IGNORED

We Think We've Had Some Crap Referees At Ashton Gate....

Mr Mosquito

How can you say the guy at the end couldn't do anything about the ball hitting his hand. He has jumped to try and block the ball, and his arm which is extended out from his body is part of that blocking motion. The ball has struck him on the arm. The ref was about six feet away in full view.

If his arm was flat against his midriff or something then clearly there is no intent, and nothing he can do. But for me that is a nailed on penalty, and a disgusting decision not to give it.

I also feel that Ballacks appeal to the ref is completely justified, because I believe that a ref needs to know how bad a decision he made - that was disgraceful, and the sort of ineptitude you expect on a Sunday morning, not in a Champions league semi - final.

The problem was he does not ref in England and unlike English ref was not going to give a penalty when players go down like they been pole axed.

Its good to see a ref not falling for it,I have got a job to watch M O D or Sky with the blatant cheating of falling over with the slightest touch,its a part of the English game that needs to be stamped out.

You got to give Barcelona some credit after getting a player sent off,its good for football that teams do not denominate competitions.

As City found out many times this season you need more than one goal to win matches.

Good shout. The constant diving and screaming will kill this game unless someone stamps it out. I played in an era when you wouldn't dream of letting an opponent know that you were hurt. Which leads on to why we are constantly moaning about referees - these days virtually all footballers and managers are one-eyed cheats looking to con referees into making a decision in their favour. It's little wonder refs have no clue about whether a proper foul has been committed when a player (at the peak of his physical fitness) rolls around screaming holding his face after an opponents hand has merely "brushed" his chest. Every decision made against a player is now greeted with a theatrical gesture of incredulity followed the shaking head and lately the wagging finger.

Pundits are as bad and should know better - Andy Gray "There WAS contact" It's a contact sport you idiot! Go and watch netball if you want.

Anyone old enough to remember Kent Walton and Wrestling on ITV on a Saturday afternoon? Alas the so-called beautiful game will go the same way unless a bit of honesty is brought back.

Grrrr :angry:

Good shout. The constant diving and screaming will kill this game unless someone stamps it out. I played in an era when you wouldn't dream of letting an opponent know that you were hurt. Which leads on to why we are constantly moaning about referees - these days virtually all footballers and managers are one-eyed cheats looking to con referees into making a decision in their favour. It's little wonder refs have no clue about whether a proper foul has been committed when a player (at the peak of his physical fitness) rolls around screaming holding his face after an opponents hand has merely "brushed" his chest. Every decision made against a player is now greeted with a theatrical gesture of incredulity followed the shaking head and lately the wagging finger.

Pundits are as bad and should know better - Andy Gray "There WAS contact" It's a contact sport you idiot! Go and watch netball if you want.

Anyone old enough to remember Kent Walton and Wrestling on ITV on a Saturday afternoon? Alas the so-called beautiful game will go the same way unless a bit of honesty is brought back.

Grrrr :angry:

Well said. When I chat about football to people who don't like the game, they'll often say footballers are wimps who are always falling all over the place. I cant really argue with that to be fair.

I thought only one could of been given as a penalty which was the tangle between Alves and Malouda. And even then we've seen them go both ways over the years. The decision that is...

The Drogba one was never a penalty. How a slight tug on the shirt made his legs give way I don't know.

Pique's hand ball, from the camera view i saw, had no intention or movement towards the ball, but we've seen them given too.

Ballacks one was never ever going to be given. Papaers have just bigged that up to make it sound like the ref conned chelsea more.

Ballack chasing the ref up the pitch made me laugh though.

WOW!

This has thrown up so many debates. The ref was appaling, and I believe two of the penalities were 'clear cut'. The handball from pique was 100%, you cannot move the ball with your hands/arm in that position and not expect to give away a penalty. The foul on malouda was also clearly a penalty. The handball at the end, I wouldnt have said so, nothing he could have done about it, and it was blasted at him whilst he was jumping, that said I have seen them given. The foul on drogpoo was not a penalty.

