IGNORED

Wedlocks Pub - Gone!

Dollymarie

Went down to AG to pick up the Supporters Trust post just now, and unfortunately discovered the rumours were true, and now the close season is upon us the not so lovely developer who bought the Wedlocks pub has taken it upon himself to start pulling it down in readiness for his plans to develop the place into flats.

Was a very sad sight I have to say, a piece of Bristol City history reduced to rubble in the space of a few days.

Such a shame. :noexpression:

wedlocksgone002.jpg

wedlocksgone003.jpg

wedlocksgone004.jpg

wedlocksgone005.jpg

wedlocksgone006.jpg

wedlocksgone007.jpg

wedlocksgone008.jpg

wedlocksgone009.jpg

wedlocksgone010.jpg

Hopefully the club will call 1 of the bars in the new ground Wedlocks so that the name of the pub can live on.

Think QPR name all of their various bars around Loftus Road after former stars, as remember going in the

Terry Venables Noodles Bar once!!!

Be good if we could come up with some various players names to put to the club so that the bars could all be named too.

How about a guinness bar called Doherty's ???? or a lager lounge named Nobles !!!

Simple fact is, if everyone who is sad to see the place go actually drunk there other then matchdays, it would still be open.

:disapointed2se: Bit far to pop around for a pint from Gloucester, and for most who don't live within walking distance;

Local people worried about local businesses going tits up if Tescos turned up yet didnt save or support this local business - Tesco's fault I presume or is it Sainsbury's?

Not enough local people to support quite a few pubs in the area; only the strong will survive.

Cant see what the fuss is about, time to move on guys, The City ground will be gone soon,

Things change, end of.

YEP nothing stands still; they can take away the Wedlocks pub, Ashton Gate and The Famous East End but they will NEVER take our memories :mafia:

Simple fact is, if everyone who is sad to see the place go actually drunk there other then matchdays, it would still be open.

have to agree,loved it before and after home games

but to far to be a local,

also did a lot for ashton boys fc,

shame but true sign of the times,a business at the end of the day.

This comes as no surprise sadly. Its no coincidence that pubs are shutting every single hour and have been since this nanny state pathetic government decided it knew best and banned smoking. Bloody libo's

All it would have taken is decent ventilation, they manage it in Vegas, people smoke like bastards, but you can't tell as the vent system is so awesome.

i know the old owner very well and as you said brewery and this and that they couldn't keep it running

and had some good times as a boy in there

games like millwall stoke cardiff good times

rip the wedlock

club should get the sign and put it above the wedlock turnstiles or something like that

i remember about 10yrs ago we stayed after the City game til last orders, & about 8pm the place was dead, the barman Stu? he dumped a huge bowl of chilli & 1/2 dozen forks for us to scoff on to keep us drinking in there! he invited us to a private smoking (pot) session upstairs the following tuesday

Also anyone else at one of the Gentlemens's evenings?? what a 'crack' that was!

cracking place 10/15yrs ago, going to miss it,

as a city supporter up here in the midlands, i always loved drinking in there before and after the game and am very sad to see that a brewery have shut yet another pub. Agree we should hunt down the person that doubled the rent. shame to see wedlocks how it looks right now in those photos but as has been stated they cant take our memories..

Sad to see it go but really the building had become in such a bad state it wouldn't have been feesable to really 'revive it' - add to that it was being vandalised and used as a drugs den of late. I kept coming to work expecting to see it burnt to the ground sooner or later. I'm sure the people living in the houses adjoining it are please to see it go.

This comes as no surprise sadly. Its no coincidence that pubs are shutting every single hour and have been since this nanny state pathetic government decided it knew best and banned smoking. Bloody libo's

All it would have taken is decent ventilation, they manage it in Vegas, people smoke like bastards, but you can't tell as the vent system is so awesome.

I still beleive that is a load of rubbish, i cant think of a single person who has gone

"You know what, i wont go out tonight as i cant smoke"

Prices of the beer is too high maybe, smoking i cant see it.

Definitely sad to see it go! :disapointed2se:

I'll never forget that night at the Wedlocks following our semi-final playoff victory vs Hartlepool!

That was simply unforgettable, and a great "drunken" night was followed by all! :farmer:

Ah yes, that was the night i did a 'full moon' in the Wedlocks back garden!

• Admin
If you find a pair of shoes, they're mine. I had to leave them behind the last time I was in there, as they got stuck to the carpet.

They'd be out of fashion now!!, it's got to be 25 years since The Star / Wedlocks had carpet and that was only in the back bar, before it got knocked into one.

The Wedlocks pub could and should have been made a listed building to stop it getting knocked down. Adolf Hitler's airforce failed to knock it down in the 1940's but the Hitlerite Lib-Lab-Con European Unionists on Bristol council have now succeeded where their Fuhrer failed.

Archived