IGNORED

The Beginnings Of A New Back Four

WarksRed

the back four yesterday look the most mobile we've had all season ........ izzy and fonts must be the central pairing for the future, skuse did ok at right back, lack of experience in that position showed a few times, but he was fast enough to recover.

with Ribeiro fit for next season, that only leave the left back position for me, unless one of the new youngsters is being groomed for that position, thats one we need for next season.

Ivan frustrates the hell out of me, with his speed he should be parked out wide on the touchline on the full back shoulder, with a pass inside the fullback for him to chase he'd be through time after time. even though his crossing is indifferent, the more crosses he puts in, the more chance of one getting in the right area.

Macca has been really sussed out this season...... he's not fast enough to get past many defenders, they all know know to usher him inside, and being 90% left footed he can then only go sideways agross the pitch, normally finishing up in the inside right spot. (in our half of the pitch)

i flet the plan yesterday was for LJ and Gav to come through and feed of nicky, one it worked and for a few other times it was close.

for all Wednesdays running about we weren't really under any threat.

the substitutions changed that, like or dislike Nicky you can't fault his workrate, he was closing down defenders right until he was subbed........ then it all changed ........

we started defending 20 yards nearer our goal, ...before the substitutions if Wednesday had a corner, we kepy Nicky and Ivan upfield occupying three of theire players, after the substitutions at Wednesday corners we had ALL our players back, not one City player more than 5 yards outside of our penalty box,

if you invite the opposition to attack you ....... you will pay ......... and we did.

and finally Basso ....... on 76 mins, he stood with the ball at his feet for almost 30 secs until a Wednesday player went to the ball, then he picked it up ........ 1 - 0 up at home ...15 mins to go .... and your wasting time ???

yesterday was disapointing not for the result, but for the style of play ........... i'd have taken a 4 - 3 loss in a nothing game, if we'd ( all 17,000 odd of us ) been entertained, because with nothing to play for yesterday, it was a chance for us to be entertained.

main conclusion from the day ..Izzy .. must be worth a contract .........

mystery of the day, .. Styvar ....... injured ?? if not where was he ........

oh ...... and Marie ........ looking good today in her finery in the Directors box ....... 'the lady in Black'

and ....... we still can have a say in whether Burnley stay in the 'pray offs' .......

and as the Premier League is looking ........ anyone know any good hotels in Newcastle to stay at next season ???

No Louis Carey ? don't take the piss.

Carey, has been the rock that has held the defence together ........ but i reckon he only has 1 year maybe 2 left in him, if he helped us go up in that time, the Premier League would come to late for him,

if were building for the future, which may mean 2 or 3 years, you need to put new defensives pairings together now ......

i'm not saying Izzy or Fonts are better than Carey ........ the difference is ...... they are at least 7 years younger and much more mobile .

every season players seem to get bigger, stronger, and faster ......... ..

if you can't compete physically ....... to let your more skillful players do their stuff, you're in bother.

Careys experience compensates for a lot of things, ........ but its like all things ........

you get better or you get worse, nothing stands still

Izzy has done enough for a contract for me, however only as backup to louis and fonts who would be my nailed on starting two.

Although i have been impressed with his performances so far izzy has had a fair few 'lucky bounces' and made some rather clumsy tackles that have fortunately gone unoticed.

Ask any swans fan and they will tell you the same thing, hes deccent centreback cover but hes no world beater.

I'm not entirely convinced by Izzy. He's a very good old-fashioned centre-back, and showed great awareness yesterday. But I have concerns that his clearances don't entirely get rid of the danger - they tend to go straight to the opposition and invite pressure. Maybe that's to do with positioning and alertness of players further upfield, not entirely sure. But while I think he's good enough for a squad place, I can't decide whether he'd push us on to the next level.

like or dislike Nicky you can't fault his workrate, he was closing down defenders right until he was subbed........ then it all changed ........

we started defending 20 yards nearer our goal, ...before the substitutions if Wednesday had a corner, we kept Nicky and Ivan upfield occupying three of theire players, after the substitutions at Wednesday corners we had ALL our players back, not one City player more than 5 yards outside of our penalty box,

if you invite the opposition to attack you ....... you will pay ......... and we did.

Thats what i like about maynard he helps us defend from the front which pins the opposistion back further, none of our other strikers seem to fo this or at least that much. Yesterday i thought he did well by himself.... couldn't hoof up so much to him.

and as the Premier League is looking ........ anyone know any good hotels in Newcastle to stay at next season ???