I'm not sure I believe there to be any conspiracy behind it, despite FIFA's clear dislike of english clubs. Regardless, it was an awfull decision to have a Norwegian ref, who is not used to such high pressure games, in charge of this game. Yes, I believe he has taken charge of four CL games this season, but it is four, NOT 24/34, and they were NOT semi finals between two of four or five VERY closely matched teams who were potential champions with high fan expectations. He bottled it, and simply did not have the stomach to make the right choices in the 'pressure' situations. I don't think he was corrupt, just not good enough/experienced enough to handle that game, and that also goes for his red card decision on abidal.

As for the players reactions at the end, I really cannot blame them. I am all for respect of referees and officials, BUT in my opinion it works both ways. The officials should have to earn that respect, and with the way they are protected at the moment it makes it very hard for them to do that. They appear to be unaccountable for their mistakes, they do not answer to the teams who have payed the price for their decisions and rarely admit they have got things wrong, very wrong. The majority of the time, the players over reactions are uncalled for and should be dealt with accordingly, yet last night I think was an exception, and whilst it doesnt excuse it, I can understand why it happened. It meant an awfull lot to those players, and in some ways as a fan I would be somewhat dissapointed if their reaction had been one of muted indifference. We constantly ask our players for passion and to wear their shirt with pride, well last night their pride was dented, unfairly, and their passion boiled over. Yes they are proffessionals, but they are also human beings. They lack of proffesionalism last night did not cause too much trouble did it? No one got hurt did they? Should they even be role models? They are footballers, NOT Police Officers, Soldiers or teachers.

After watching last night's match my dislike for Chelsea has been taken to another level. I absolutely loathe that team and everything they stand for. Yes, they should have won last night and were definitely denied two legitimate penalty claims. Barcelona were very poor and not for the first time an over-hyped European team comes to England and is made to look ordinary.

But....the behaviour and conduct of players like Ballack, and especially Drogba, for me represent all that is toxic about modern day football. Drogba is an utter disgrace and should be thoroughly embarrassed to call himself a "professional" footballer. Edson, you're spot on. Nothing like a bit of poetic justice when a cheat becomes a victim of his own deceit.

Watching him moan, feign injury, roll around in the penalty area, and dive, makes you wonder whether you are actually watching a grown man or a 5 year old. I would have sent him off for this pathetic display (which he managed for every minute he was on the pitch, and does so in every game he plays) alone.

The diving, simulation, play-acting, whatever we call it, is just awful. I don't care how bad a refereeing decision is, players must be told they have to respect it.

In this respect, football is stuck in the dark ages in its refusal to use technology for major decisions. It's used in Cricket, Rugby, even Tennis for godsake. I'd have a referral system for decisions such as: did the ball cross the line? is it a penalty? should someone be sent off? Who cares about the extra few minutes this would add to games.

But, all of this aside. The conduct of so many top flight footballers is what makes football so unattractive a sport to outsiders, and even those who love the game.

Thank god players behave with a little more dignity in the lower leagues. Yes, there are occasions where you see "Drogbas" in the Championship and League One, but in my experience this is far more rare.

My main point is that Drogba, Ballack and the sodding England Captain, "JT," should be told that any ill discipline immediately warrants a yellow or even red card.

I found myself at the end of the game screaming and swearing at the screen in a pub in Totterdown, just wanting someone to put Drogba in a darkened room and leave him there for a few hours/days/months, until he learns to treat football and its supporters with a little bit more respect. So, "red man dan", I couldn't disagree with you more. Passion is one thing, treating officials with contempt is quite another. If I ever saw one of our players behave like that I'd be the first to criticise.

WOW!

This has thrown up so many debates. The ref was appaling, and I believe two of the penalities were 'clear cut'. The handball from pique was 100%, you cannot move the ball with your hands/arm in that position and not expect to give away a penalty. The foul on malouda was also clearly a penalty. The handball at the end, I wouldnt have said so, nothing he could have done about it, and it was blasted at him whilst he was jumping, that said I have seen them given. The foul on drogpoo was not a penalty.

