IGNORED

The Ramifications Of Today's Shambles

headhunter

1 Season Ticket sales

Renewals currently 7000 [?] How many of the remainder of this season's holders will think thanks, but no thanks: 2000 = £800000

2 This group of players

It's all rather cosy isn't it. Never mind the gj/lj thing, there are 6 others who, to quote Gary himself are nailed on selections each week if fit. Two seasons in a row we have blown up: 07/08 2 wins in the last 10, 08/09 2 wins in the last 14

3 The Chairman

Clearly has ambition for the club - will he question whether GJ is the man to take us on from here.

1 Season Ticket sales

Renewals currently 7000 [?] How many of the remainder of this season's holders will think thanks, but no thanks: 2000 = £800000

2 This group of players

It's all rather cosy isn't it. Never mind the gj/lj thing, there are 6 others who, to quote Gary himself are nailed on selections each week if fit. Two seasons in a row we have blown up: 07/08 2 wins in the last 10, 08/09 2 wins in the last 14

3 The Chairman

Clearly has ambition for the club - will he question whether GJ is the man to take us on from here.

Do you think he should? And if you were SL, what would you decide?

What else did you expect? It was a NOTHING game for us plus our season finished over a month ago whilst they had everything to play for. So we got stuffed four zilch. Who gives a......

Bet the fans of Charlton, Southampton and Norwich would swap with us right NOW.

Upwards and onwards - The 2008/9 season is now history - LET IT GO.

Lets look forward to next with SL and GJ.

What else did you expect? It was a NOTHING game for us plus our season finished over a month ago whilst they had everything to play for. So we got stuffed four zilch. Who gives a......

It's alright for the fans to ignore this run but it has ramifications for next season as someone has described in another thread. Lower season ticket sales, poor confidence moving forward and last season we saw how important momentum is in football.

Edit: In fact it's this thread, my bad.

1 Season Ticket sales

2 This group of players

3 The Chairman

All agreed. What did we expect with a 4-3-3. Clearly we just wanted the season to finish

Guest DanC
It's alright for the fans to ignore this run but it has ramifications for next season as someone has described in another thread. Lower season ticket sales, poor confidence moving forward and last season we saw how important momentum is in football.

The players in there heads are already on holiday. Even though GJ said he wanted us to win I doubt that is the case. He is hardly going to come out and say we want to lose to **** Cardiff up is he?

you never know it could put off all those glory hunting people who only bought a st to watch Premier League football next season or hopefully it makes the boo boys stay away would rather have 15k attendances but everyone gets behind the team

The last 10 games to me suggests we need a major overhaul in the close season. The nagging doubts I have surround GJ's apparent failing judgment and whether he can really get in the players we need. The last 18 months of transfers have hardly filled me with confidence that the summer ones will be up to scratch. I anxiously await.

you never know it could put off all those glory hunting people who only bought a st to watch Premier League football next season or hopefully it makes the boo boys stay away would rather have 15k attendances but everyone gets behind the team

What boo boys?

This seasons support has been one of the most positive in years in my opinion. You always get one or two but I doubt they make a difference. I'd also be surprised if 15k was our average next season if its similar or worse than this one.

Understand your view but the message early season was "judge us at the end of the season". From what I am reading that is all this thread is about.

As for the Charlton, Southampton, Norwich argument you could add Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town & Yeovil, it makes not a jot of a difference its what happens to CITY that matters!

1 Season Ticket sales

Do you think 2000 Preston ST holders decided not to renew on the basis of the last game of last season? To make a decision on our chances for next season based on this game would be madness.

2 This group of players

Next season the squad will be different - and those with nailed on places will change. e.g McCombe has gone from fixture to squad player in the last 6 months. Others will do the same as the squad improves.

3 The Chairman

He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't. I'm sure it won't be too difficult for him to come up with the right answer.

Here's a prediction for you all....next season we are going to struggle to stay in this league. Johnson as shown far too much loyalty to certain individuals and it will come back to bite him and us on the arse in 12 months. We are not just a team in a bad run of form, our problems are far deeper than that ans the rot has really set in.

I just don't see the changes required to turn things around happening overnight with Gary at the helm, especially as he already come out and said 6 or 7 of the current squad are nailed on selections.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this way.

All agreed. What did we expect with a 4-3-3. Clearly we just wanted the season to finish

i do not think GJ and especially SL will have viewed it as 'oh lets just get it over with'... as an earlier poster mentioned it will have ramifications on the number of season ticket sales. finishing the season with a win or at least a decent performance sets it up nicely for the close season and start of the new season. As it stands now, this result and the many before it are going to cost the board money in lost sales and perhaps the need to bring in more fresh faces than otherwise planned. The players probably only have themselves to blame then if they find their P45 handed to them in the coming weeks.

I can't get too over excited when a mid table team loses away on the last day to a team that needs to win to make the playoffs.

However I hope our lengthy run of away defeats and home draws has convinced GJ that last summers' two arrivals certainly won't be enough again this time around.

We know which players are being released but beyond that we may need to be more pro active in moving a few more on to create the space needed for the 5 new faces that is the minimum we now require.

Also as an aside what are we to make of GJ's obvious total lack of faith in Styvar? an unused sub again today, the chances of him still being at Ashton next season must surely be no more than 50/50.

