IGNORED

Well Done Burnley

riddlesdown red

Having watched them at Chelsea and when they beat us 4 nil and numerous times on the box they deserve to have gone up at the same time it brought loads of unhappy memories back of 12 months ago and know how gutted the fans of Sheff Utd will be. I hope GJ will takes note that they had one of the smallest squads but it was packed fully of quality players especially in midfield and upfront and thry were dogged in defence. I have now idea where GJ is sourcing his new players from this year but lets hope he asks for a second opinion from someone other than his brother

Having watched them at Chelsea and when they beat us 4 nil and numerous times on the box they deserve to have gone up at the same time it brought loads of unhappy memories back of 12 months ago and know how gutted the fans of Sheff Utd will be. I hope GJ will takes note that they had one of the smallest squads but it was packed fully of quality players especially in midfield and upfront and thry were dogged in defence. I have now idea where GJ is sourcing his new players from this year but lets hope he asks for a second opinion from someone other than his brother

A fair summary, Burnley had pace on the break and a good deal of flair in midfield, something Sheff Utd severely lacked.

Sheffield just looked a slightly better team than us, a lot of hoofball once their wingers like Cotterill kept hitting a brick wall.

Well done Burnley, be interesting to see how much they change over the summer months.

Well deserved. Great to see a real football club succeed and one that tries to play the right way, as opposed to the increasingly ugly Sheff Utd and their wannabe Neil Warnock (attacking the referee before the game!). One up for the good guys. :winner_third_h4h:

Yes - well done Burnley. A proper old-school football club.

Again another team from the west side of the Pennines in the Premier League, that makes 9: Man U, Man C, Everton, Liverpool, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton, Stoke and now Burnley. What are they putting in the water up there?? The footballing peoples republic of Yorkshire must be right pi$$ed off...

Yes - well done Burnley. A proper old-school football club.

Again another team from the west side of the Pennines in the Premier League, that makes 9: Man U, Man C, Everton, Liverpool, Wigan, Blackburn, Bolton, Stoke and now Burnley. What are they putting in the water up there?? The footballing peoples republic of Yorkshire must be right pi$$ed off...

You sure about Stoke? Didn't think they were anywhere near the Pennines but happy to be proved wrong.

A fair summary, Burnley had pace on the break and a good deal of flair in midfield, something Sheff Utd severely lacked.

Sheffield just looked a slightly better team than us, a lot of hoofball once their wingers like Cotterill kept hitting a brick wall.

Well done Burnley, be interesting to see how much they change over the summer months.

Does the bloke in your video ever get up ?

I have now idea where GJ is sourcing his new players from this year but lets hope he asks for a second opinion from someone other than his brother

Excellent point r r.

Listening to 5live earlier and Mark Lawrenson was saying what a crucial role this was in any club, quoting Wigan as a shining example of the art.

Money spent on good scouting (not Bear Grylls) is better than money in the bank.

Now, you imply Pete Johnson is Gary Johnsons only source of new players but this cannot be correct, can it?

If he has been too loyal to 'this group of players', then surely Pete Johnson is Bullet Proof.

Now, you imply Pete Johnson is Gary Johnsons only source of new players but this cannot be correct, can it?

If he has been too loyal to 'this group of players', then surely Pete Johnson is Bullet Proof.

PJ's record is mixed at best, and rather like LJ no matter what happens he ain't going anytime soon.

Some dodgy signings in Trundle Sproule Styvar Carle but

Akinde looks a good find and of course he recommended Marv and Basso

Against that we clearly paid over the odds (meaning we rated them higher than they actually were) for Trundle Styvar and possibly Maynard and Sproule.

Comparing that to Burnley they've unearthed

Duff from Cheltenham £30K

Alexander - Preston £100K

Paterson - Scunny £1M

Thompson - Cardiff free

Elliot - Bournemouth free

Carlisle - Watford £200K

Caldwell - S'land £400K

Blake - Leeds £200K

The only big buys were Eagles at £1.2M and Patterson £1M - the whole team cost under £3m

Wheras we have spent quite big - even for a CC side - with £5M on Trundle/Sproule/Maynard/Styvar/McIndoe and most of us on here would say we still need about 4 first teamers to challenge for a top 6 place.

It shows how important it is to identify effective championship players and then not pay over the odds for them.

I think transfer policy/scouting is the biggest area that we need to improve on.

CR

Yes, let's just spare a thought that all the players CodeRed mentions have been persuade to sign for Burnley, not Reading, Wolves, Birmingham etc. If they can make themselves attractive they surely so can we?

Also I believe they had the smallest squad in the Championship, so maybe it was more the lure of regular football over big bucks that was so good?

So what did Burnley have that we didn't?

Yes, let's just spare a thought that all the players CodeRed mentions have been persuade to sign for Burnley, not Reading, Wolves, Birmingham etc. If they can make themselves attractive they surely so can we?

Also I believe they had the smallest squad in the Championship, so maybe it was more the lure of regular football over big bucks that was so good?

A manager who knows that, if you wnat to make it to the promised land, you need more then work ethic in your team?

Not that much in my opinion, seeing as we were one game away from doing what they did in 2008.

Where Burnley undoubtedly gained over us was that their side scored more, with goals coming from all areas of the team, though you have to say the very few injuries they suffered in 2008/9 (I bet Elliott and Carey missed more games between them than their entire squad) certainly helped.

They had and played players which could change a game.

We had players like that, but decided not to play them!

• Admin
They had and played players which could change a game.

We had players like that, but decided not to play them!

Quite. Just what Gary was thinking starting the likes of Trundle, Noble, Carle & McIndoe on that day whilst leaving his son on the bench remains a mystery!

Quite. Just what Gary was thinking starting the likes of Trundle, Noble, Carle & McIndoe on that day whilst leaving his son on the bench remains a mystery!

That was one game. Trundle and Noble got us to Wembley I think.

Over this season we drew too many at home , not enough flair, too break teams down, could be

a reason?

Archived