I'm not sure I believe there to be any conspiracy behind it, despite FIFA's clear dislike of english clubs. Regardless, it was an awfull decision to have a Norwegian ref, who is not used to such high pressure games, in charge of this game. Yes, I believe he has taken charge of four CL games this season, but it is four, NOT 24/34, and they were NOT semi finals between two of four or five VERY closely matched teams who were potential champions with high fan expectations. He bottled it, and simply did not have the stomach to make the right choices in the 'pressure' situations. I don't think he was corrupt, just not good enough/experienced enough to handle that game, and that also goes for his red card decision on abidal.

As for the players reactions at the end, I really cannot blame them. I am all for respect of referees and officials, BUT in my opinion it works both ways. The officials should have to earn that respect, and with the way they are protected at the moment it makes it very hard for them to do that. They appear to be unaccountable for their mistakes, they do not answer to the teams who have payed the price for their decisions and rarely admit they have got things wrong, very wrong. The majority of the time, the players over reactions are uncalled for and should be dealt with accordingly, yet last night I think was an exception, and whilst it doesnt excuse it, I can understand why it happened. It meant an awfull lot to those players, and in some ways as a fan I would be somewhat dissapointed if their reaction had been one of muted indifference. We constantly ask our players for passion and to wear their shirt with pride, well last night their pride was dented, unfairly, and their passion boiled over. Yes they are proffessionals, but they are also human beings. They lack of proffesionalism last night did not cause too much trouble did it? No one got hurt did they? Should they even be role models? They are footballers, NOT Police Officers, Soldiers or teachers.

How many kids do you see with the names of police officers, soldiers or teachers on the back of their shirts?

Whether they want to be or not, footballers are role models for lots of children.

Was last night's reaction an acceptable way to conduct oneself on a football pitch? If a child I coach replicates Drogba or Ballack's reaction in a game, should I stand by and say, "Well, I can't really blame them."?

I don't think I should. The simple fact is, Ballack and Drogba should have been sent off for their conduct. Yes, the referee was poor on occasion and got some big decisions wrong, but there is absolutely no excuse for physically intimidating an official, and anyone who does should face a lengthy ban. Why they don't is completely beyond me.

Referees shouldn't have to earn respect at all. I don't even understand how that works. I'd never seen that referee before last night, does that mean I should have no respect for him, but slowly allow it to build as he makes decisions I agree with, then remove some of that respect when things go against me?

The referee should be respected by all the players, because he's the referee and anyone who's ever refereed at any level would, I'd like to think, say the same thing. You make decisions you feel are right, but you get some wrong. So long as you do it honestly, what more can people ask of you?

As I say to the players before a game when I referee, "I'm going to be your referee today. Unfortunately, I will probably make some mistakes, but so will you, and none of us will do it on purpose. So if you don't have a go at me about mine, I won't mention yours."

Edson,

I am not saying it is right, as i say, the bad decisions are NOT an excuse to react or respond as the Chelsea players did. All I am saying is that I understand it. How people can expect 'no reaction' after so much effort and dedication over a whole season only for it to be cut short by simply appaling refereeing desisions is beyond me. I do not condone what they did, i expect they will be and believe it is right that they will be punished for it, however i do not believe they deserve the level of condemnation and public scorning that they have recieved from individuals who i am sure are far from perfect themselves.