What boo boys?

This seasons support has been one of the most positive in years in my opinion. You always get one or two but I doubt they make a difference. I'd also be surprised if 15k was our average next season if its similar or worse than this one.

what the ironic cheers for lj, mcindoe, and john the chaps who give gj stick just because we don't win every game if thats good support i would hate to see bad

Next season the squad will be different - and those with nailed on places will change. e.g McCombe has gone from fixture to squad player in the last 6 months. Others will do the same as the squad improves.

Yep, for me McCombe has seen the biggest drop in form this season of any player in the squad IMO.. notwithstanding his injuries. The loss of Carey through injury has been massive these past few weeks; we rarely do well without him which is a constant worry going forward. I also am now questioning the overall ability and focus of Orr.. always had him right up there but the few matches i have managed to get to this season i have been very disappointed with him. Fontaine, on the other hand, seems to get better but again i think we must strengthen with probably 2 defenders.

If Elliott goes we surely need 2 in midfield and we need commanding players in that position perhaps a prem player who is in his early 30's would be the type of player we need... someone who can take up the captaincy mantle when Carey is out. We seem utterly rudderless without him. This surely is a must for Gary to address.

As for upfront well we seem to do well in fits and starts and that aint good enough for a play off spot. Dele looks like he may go, Styvar and Akinde clearly need more time so that leaves us very very light up front. I reckon 2 new strikers, and at least one proven, beyond doubt, from the top flight or champs is required.

get to work Garrrssss. !!

what the ironic cheers for lj, mcindoe, and john the chaps who give gj stick just because we don't win every game if thats good support i would hate to see bad

So you think our current run is down to a few isolated incidents that happen everywhere, even at the Wolves who didn't seem to let it affect them.

We should take our medicine whilst it doesn't really hurt us. Far better to get outplayed and outclassed now so that the final nail in the coffin of the "boys who did well for us over the last couple of seasons" is finally rammed home. At least GJ can see without a shadow of a doubt that he is carrying excess baggage in our squad that has clearly reached the absolute limit of it's ability. To me, McCombe is a perfect example and he is not alone by a long chalk. Only a complete fool would be unable (or perhaps unwilling) to see that we need significant squad strenthening for next season and I am absolutely sure that GJ and KN are no fools.

I look upon this as a blessing in disguise - everyone including even the most one eyed optimistic supporter KNOWS that this bunch of lads, AS A GROUP, has finally reached the end of the road (and we should thank them for their effors as some of them hit the exit door). We will strengthen significantly and we will be better for it next season in my view.

It might not suit your particular argument but most reasonable minded people would acknowledge that the support for the boys, in the main, has been excellent this season when looking at the results at the Gate and the style of football played.

Forget today, let's look at the whole season.

Apart from a brilliant 12 game run just after Christmas, we would be relegated.

Surely that rings alarm bells?

So you think our current run is down to a few isolated incidents that happen everywhere, even at the Wolves who didn't seem to let it affect them.

and where did i say that someone was on about season ticket sales and you said are support has been good and i pointed out where its not been to good and i can think of at least 4 or 5 games where the atmosphere at the gate has been as flat as a witches tit

but nowhere have i said anything about it making us go on our bad runs

Not wishing to be rude but I have read some stupid posts in my time but this one has got to be in the top 10.We rationalise yet another abysmal defeat with the hope it will reduce the attendances at Ashton Gate.At a time when the Chairman is splashing out a fortune to build a new stadium and presumably needs every supporter even glory hunters and moaners to attend and put as much money in to the club as possible.

Also I would love to know how many people bought a season ticket this season expecting the Premier League.

The problems at the club at the moment are with the team's and the Manager's performance not with people who have paid for season tickets or who are fed up with sub standard performances.

and where did i say that someone was on about season ticket sales and you said are support has been good and i pointed out where its not been to good and i can think of at least 4 or 5 games where the atmosphere at the gate has been as flat as a witches tit

but nowhere have i said anything about it making us go on our bad runs

That's very true although I presumed that was what you were inferring. We need all the support we can get, more money to the club and if that means accepting booing once all season, two ironic cheers and a few misguided comments then I reckon that's alright.

Not wishing to be rude but I have read some stupid posts in my time but this one has got to be in the top 10.We rationalise yet another abysmal defeat with the hope it will reduce the attendances at Ashton Gate.At a time when the Chairman is splashing out a fortune to build a new stadium and presumably needs every supporter even glory hunters and moaners to attend and put as much money in to the club as possible.

Also I would love to know how many people bought a season ticket this season expecting the Premier League.

The problems at the club at the moment are with the team's and the Manager's performance not with people who have paid for season tickets or who are fed up with sub standard performances.

I'm sure there were lots of people who only bought a st expecting Premier League football next season and I'm sure if those people don't renew it wont hit our finances that hard

I'm sure there were lots of people who only bought a st expecting Premier League football next season and I'm sure if those people don't renew it wont hit our finances that hard

Cant agree...I don't know the exact figures but City's season ticket uptake the year before was circa 10,000 this increased to circa 13,500 this season. No business man would be happy to potentialy loose 3,000 customers!

You wouldn't be happy to make up the deficit in ticket price increases would you?

Archived