A mate knows a girl up there so we're all going up next season if they get relegated and having a weekend up there :cool::yahoo:

Bristol boys and geordie lasses lovely :whistle2:

Must be sitting behind me to take that photo -(do you shout NOOOOOOOO every time the ref gives a foul against us?).

As to Izzy - he does look competent however two concerns and if we can get better I would get them in:

1) his distribution looked a bit anxious and nervous and bad to be frank - fortunately we had Skuse at right back who was always available, however imagine Bradley and it could get messy.

2) won a few headers in the air but that was against a forward line that didnt look to big or physical.

We need a leader to replace Carey in the future someone who tells the back four what to do.

Whilst I'm at it, Basso - first half refused to and ignored Skuse's request for the ball to be played out to him - obviously Basso thinks he has better and more accurate passing than Skuse - was notable by his refusal to pass the ball out to him when no one was about but he would gladly roll the ball to McAllister with an opponent within 5 yards of him - baffled me.

tbh i reckon izzy is a quality defender and should be offered a contract

and fonts has had a bloody good season aswell

but i couldnt imagine a permanent defence without carey (not just yet anyway) he's a rock at the back and barely gets beat! he should defo be given a new contract in the summer

I don't think Carey next year will play half of the games and we will be looking to bring in another decent cb for the next season. Even with Ribiero having to break back in the team we still need one decent CB.

And posibly another good full back to challenge with Orr (if hes still here) and Mcca instead of playing skuse in a position he played well in on Saturday but isnt a Defender.

I don't think Carey next year will play half of the games and we will be looking to bring in another decent cb for the next season. Even with Ribiero having to break back in the team we still need one decent CB.

And posibly another good full back to challenge with Orr (if hes still here) and Mcca instead of playing skuse in a position he played well in on Saturday but isnt a Defender.

riberio will be challenging Orr as he is a full back,

What makes you think he is a CB he played RB on his debut and he nearly always played at RB for the reserves

James Wilson deserves to be in the mix. He's been in the aquad since he returned from loan until injured. I think handing Izzy a contract would be a slap in the face for Wilson. Nearly as tall as McCombe, under 21 Welsh International, can pass and possesses good footballing skills. At 20 he should be ready to show his best. GJ signed him to a 4 year contract. For me he has to be in the mix before Izzy.

I think that GJ likes having McCombe around, especially to deal with large lumps, another club in the bag.

Starting next season we should have Orr, Ribiero, Carey, J Wilson, Fontaine, McCombe and McAllister. Like many others, I feel we can do better than McAllister, we at least could use a good alternative. McAllister is 30 next season, gives away unneccessary free kicks and is often found out for speed. Cover for McAllister would give us 8 players under contract for 4 positions, should be enough with more cover from Brian Wilson and Skuse if needed.

James Wilson deserves to be in the mix. He's been in the aquad since he returned from loan until injured. I think handing Izzy a contract would be a slap in the face for Wilson. Nearly as tall as McCombe, under 21 Welsh International, can pass and possesses good footballing skills. At 20 he should be ready to show his best. GJ signed him to a 4 year contract. For me he has to be in the mix before Izzy.

I think that GJ likes having McCombe around, especially to deal with large lumps, another club in the bag.

Starting next season we should have Orr, Ribiero, Carey, J Wilson, Fontaine, McCombe and McAllister. Like many others, I feel we can do better than McAllister, we at least could use a good alternative. McAllister is 30 next season, gives away unneccessary free kicks and is often found out for speed. Cover for McAllister would give us 8 players under contract for 4 positions, should be enough with more cover from Brian Wilson and Skuse if needed.

Totally agree about James Wilson, the four centre backs in our squad competing for two places should definitely include him.

To me it has to be either Iriekpen or McCombe, the latter is under contract for next season but has struggled a fair bit of late, the former doesn't have the best of injury records but is clearly quicker, I have a hunch that GJ will look to move big Jame on this summer and give Izzy a year's contract as cover for Carey.

As for McAllister, he was actually 31 this week, to me he needs some proper competition for his place, as he's good enough to be in the squad but not good enough to be the automatic selection that he's been this year, IMO.

Totally agree about James Wilson, the four centre backs in our squad competing for two places should definitely include him.

To me it has to be either Iriekpen or McCombe, the latter is under contract for next season but has struggled a fair bit of late, the former doesn't have the best of injury records but is clearly quicker, I have a hunch that GJ will look to move big Jame on this summer and give Izzy a year's contract as cover for Carey.

As for McAllister, he was actually 31 this week, to me he needs some proper competition for his place, as he's good enough to be in the squad but not good enough to be the automatic selection that he's been this year, IMO.

Agree 100%. The fact he has no serious competition is crazy for a club at our level.

Archived