As for respecting the ref, do you think he would have recieved this abuse if he had not had such an appaling game? One or two little mistakes here or there, or even one 'major' mistake is acceptable and it happens alot, however last was beyond that, he made 3 'major' mistakes, including the abidal red card. Why should that earn respect, it was a dispicable performance, would you earn respect in your job if you did it so incredibly badly? Referee's are respected in rugby because they 'talk' to the players, they explain their decisions and converse as adults with the players, they also have the help of video replays for major decisions. In football refs simply stand tall and arrogantly wave away players without any intention of explaining their actions to calm down a situation, I don't see why this approach is required or helpful. A more approachable ref, confident in his actions who therefore has the ability to explain them, would incur far more respect from players than those who simpy adopt the 'I'm the ref, i am right' approach. The job is hard, i accept that, and I truely believe it is time, and has been for a long time, that video replays are needed. This will take a heap of pressure off the referee and would all but eliminate the scenes we saw last night. I also believe refs should be accountable to the clubs/fans and players of the teams they referee, essentially they are the customers. Why is it, that referees in pro football are so protected? I would imagine this only adds insult to injury for the players, the chelsea players knew last night the ref would not be seen to appoligise for his awfull performance, and that he would only get the full backing of all the organisations. I know they get marked and can be put down leagues etc etc, but there is no discourse with the clubs involved as far as i am aware. I do believe refs should be respected when they are at level that deserves it, I believe their approach to players could largely help in this situation as could the way they are dealt with when they perform poorly.

"We never comment on the performance of the referee," added the Uefa spokesman.

Completelly typical, the ref will NEVER get publicly cited for his poor performance. But of course, the players will. How is that a level playing field? The chelsea players will not have at any point an acceptance from the ref or any governing body that the ref played a major part in their going out of the competition. Whilst it doesnt make any difference to the outcome, it would take away a little bit of the frustration, but as i have said at the end of the game last night the players knew they were never going to get this and his part in them being knocked out would never be formaly acknowledged.

How many kids do you see with the names of police officers, soldiers or teachers on the back of their shirts?

Whether they want to be or not, footballers are role models for lots of children.

I've got a world famous English soldier and statesman as my current avatar image. :winner_third_h4h:

One of the problems at this club is that we don't really have a true star player for our kids to idolize. In the 1970's we had Gerry Gow, John Galley, Norman Hunter and Paul Cheesley that my generation idolized. Perhaps our club should go out and buy a real star player to do the business on the pitch and encourage shirt sales. :whistle2:

The ref was s**t but also made a very rash decsion is sending off adadal,

Chelsea should have had atleast 2 pens, but I'm happy to see Barcalona in the final just purely because the way they play, its a joy to watch.

what a plank drogba is thought leaves the pitch hardly being able to walk then as soon as the final wistle goes is running everywhere after the ref, a disgrace. He's 15+ Stone and dives at every oppitunity, that last minute made me laugh purely becuase Drogba isnt in the final.

Edson,

I am not saying it is right, as i say, the bad decisions are NOT an excuse to react or respond as the Chelsea players did. All I am saying is that I understand it. How people can expect 'no reaction' after so much effort and dedication over a whole season only for it to be cut short by simply appaling refereeing desisions is beyond me. I do not condone what they did, i expect they will be and believe it is right that they will be punished for it, however i do not believe they deserve the level of condemnation and public scorning that they have recieved from individuals who i am sure are far from perfect themselves.

As for respecting the ref, do you think he would have recieved this abuse if he had not had such an appaling game? One or two little mistakes here or there, or even one 'major' mistake is acceptable and it happens alot, however last was beyond that, he made 3 'major' mistakes, including the abidal red card. Why should that earn respect, it was a dispicable performance, would you earn respect in your job if you did it so incredibly badly? Referee's are respected in rugby because they 'talk' to the players, they explain their decisions and converse as adults with the players, they also have the help of video replays for major decisions. In football refs simply stand tall and arrogantly wave away players without any intention of explaining their actions to calm down a situation, I don't see why this approach is required or helpful. A more approachable ref, confident in his actions who therefore has the ability to explain them, would incur far more respect from players than those who simpy adopt the 'I'm the ref, i am right' approach. The job is hard, i accept that, and I truely believe it is time, and has been for a long time, that video replays are needed. This will take a heap of pressure off the referee and would all but eliminate the scenes we saw last night. I also believe refs should be accountable to the clubs/fans and players of the teams they referee, essentially they are the customers. Why is it, that referees in pro football are so protected? I would imagine this only adds insult to injury for the players, the chelsea players knew last night the ref would not be seen to appoligise for his awfull performance, and that he would only get the full backing of all the organisations. I know they get marked and can be put down leagues etc etc, but there is no discourse with the clubs involved as far as i am aware. I do believe refs should be respected when they are at level that deserves it, I believe their approach to players could largely help in this situation as could the way they are dealt with when they perform poorly.

