IGNORED

Today - Questionable Decisions Throughout

Ron

Having spent £20 on tickets and god knows how much on travel and accomodation in Burnley, I feel entitled to have a moan about today's utter shambles and frankly if you don't like it then I don't care.

1. Marlon Jackson

Arrived at Turf Moor to see an unsual #35 on show, and delighted to see Marlon Jackson training with the rest of the squad. Gutted to later learn that he wasn't even named on the subs bench.. Has to beg the question, what the hell was he doing there? The 'matchday experience' could have been much better used getting a short run-out at the end, especially since we have a player in his position who has expressed his intention to leave the club effectively as of the end of the game today. Supposedly he's just returned from an injury, but if he's fit enough to warm up pre-game he's fit enough for 20 minutes of football. If he's not good enough for this league yet, then why is he good enough to be the 17th man? You either use sentiment or you don't, double-standards otherwise.

2. Styvar

Johnson has said one at least one occasion that Styvar needs time to adjust to English football. So does he plan to do this by sticking him on the bench and leaving him there game after game?! When Maynard came off after the break, he had the perfect opportunity to put Styvar on, as he is not the same player as Dele and at 2-0 down it's not as though we weren't already on the end of a hiding, with nothing to lose. An utterly baffling call.

3. Today's starting line-up

This is the most ridiculous decision, considering the players available and left on the bench. As we were playing a 4-4-2, Johnson decided it necessary to play three central midfielders. This left no width on the left, and McAllister to be our only attacking outlet down this side, despite being our most suspect defender. It also left McIndoe, who has never heard of a right foot, out on the right wing, when we had Ivan Sproule on the bench. What would have been wrong with McIndoe - Johnson - Elliott - Sproule?! Or something similar? This is neither a case of players to fit the formation nor formation to fit the players, because neither fitted.

Personally I think we were doomed from the start today, perhaps because of the players' lackadasical approach, but moreso because of these ridiculous decisions made by Johnson.

Edit: It was Jackson, not Plummer.

Having spent £20 on tickets and god knows how much on travel and accomodation in Burnley, I feel entitled to have a moan about today's utter shambles and frankly if you don't like it then I don't care.

1. Marlon Jackson

Arrived at Turf Moor to see an unsual #35 on show, and delighted to see Marlon Jackson training with the rest of the squad. Gutted to later learn that he wasn't even named on the subs bench.. Has to beg the question, what the hell was he doing there? The 'matchday experience' could have been much better used getting a short run-out at the end, especially since we have a player in his position who has expressed his intention to leave the club effectively as of the end of the game today. Supposedly he's just returned from an injury, but if he's fit enough to warm up pre-game he's fit enough for 20 minutes of football. If he's not good enough for this league yet, then why is he good enough to be the 17th man? You either use sentiment or you don't, double-standards otherwise.

2. Styvar

Johnson has said one at least one occasion that Styvar needs time to adjust to English football. So does he plan to do this by sticking him on the bench and leaving him there game after game?! When Maynard came off after the break, he had the perfect opportunity to put Styvar on, as he is not the same player as Dele and at 2-0 down it's not as though we weren't already on the end of a hiding, with nothing to lose. An utterly baffling call.

This is the most ridiculous decision, considering the players available and left on the bench. As we were playing a 4-4-2, Johnson decided it necessary to play three central midfielders. This left no width on the left, and McAllister to be our only attacking outlet down this side, despite being our most suspect defender. It also left McIndoe, who has never heard of a right foot, out on the right wing, when we had Ivan Sproule on the bench. What would have been wrong with McIndoe - Johnson - Elliott - Sproule?! Or something similar? This is neither a case of players to fit the formation nor formation to fit the players, because neither fitted.

Personally I think we were doomed from the start today, perhaps because of the players' lackadasical approach, but moreso because of these ridiculous decisions made by Johnson.

I wasn't there at the game today, so I can't comment on point 3, however I can't argue with points 1 & 2. What's the point of not allowing these players to gain experience by throwing them on?

