IGNORED

This Season

cidercity1987

I wonder how many of the 3,500 new season ticket holders we had this season will renew? I'd wager a max of 20%, not because of the recession but because we've missed the chance to lock them in. 13, mainly dull and cagey, draws clearly isn't the way to do this.

How many games at Ashton Gate have you come away thinking:

a) We played really well?

b) The fans were given value for money in terms of entertainment?

Of course we must be grateful to have consolidated our Championship status but I hope Johnson learns from the mistakes of this season and becomes more attack-minded in future. Why are we seemingly incapable of getting that killer second goal?

I wonder how many of the 3,500 new season ticket holders we had this season will renew? I'd wager a max of 20%, not because of the recession but because we've missed the chance to lock them in. 13, mainly dull and cagey, draws clearly isn't the way to do this.

Of course we must be grateful to have consolidated our Championship status but I hope Johnson learns from the mistakes of this season and becomes more attack-minded in future. Why are we seemingly incapable of getting that killer second goal?

You will get panned sarcastically by the usual suspects on here for holding this view which is entirely valid in my opinion. The sort of answer you will get is "I'd rather win 1-0 and play poorly than draw 3-3 and play well" - great argument except that we have mostly been playing poorly and NOT winning 1-0. If we're going to draw at "Fortress Ashton" as some now state it to be 13 times a season then I'd rather we do it by playing some decent football.

Entertainment does not appear to be in the GJ mindset which is all well and good until you factor in the lack of wins at home. In effect, we've neither entertained in or won the tight games and this is certainly one reason why many fans will be voting "with their feet" next season. Especially when you consider that many people have been made redundant or taken cuts in pay and whether some on here like it or not Value For Money then becomes an issue over blind support for the club. It doesn't matter how much spin or sarcasm certain people on here put on it that is what is going to happen. Average attendances of 14K tops next season unless GJ oversees something remarkable.

You will get panned sarcastically by the usual suspects on here for holding this view which is entirely valid in my opinion. The sort of answer you will get is "I'd rather win 1-0 and play poorly than draw 3-3 and play well" - great argument except that we have mostly been playing poorly and NOT winning 1-0. If we're going to draw at "Fortress Ashton" as some now state it to be 13 times a season then I'd rather we do it by playing some decent football.

Entertainment does not appear to be in the GJ mindset which is all well and good until you factor in the lack of wins at home. In effect, we've neither entertained in or won the tight games and this is certainly one reason why many fans will be voting "with their feet" next season. Especially when you consider that many people have been made redundant or taken cuts in pay and whether some on here like it or not Value For Money then becomes an issue over blind support for the club. It doesn't matter how much spin or sarcasm certain people on here put on it that is what is going to happen. Average attendances of 14K tops next season unless GJ oversees something remarkable.

Just out of curiosity, who exactly are you looking to be entertained by ? Lets face it, we have a team of workhorses, and i don`t mean that to come across as derogoratory. Who are you looking to to provide that individual flair. If we possessed those players and were still getting the results we`ve been getting then i could understand the basis of your argument, but we don`t.

PDG

Agreed about the second goal, but during the second half I remembered that we just weren't going to get it, and would concede within the last 5 minutes.

I don't think about the money, or watch City to be entertained, I just go because.. well why would I not go, it's City.

There is an issue about tactics I think. We repeatedly try to defend a one goal lead but sooner or later give away a goal. No need to go gung-ho but carry on playing, don't drop back and concede possession (as we invariably do) and the chances of getting a second are greater and the chances of the opposition scoring less. I suspect Gary feels he doesn't have the players for a more progressive game (particularly on the flanks) but if he can bring in the new ones he wants we will take a different approach. I have no doubt he will get the balance right.

Just out of curiosity, who exactly are you looking to be entertained by ? Lets face it, we have a team of workhorses, and i don`t mean that to come across as derogoratory. Who are you looking to to provide that individual flair. If we possessed those players and were still getting the results we`ve been getting then i could understand the basis of your argument, but we don`t.