Completelly typical, the ref will NEVER get publicly cited for his poor performance. But of course, the players will. How is that a level playing field? The chelsea players will not have at any point an acceptance from the ref or any governing body that the ref played a major part in their going out of the competition. Whilst it doesnt make any difference to the outcome, it would take away a little bit of the frustration, but as i have said at the end of the game last night the players knew they were never going to get this and his part in them being knocked out would never be formaly acknowledged.

I agree about communicating with the players. However, that isn't easy when they're in your face screaming abuse - something you never see rugby players do to officials, as you say.

Until referees start sending players off for abuse like that, it will always be so. Personally, I wouldn't stand for it, and I have no idea how or why any official tolerates it.

Perhaps if Mr Drogba hadn't been such a complete tool throughout the game, trying to con the referee and 'buy' decisions, the ref may well have been more inclined to be sympathetic in 50/50 situations. How Drogba can claim any injustice, when he is quite willing to cheat his way to victory, is completely beyond me.

There was no need for a reaction last night, just as there wasn't one from Guus Hiddink. He passed comment on the officiating when asked, but kept his cool, showed respect and was dignified. That is how a sportsman should react, not by stamping his feet, and trying to physically intimidate someone who is doing a very difficult job and has made an honest mistake.

I'd encourage anyone to take up refereeing and give it a go. See how many times you get everyone at the game saying "Well, I think you got everything 100% spot on there". You give what you see, and do it honestly. That is all anyone can do. To try and blame the entire season being cut short on one handball decision is completely unfair, and only underlines why so many good referees give it up as a bad job, rather than bother tolerating that level of scrutiny and abuse.

Of the decisions - The Malouda contact began outside the area. It could well be that he was playing an advantage until none came. The Abidal sending off was as a result of Anelka cheating with an over dramaric dive, and the handball was at an angle where the assistant would have been better placed to give it.

Edson,

Referees are respected and treated like fellow human beings in rugby because rugby is played by people with manners who know how to show courtesy and respect to officialdom, even though their sport is far more physical and aggressive. Too many footballers behave like louts who wouldn't look out of place in a bar brawl down any city centre on a Fri/Sat night.

I do agree with you though that referees should be made to explain the big decisions they make. But, they need help from technology, and they need players and managers and pundits to stop always using them as a convenient scapegoat.

I would follow the lead of rugby (again) and only allow the captains of each side to approach the referee about a decision. The scene of Ballack running after the referee was truly disgraceful, but not in any way surprising. I'd ban people like him and Drogba for several matches.

A couple of players show some aggression and passion about being unfairly knocked out, so what.

Its footy, its a passionate sport. I think Hiddink's post match interview was excellent, he defends his players actions.

Oh no kids might be watching, big deal. When there is alot at stake those reactions are justified, and I wouldnt expect any less from Orr or McIndoe in a playoff semi against Cardiff for example should the same injustice fall on us.

A couple of players show some aggression and passion about being unfairly knocked out, so what.

Its footy, its a passionate sport. I think Hiddink's post match interview was excellent, he defends his players actions.

Oh no kids might be watching, big deal. When there is alot at stake those reactions are justified, and I wouldnt expect any less from Orr or McIndoe in a playoff semi against Cardiff for example should the same injustice fall on us.

I think it's sad you think this. And then children playing football on a weekend do the same; they swear and feign injury and abuse the referees, aided on from the sidelines by their dads. What about showing respect to people doing an incredibly difficult job.