Apparently you should be more in the know than me - supposedly we were playing a 4-3-3! McIndoe barely got over the half-way line bar the one chance he made in the first half, the deepest support striker I've ever seen, inexplicable why he was on the right wing also. Although not as though his positioning has ever not been in question.

The whole thing was baffling - McIndoe on the right, not entirely sure on the left. Allegedly it was to keep Eagles quiet - Not that it worked. We created sod all and I bet Dele will be glad to go somewhere else to get a few decent crosses. What did we learn today - Iriekpen is worth a deal, but without Carey, the defence lacks a leader. Elliott tried hard in midfield, but Skuse and LJ were not great, and McIndoe looked lost - Well he was really! Up front, Maynard and Dele chased scraps. As for the subs, what was the point of any of them? We learned that McCoombe is OK, but a Centre-Back for 10 minutes is hardly a chance. Willimas and Sproule were the same as ever. To be honest, a few youngsters today might just have brightened things up, we looked predictable, lacked any creative spark, and GJ will have learnt nothing new about his players.

Next season, I think that 10th will be a fantastic achievement - There have been a lot of worrying signs the last 12 games.

Apparently you should be more in the know than me - supposedly we were playing a 4-3-3! McIndoe barely got over the half-way line bar the one chance he made in the first half, the deepest support striker I've ever seen, inexplicable why he was on the right wing also. Although not as though his positioning has ever not been in question.

I'm glad I wasn't at Burnley today. The whole 0-4 shambles reminds me of when we lost 1-5 away at Blackpool back in April 2002 under Danny Wilson. 0-4 away at Burnley today was disgraceful, is Gary Johnson Danny Wilson in disguise? Gary Johnson is a great bloke and he seemed to have so much going for him but has seriously messed up this season.

I'm glad I wasn't at Burnley today. The whole 0-4 shambles reminds me of when we lost 1-5 away at Blackpool back in April 2002 under Danny Wilson. 0-4 away at Burnley today was disgraceful, is Gary Johnson Danny Wilson in disguise? Gary Johnson is a great bloke and he seemed to have so much going for him but has seriously messed up this season.

You silly billy RG. Surely you must have been going too heavy on the Apples tonight for your comments make a mockery of your usual sensible approach. GJ has actually added value this season however, has been let down by the inability to get the ball in the onion bag. As with last season we have ended up with a neutral goal diff but, unlike last season, it is luminously clear where we need to improve. Delivery and finish. I would have been more than happy with 20th last season so 10th is just fine for me- about time we embedded ourselves at this level

Serious question. Does GJ pack the midfield to protect his son and why didn't Gavin Williams start.

Can anyone make a case for playing LJ ahead of Gavin Williams. For me Gavin Williams changed our season when in mid season we played him in the middle of the park.

A midfiled of Williams and Elliot or Skuse with Sproule and Mckindo playinf out wide and attacking is surley our best option.

Mckindo and Sproule this season have not got forward because they are being asked to do a job for the team by tucking in anf keeping it tight I accept that times this is the best tactic to use but we have over used it all season.

1. Marlon Jackson

2. Styvar

You forgot to mention the 'INSPIRATIONAL' substition of Mcallister that saw Mcombe come on, and Fontaine go to left back, at 3-0 down ffs.

And I'd add one more - playing Dele

Love the guy, but what happened to the principle that we don't play players who have turned down contract offers and thereby show that they lack commitment to the club? When Bradley did that earlier in the season he was left out, even though we had no natural replacement and suffered as a result.

Why not start with Styvar - for precisely the reasons that you've set out - with Marlon on the bench.

Like you, I'm feeling totally p**sed off with the money and time I wasted yesterday

Serious question. Does GJ pack the midfield to protect his son and why didn't Gavin Williams start.

Can anyone make a case for playing LJ ahead of Gavin Williams. For me Gavin Williams changed our season when in mid season we played him in the middle of the park.

A midfiled of Williams and Elliot or Skuse with Sproule and Mckindo playing out wide and attacking is surley our best option.

Mckindo and Sproule this season have not got forward because they are being asked to do a job for the team by tucking in anf keeping it tight I accept that times this is the best tactic to use but we have over used it all season.