PDG

Agreed about the second goal, but during the second half I remembered that we just weren't going to get it, and would concede within the last 5 minutes.

I don't think about the money, or watch City to be entertained, I just go because.. well why would I not go, it's City.

That's very true and I'm the same. However other people don't show such blind loyalty and we need to appeal to these if we're to expand our fanbase.

Lumping every new ST's motives into one and deriving from that their motives for next year is silly.

Another view could be that the value for money on a per match basis has opened their eyes to their folly of not buying a ST sooner and with the ability to bring their children at a lower price the number of season ticket holders will be about the same next year.

PDG

You misunderstand my argument. I don't need you to tell me we have a team of workhorses - a blind man facing the opposite direction to the pitch could spot that. And that strategy has worked to this point in time but recent evidence suggests (last twelve matches) that other Managers have worked us out and therefore modifications to the personnel and tactics are required. My argument is that the team needs to evolve from being a collection of workhorses and needs to add some quality and flair to it's ranks. The trick is to bring in good footballers that will also work hard and I am sure there are players out there who can improve upon what we have got in that regard.

Lumping every new ST's motives into one and deriving from that their motives for next year is silly.

Another view could be that the value for money on a per match basis has opened their eyes to their folly of not buying a ST sooner and with the ability to bring their children at a lower price the number of season ticket holders will be about the same next year.

The view of the football club itself, which I think is about right, is that we will shift around 10K of season tickets for next season - a loss of around 3½K on this season if I am not mistaken. Recessions hurt people badly and as hard as it may be to stomach the needs of the football club come a long way second to those of your family - that isn't silly, it's the economic times many people live in these days. Therefore, value for money and entertainment is an important factor for many when deciding whether to lay out fifty to one hundred sheets to take their family to the football or not. I find it amazing that a minority of people do not understand this.

There is an issue about tactics I think. We repeatedly try to defend a one goal lead but sooner or later give away a goal. No need to go gung-ho but carry on playing, don't drop back and concede possession (as we invariably do) and the chances of getting a second are greater and the chances of the opposition scoring less. I suspect Gary feels he doesn't have the players for a more progressive game (particularly on the flanks) but if he can bring in the new ones he wants we will take a different approach. I have no doubt he will get the balance right.

entertainment value and tactics havr been poor but the main reason i'm dissappointed is that we have lost our fight - over the last few years win, lose or draw we showed spirit till the end and alot of goals were bundled over through sheer determination from set pieces etc.

Of course i want us to play at highest level and watch attractive football but as a minimum i expect the 11 players on the pitch to give 100% and a manager to challenge his selections sadly that has not been the case for the last month or so

You misunderstand my argument. I don't need you to tell me we have a team of workhorses - a blind man facing the opposite direction to the pitch could spot that. And that strategy has worked to this point in time but recent evidence suggests (last twelve matches) that other Managers have worked us out and therefore modifications to the personnel and tactics are required. My argument is that the team needs to evolve from being a collection of workhorses and needs to add some quality and flair to it's ranks. The trick is to bring in good footballers that will also work hard and I am sure there are players out there who can improve upon what we have got in that regard.

OK. As i agree with what you`ve said i guess i did misunderstand :tumbleweed:

PDG

I think the problem is that for pretty much as long as Johnson has been manager, people have been coming on here saying 'we can't keep holding on to 1-0 leads, eventually it will cost us'. But for the first 2 and a half seasons under Johnson, it didn't, and as a result of this Johnson has stuck with a tactic which has clearly worked well in the past. He's been caught out because for whatever reason (defensive mistakes, injuries, sheer bad luck) it's no longer working, and he now has to consider either a change of tactic, or a change of personnel to bring in players who are more able to hold out. Given that I'd say the defense is the strongest area of our squad anyway, I'd hope he goes with the former. Of course, if we could score more than one goal in the first place, that would help.

Archived