I'd like to think/hope that none of our players would behave in such a way. And if they did, Johnson would discipline them for it.

I agree about communicating with the players. However, that isn't easy when they're in your face screaming abuse - something you never see rugby players do to officials, as you say.

Until referees start sending players off for abuse like that, it will always be so. Personally, I wouldn't stand for it, and I have no idea how or why any official tolerates it.

Perhaps if Mr Drogba hadn't been such a complete tool throughout the game, trying to con the referee and 'buy' decisions, the ref may well have been more inclined to be sympathetic in 50/50 situations. How Drogba can claim any injustice, when he is quite willing to cheat his way to victory, is completely beyond me.

There was no need for a reaction last night, just as there wasn't one from Guus Hiddink. He passed comment on the officiating when asked, but kept his cool, showed respect and was dignified. That is how a sportsman should react, not by stamping his feet, and trying to physically intimidate someone who is doing a very difficult job and has made an honest mistake.

I'd encourage anyone to take up refereeing and give it a go. See how many times you get everyone at the game saying "Well, I think you got everything 100% spot on there". You give what you see, and do it honestly. That is all anyone can do. To try and blame the entire season being cut short on one handball decision is completely unfair, and only underlines why so many good referees give it up as a bad job, rather than bother tolerating that level of scrutiny and abuse.

Of the decisions - The Malouda contact began outside the area. It could well be that he was playing an advantage until none came. The Abidal sending off was as a result of Anelka cheating with an over dramaric dive, and the handball was at an angle where the assistant would have been better placed to give it.

I do agree on the whole, and i do agree that players should be sent off for the abuse they give referee's. The swearing and shouting at them is unacceptable, the likes of ashley cole during games is a terrible image. Please don't get what i have said above mixed up with my overall feeling on this general situation. All i was saying with regards to last night is that i can understand how and why it happened, and that really it was an excpetional situation, given that it was such a high class, high pressure game, coupled with a referring performance seldom seen at that level.

Refs are never going to get everything correct, this is fine. This is where they need to have some help from the technology that is available. There should be no expectation that refs can and will see everything. If they can quickly refer a decision to a video ref, this would eliminate alot of the bad decisions that they make and give them the help they need when reffing at this level of speed. The players, i agree play their part. The diving issue is a stain on the game, i hate it, and this again makes it harder for refs to make the correct decision. Again like in rugby, I believe players should be cited for diving after games and punished with yellow cards(possibly reds) after the event. Would the likes of Drogpoo cheat face have been 'looking' for penalties last night and diving if he knew that he could have been carded after the game and would miss the final? I doubt he would have been. We have a 'dubious goals' pannel to make decsions and look at goals(that don't really matter), why not have it for diving, that actually makes a difference. I think this could largely elimate cheating/diving in the game and would again make decsions easiar for the ref as he would not have to be calculating whether or not he has been fooled or not.

The communication ahould be there, and i agree it couldn't be done if players are in your face, and quite rightly it shouldn't be done if that is how players are 'communicating' with you. However, as it stands, refs do not communicate in the way that they do in Rugby, and that in itself is possibly largely responcible for why players feel the need to be heated, as they never get answers provoking anger. UEFA could put all of this into place to help the game improve, and i believe the respect would come with it, for both the clubs/players and the refs themselves.

I don't really care about Chelsea, if (like City) they had played better last night and taken their chances, if they conceded a last minute goal it wouldnt have mattered. If Drogba spent less time throwing himself on the floor, and instead, had burried the 2 gilt edged chances he missed over the 2 games then it wouldnt have mattered anyway. My personal opinion is that the pique handball was a penalty, it wasnt intentional, but his hand was out and the ball hit it, but they are just miserable cause they got beaten. The next time I see a chelsea game and the OPTA stats show every shot on target was a goal, there are no shots off target, and every player has a 100% pass completion rate then they can expect perfection from the ref.

