IGNORED

Will He Come Good Next Season ?

Carey 6

I Feel that nicky maynard will come good next season in the ccc he hasnt done that badly considering 11 goals in his first season for us a club that don't usually score that many....some say he has done runnish up to jason scotlands first season but i feel that scotland has had the right players giving him good service therefore easier to score the goals ? i would just like to see what everybody though of nicky maynards season ?

Nicky's three goals against Antwerp raised expectations in the pre-season. We soon saw that against Championship opposition he was too easily shuffled off the ball and initially, he failed to deliver in line with expectations - too lightweight.

I think he has grown in stature (not literally of course, but in terms of presence) during the season and has scored some excellent goals - the one against Cardiff stands out for me - and he's been fortunate with the patience the crowd has shown him. This was largely due to the disappointment we experienced with LT, who also failed to live up to expectations (with the substantial exception of his play-off goal against Palace), so we had "been there, got the teeshirt", so to speak.

I think Nicky will come good for us - this forum has debated at length the fact that he doesn't currently receive the sort of service he needs to thrive - and he has a great talent waiting to blossom in the Championship. Things can be changed to his benefit, particularly if Dele goes and we stop lumping it up in the hope Nicky will pick up the occasional flick-on. A lot will depend on Dele's replacement and the style of play GJ adopts. If it's another Dele type player and we carry on as before, then Nicky will still struggle, in my humble opinion.

I think there's a simple solution to Maynard getting more goals and that is better service, he makes intelligent runs and people do not spot them most of the time or the through balls are not good enough. We will see the best of Maynard when we get a quality midfielder to play him in.

I agree with those that feel he will come good next season. I do feel some of the comments about the service he got was the reason for his only scoring 11 goals. Nicky himself said I believe that he would back himself to score given 1 on 1 opportunities, if you checked I think you would find that on a number of occasions he failed to put the ball away. But thats behind us, lets look forawrd to next season.

Good spells but disappointing overall considering the club record fee we spent on him.

We could have paid £30m for Rooney and even he would have struggled at times to score in this side!!

Just because you pay £2.5m for a young striker, it doesnt mean that he can run up the wing, skin a few opposition players, cross it in and then quickly run onto the ball himself to finish off a superb move.

The reality is that over the course of the season, we didn't create enough chances to score. I've missed quite a few home games this season due to moving to Norwich, but from the ones I did see other than the goals we did score, I honestly don't think that there were that many "bums off seats" moments - be it from goal scoring opportunities or players through on goal.

On that basis I think that were we will finish is a very good result!!

Seems that we're all pretty much agreed that quick ball, on the ground, will be the key to NM scoring more goals next season. I've been a bit surprised by the way that NM has struggled to make himself half a yard and let fly with something meaningful in most one-on-one situations this season - maybe I expect more from a £2M+ player.

Having said that, I also think we have only seen a glimpse of what NM is capable of and I'm looking forward already to seeing him really do the business next season.

I think he has done ok this season. Not brilliant but ok!

Importantly for me though he has shown glimpses of the potential he has the same as Williams did early on in the season! Things havent always gone there way but sometimes you can just see certain things from a players performances that show that the potential is there and that hopefully it will come good.

I believe both Maynard and Williams will be big players for us next season if they stay injury free!

Showed the occasional flash of ability but overall quite disapointing, we paid way over the odds for him and I think we have quite a average player on our hands for the money we parted with, he'll score 10 or so a season but just don't see him being that prolific.

Seems to not read the game very well and is always on his heals, if you watch the best strikers they all have brilliant anticipation. Even when Lita was here he had the abililty to sniff out a chance from nothing, I just don't see that in Maynard and he seems to run around alot with out really doing much. But then that could be said for many players in the current squad.

He needs it put on a plate and even then he'll make a mess of it. Two that spring to mind was the header he missed against Blackpool on the opening day of the season, I'd of been disapointed to of missed that one! Then the howler against Sheffield Wednesday when one on one and he missed the target completely.

No doubt in my mind that Maynard will come good. Ok, so he's missed a few, but to miss them in the first place you have to be in the right place - you can't teach that. He's had his settling in period now, and 11 in a team that doesn't score a lot is not a bad achievement at all. Like everyone has said though, we need to play to his strengths. No point paying big bucks for a striker if you don't have someone loading the gun for him.

I'm sure that the midfield will be sorted out this summer and that NM will be a lot closer, hopefully over!, to 20 goals next season, we could do with it!!

No doubt in my mind that Maynard will come good. Ok, so he's missed a few, but to miss them in the first place you have to be in the right place - you can't teach that. He's had his settling in period now, and 11 in a team that doesn't score a lot is not a bad achievement at all. Like everyone has said though, we need to play to his strengths. No point paying big bucks for a striker if you don't have someone loading the gun for him.

I'm sure that the midfield will be sorted out this summer and that NM will be a lot closer, hopefully over!, to 20 goals next season, we could do with it!!

please tell me you know something i don't. i'd love it to be true but i bet this doesnt happen. we'll lose marv and bring in a replacement and that'll be that i'd wager.

please tell me you know something i don't. i'd love it to be true but i bet this doesnt happen. we'll lose marv and bring in a replacement and that'll be that i'd wager.

Andy / Milo - I'm giving GJ every chance to change the midfield around, come 1st September if it hasn't been sorted then I'll be as worried as you guys! Surely he can see that it's not working right now, and we need that creative spark, although if Williams stays fit then we might already have that player here. Would like to see someone else come in though, been badly missed this season.

I Feel that nicky maynard will come good next season in the ccc he hasnt done that badly considering 11 goals in his first season for us a club that don't usually score that many....some say he has done runnish up to jason scotlands first season but i feel that scotland has had the right players giving him good service therefore easier to score the goals ? i would just like to see what everybody though of nicky maynards season ?

To be honest, he did what I would have expected but he wasn't worth the money we paid for him in my opinion.

That's not his fault of course but I would hope for more from a £2m striker at our level.

Maybe next year though..

well i agree with everyone else that are saying we need good midfielders in the side to give him the chances he needs to score ...

look at kightly with 19 assists and then there is mcindoe with 7 just simply isnt good enough

well i agree with everyone else that are saying we need good midfielders in the side to give him the chances he needs to score ...

look at kightly with 19 assists and then there is mcindoe with 7 just simply isnt good enough

:chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez::chant6ez:

I think there's a simple solution to Maynard getting more goals and that is better service, he makes intelligent runs and people do not spot them most of the time or the through balls are not good enough. We will see the best of Maynard when we get a quality midfielder to play him in.

Totally agree.

Nicky lacks the service on which he can thrive. Byfield only got 8 goals last season for the same reason (no service). I agree, we need a quality midfielder to supply quality service.

maynards done ok and looks like a confidence player

however his lack of real pace for someonme so young is a worry

I think he will do well for us and score a decent fill of goals, but we need someome to play with him who can get there fair share aswell

Guest MaloneFM

I think for 2.5 mill and eleven goals all season he has been bloody awful. Andy Cole cost less and did more. So did Lita.

Pull your bloody finger out son! :disapointed2se:

Archived