is any truth in that but if we could get him think he would be an excellent signing.

As for Sproule I actually think hes better as a striker, although must be said hes an impact player at best.

Hard to tell whether you're praising Ivan or damning him? :noexpression: :dunno:

I'm not sure it's possible to "improve your dribbling and shooting" - not to mention wayward crossing, at Ivan's age.

A replacement right winger who can regularly display these intrinsically vital qualities for a wide man must surely be on GJ's list of recruits this Summer, and it certainly wouldn't be a major surprise if Ivan has moved on by August.

Neither really (or both!) Can't fault his work rate, he tries hard so you couldn't critcise that aspect of his game. Damn him though for being such a frustrating player who one moment looks as if he can wreak havoc in any defence then the next moment doesn't seem to want to attack any defender.

I agree it's probably difficult to expect him to improve as he's been here a couple of years and been working with the current coaching staff.

Neither really (or both!) Can't fault his work rate, he tries hard so you couldn't critcise that aspect of his game. Damn him though for being such a frustrating player who one moment looks as if he can wreak havoc in any defence then the next moment doesn't seem to want to attack any defender.

I agree it's probably difficult to expect him to improve as he's been here a couple of years and been working with the current coaching staff.

I'm not convinced by his work rate either - he often seems to be loath to run into a position where he is likely to receive the ball and therefore be expected to do something with it, apparently preferring instead to meander around in a more crowded area until the ball ends up elsewhere.

He's been doing more chasing back recently, which is obviously to his credit, but he still seems to suffer with a lack of stamina and often appears to be completely knackered after being involved in the action for a while.

As for what he should be doing, really worrying the opposition and 'affecting the game', it simply doesn't happen often enough.

Archived