The ref was s**t but also made a very rash decsion is sending off adadal,

Chelsea should have had atleast 2 pens, but I'm happy to see Barcalona in the final just purely because the way they play, its a joy to watch.

what a plank drogba is thought leaves the pitch hardly being able to walk then as soon as the final wistle goes is running everywhere after the ref, a disgrace. He's 15+ Stone and dives at every oppitunity, that last minute made me laugh purely becuase Drogba isnt in the final.

The Chelsea penalty and refereeing debate even surfaced on the BBC kids programme 'Newsround' this afternoon. Seems as if the whole country's been talking about that crap referee. :rolleyes:

As for Drogba, he's a superstar as far as I'm concerned and I dream of seeing a player of his calibre and showmanship in a Bristol City FC shirt.

The Chelsea penalty and refereeing debate even surfaced on the BBC kids programme 'Newsround' this afternoon. Seems as if the whole country's been talking about that crap referee. :rolleyes:

Nope, the whole country has been lapping up the opportunity to have a good laugh at Chelsea's expense. Thank **** for inept Norwegian referees!

The Chelsea players spent much of the game trying to cheat the ref., and then complained that he made mistakes! Some referees fall for the cheating, but others become determined not to be conned, so err on the side of caution. Perhaps if the cheats stayed on their feet it might actually help the team. As for Ballack, I would have issued a straight red card, and as far as I'm concerned, both him and Drogba can just ###### off out of English football, as they are both an absolute disgrace to the game.

I watched the Conference Play-Offs at the weekend, and whilst the quality of football was not exactly brilliant, they were far more enjoyable games to watch - And the Histon (I think) left-back who got sent off unfairly did not resort to OTT histrionics.

I won't watch the Euro Greed Final, but will definitely be rooting for Torquay.

I think it's sad you think this. And then children playing football on a weekend do the same; they swear and feign injury and abuse the referees, aided on from the sidelines by their dads. What about showing respect to people doing an incredibly difficult job.

I'd like to think/hope that none of our players would behave in such a way. And if they did, Johnson would discipline them for it.

It makes me laugh that Egg chasers are constantly critisising footballers for their actions but most of them seem to think its fair game to stamp, punch, gauge etc just because its a "mans game" Is this also acceptable for children to see as it happens every week but we hear ###### all about it because its not footballers doing it.

Its just my interpretation of how I want the game played. I don't expect others to agree.

I would want my players fighting for the cause, not concerned about children watching. Kids can watch all manner of things on TV, if they copy it and its a negative behaviour then thats the parents problem to sort out.

Respect works both ways as with most things.

Hiddink's crap tactics prevented a team who've scored well over 100 goals this season from finding the net in 180 minutes of football!

Hiddink got it spot on and Chelsea had the best 2 or 3 opportunities of the match when Barca went down to ten-men, yet either their final ball or shot let them down.

HIddink's tactics were like those of a plucky underdog tryinbg to stifle the big boys in the FA Cup. With the multi-million pound squad at his disposal, you would have thought they might have come up with something better than, pack the defence and then hit them with a long ball over the top.

I would love to have seen the reaction on this forum if GJ had decided to hold on to a one goal lead against 10 men and taken of a striker for a defensive midfield player with 20 minutes to go.

As for Drogba, he's a superstar as far as I'm concerned and I dream of seeing a player of his calibre and showmanship in a Bristol City FC shirt.

To be fair, after they way they behaved last night, the BBC probably thought that was the news programme the pair of them were most likely to be watching.

Firstly the penalties. I thought they should have def had 1(the pique handball) and i am not convinced the handball shout at the end wasnt a pen. I have always gone by the rule that if your hands are above your head and the ball hits it then its handball. They shouldnt be up there! If they were not up there the ball would have gone past Eto! Regardless of how hard it was hit at him or whether he was defending himself his hands shouldnt be up that high IMO!

What really incensed me though was Drogba! He has done for years now! Everytime he plays its the same thing! Play acting! Diving! feigning injury!(something which bit him on the arse last night IMO by the way. He wasnt injured. You could see that in his face when he was taken off! His so say injury never stopped him charging on the pitch at the end did it! He didnt seem to be limping then!)