If I can just throw my ten pence in here, I honestly can't make a case for Johnson ahead of Williams. Williams can do this so called link role easily but not only that he retains the possesion and moves the ball foward more quickly and accurately. I would not say that he is at the moment the finished article we need hence why Johnson still gets his consistent starting place.

I would agree with your midfield choice except for McIndoe. Yes I know he does provide assists but can any of us actually remember seeing him provide them? I know we don't really have any other left winger but I think this could be addressed for next season.

And certainly playing tight isnt the best tactic. It can work and it can't. Personally I think that if we are playing with two recognised wingers then they should play as wingers not central midfielders.

I'm sorry to say that it is this use of personel and tatics that meant another afternoon of very few chances for the strikers. De-ja vue, wide men playing tight to support a light weight midfield, each player must punch his own weight if we are to have suffcient outlets / options for attacking football.

We have insuffcient individual talent to afford the luxury of a one dimentional "link player". I hope that the close season brings other ideas and new players.

In view of the last 12 games has Gary J lost the dressing room?

Until Lee J is just another player rated on merit and not given special treatment by his Dad there is bound to be resentment in the dressing room.

Things could get worse if Skuse or Elliott are sold and no midfielders are brought in likely to challange Lee we could carry on next season as we finished this.

At least we would play the Rovers!!

1. Marlon Jackson

2. Styvar

Gary Johnsons crazy decision making started at Wembley and has continued throughout this season. At Wembley, he takes off a creative player and puts the best central midfielder at right back, the rest is history.

This season has seen more crazy decision making. Paying Stern John a fortune and not playing him (not that he is worth a place). Paying a fortune for Styvar and not playing him (not that he is worth a place. Perhaps next season). Playing McCombe up front, when there is quality on the bench or in the stands. The craziest one of all is having an ever present in central midfield.

Guest bigcheese

"Dele Adebola raced clear down the left and crossed for Maynard"

"Ivan Sproule came on for Michael McIndoe"

The two wingers have a fair pace why do they never want to beat

their man and cross, they always seem to go inside and overcomplicate

things & end up with a counterattack or a pass back to Orr etc??

And too many times they seem to give up and just lump it up to poor Dele

as said above bypassing midfield?? :disapointed2se:

"Dele Adebola raced clear down the left and crossed for Maynard"

"Ivan Sproule came on for Michael McIndoe"

The two wingers have a fair pace why do they never want to beat

their man and cross, they always seem to go inside and overcomplicate

things & end up with a counterattack or a pass back to Orr etc??

And too many times they seem to give up and just lump it up to poor Dele

as said above bypassing midfield?? :disapointed2se:

I said this on another thread,

A friend of mine saw Mcndoe and he kind of had a go at him asking him why he always plays so tight and narrow and he replied that he was under instructions to do so.So if hes under instructions to keep cutting in then you cant blame the player for not putting the crosses in.

To be honest I think we have all seen that this team plays way to narrow,especially at home.In my opinion it doesnt matter what players we bring him,we need to change our stlye of play.By this i mean 2 wingers flying up the flanks putting crosses,like wolves.So no matter what players we will bring in we will struggle unless we change our style of play.Yes we finished 10th which is good but 0 goal differance.

As we were playing a 4-4-2, Johnson decided it necessary to play three central midfielders.

The only way to accomodate all midfielders available. Styvar is entitled to run out, I cant understand why the club pay £400.000 for a player that has no input or part to play throughout the season. Also the team was crying out for a midfielder at Xmas. GJ did not even look. Again would this of upset the midfielders available.When Marvin was out injured Skuuuuse was playing out of his skin. as soon as Marvin recovered he moved CS to right full back then left full back. was this to accomodate the midfielders he has available. GJ we need midfielders a new CB and strikers. Interesting to see what happens during the break will he just get players to accomodate the present midfield?/

Marlon Jackson got injured and was unable to be on the bench (per club site) :city:

He was returning from an injury. Given how protective physios are of players' fitness when returning, he was fit enough to complete a full warm-up but not enough to be even on the bench.

And if he's not fit enough, it begs the question as to why another youth player wasn't given the opportunity to prove themself, given how nothing was riding on the game.

Archived