In the last year we have seen him sent off in the champions league final, the incident with the Burnley fans, the rolling back onto the pitch to waste time after being off of it, and now last night! And those are only a few!

Somebody said earlier in this thread about role models. Anyone who thinks footballers arent role models now is wrong! You only have to look at any kids football team in the land to see that. Shirts with their heroes names on! Kids pretending to be Ronaldo or Gerrard etc! Copying what they do! I was sat with my 7 year old daughter who i let stay up to watch the game because she loves football and has a season ticket for the first time next season! How do i explain what happened at the end? How do i justify a player swearing like that at the camera! Do i tell her its just passion do i! Do i say that this guy who is payed god knows how many thousands a week hasnt got the self disipline to control himself without subjecting her to foul language. I understand she will hear bad language. I accept that she will hear it at football. Its not the words i object to its the manor and person who subjected her to it that annoys me!

But what really really gets me more than anything else about Drogba's latest lack of self control is that this is a guy who just over a month ago took part in a football match where 22 people died! DIED! Thats a pretty life changing situation to be present at! I am guessing that anyone who was there that day would have been pretty dam affected by what happened and would probably have put a lot of things into perspective!

I am bl00dy sure it would have changed the way i look at life!!!!

And yet a month later this guy is acting as though losing out on a champions league final because they didnt get a couple of penalties is the end of the world!

Call it passion if you like! I call it a discraceful display by a pathetic excuse of a man!!!!

Supposedly refs are overprotected and can do no wrong. I completely disagree. Today EVERY major decision a ref makes is analysed by slow motion replay from multiple angles, usually culminating in the pundits saying "I can't believe he didn't give that"... after a couple of minutes of analysis.

When you're out there though, you see an incident once in real time. And not always from the best angle. And sometimes, due to the fact you're policing 22 players, watching out for offsides, fouls off the ball, players winding each other up etc., you make the heinous crime of not looking in the direction the incident happened. But hey, 40,000 people and the cameras all saw it...... Like a goalkeeper, any mistake you make is often magnified.

Fact is, I'm sure I'll be shouted down for this but I honestly believe that no-one should criticise a ref without trying it out. It doesn't mean you won't ever criticise them, it doesn't mean that at a game you won't get a little hostile towards them, but it does mean that unlike the pundits you will occasionally realise why you might not make a correct call.

As for Chelski, they reap what they sow. They try to con refs all the time and didn't kill a game after 180 minutes of football. Drogba is a tit and watching him last night sums up everything I hate about him. I notice he 'apologised' by releasing a statement through Chelsea's website, but an apology is never valid until you try to deliver it directly.

And back to refs supposedly being overprotected, numerous times this season a ref has publicly apologised to a club after re-watching a decision they have made (and unlike Drogba, often write to the club or call them as well)

Shrewsbury did not get a couple of crucial decisions tonight, but they seemed to accept it. It was nice to watch a game played very competitively, but free of diving, feigning injury and petty petulance.. And a cracking own goal.

Compare the reaction of Drogba (who is in no position to moralise about cheating), Ballack & co to that of Darren Fletcher after he got a shocker of a decision the night before. No histrionics, accusations of cheating etc, just walked off despite now missing what would have been the biggest game of his life.

Only one of those was a definate penalty, which was the Pique handball (he looked guilty as sin immediately afterwards) and the worst decision of the lot was the Abidal red card. The referee's nationality had nothing to do with it, there are plenty of "top-level" English refs who are just as bad.

Chelsea are one of those clubs who should never be allowed anywhere near winning a Champions League. I always feel the winners of such a competiition should have a touch of class and dignity about them (not to mention history & tradition). Chelsea have the likes of Drogba, Ashley Cole, Ballack & Terry (whose condoning of Drogba's behaviour is not the sort of thing to be expected from an England Captain) who possess neither of these traits.

Archived