IGNORED

Offers For 4 New Players

gary cornes

On press talk it states that gary johnson has made 4 offers for new players and has declinde to comment on the offer for mark yeates.

Bristol City are believed to have entered the running to secure the signature of in-demand Colchester United winger Mark Yeates. Reports yesterday suggested that City had tabled a £300,000 bid for the winger, but are expected to be told to come back with an improved offer if they are serious in their efforts to land the Irishman. Colchester are understood to be willing to cash in on their star wideman as he only has 12 months remaining on his initial contract - but they are understood to be holding out for a larger fee with Championship rivals Sheffield United and Crystal Palace also both keen. Bristol City declined to comment on whether or not they had made an offer for Yeates when contacted by the Post yesterday, but manager Gary Johnson has confirmed that official bids have been made for up to four new players.

lets hope they sign and they are proven players.

PS thank god Marvins going to be signing a new deal !!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry mate but only a select few know who we`ve bid for the rest of us are guessing. I.M.H.O 4 times as many, at least, will be leaving as them that come in.

Also sorry to p on your parade but Marv has not signed yet, even after he has I wouldnt bet my house on him still being here at the start of the season even..

Although it will cost any new employer more he still remains available ditto the of rest of the team. :noexpression:

On press talk it states that gary johnson has made 4 offers for new players and has declinde to comment on the offer for mark yeates.

Bristol City are believed to have entered the running to secure the signature of in-demand Colchester United winger Mark Yeates. Reports yesterday suggested that City had tabled a £300,000 bid for the winger, but are expected to be told to come back with an improved offer if they are serious in their efforts to land the Irishman. Colchester are understood to be willing to cash in on their star wideman as he only has 12 months remaining on his initial contract - but they are understood to be holding out for a larger fee with Championship rivals Sheffield United and Crystal Palace also both keen. Bristol City declined to comment on whether or not they had made an offer for Yeates when contacted by the Post yesterday, but manager Gary Johnson has confirmed that official bids have been made for up to four new players.

Speakinmg to a colchester fan at work today he confirmed the city interest but stated Yeates wanted a london based club

Also sorry to p on your parade but Marv has not signed yet, even after he has I wouldnt bet my house on him still being here at the start of the season

You could be right g.o.b, it is common for players to sign bigger contracts so that the selling club has more bargaining power.

BCAGFC

You could be right g.o.b, it is common for players to sign bigger contracts so that the selling club has more bargaining power.

BCAGFC

As I`ve said before, the only 2 players that I`d bet on being here are Carey and LJ (and thats pressuming his dad still is) :noexpression:

As I`ve said before, the only 2 players that I`d bet on being here are Carey and LJ (and thats pressuming his dad still is) :noexpression:

I'd add Henderson, McAllister, Sproule :doh: Brian Wilson, James Wilson, Ribeiro and Maynard.

As for the rest, I'd agree anything could happen - contract extensions or not.

I reckon there'll be one or two 'surprise' departures yet, it wouldn't be Bristol City F.C. otherwise.

Totally different.

Yeates is a proven player at this level and is worth twice Moxey - 300k for Yeates would have been a steal and GJ will be back in for him with a more realistic offer. Colchester will want at least 400k I would think - again a steal.

Moxey isn't proven at this level and if Derby want to pay over the odds, then fair play to them.

Clough knows Moxey from their non-league days - he's also signed two players from non-league (below the conference) in the last week or so. It's what he knows and he's good at getting every ounce of skill and effort out of players like that.

Derby will also be buying experience this summer and they could be a top side this season - Premier League set up and ready to take off.

How do you know Yeates is worth twice Moxey? Is Yeates proven at this level any more than Moxey? Different positions anyway so why not show determination to get them both?

If Clough can be said to get every ounce of skill and effort out of players like Moxey can the same not be said of GJ?

If you consider Moxey to be a player who could help to make Derby a top side this season, could he not have been a similarly astute acquisition for City?

I hope City put in a strong bid for Moxey and weren't dissuaded by an extre 100k. or so - he sounded like an ideal player who could cover more than one position where City need strengthening and we need to be genuinely willing to fight tooth and nail with clubs like Derby for players like this who it seems we were keen to bring to AG.

How do you know Yeates is worth twice Moxey? Is Yeates proven at this level any more than Moxey? Different positions anyway so why not show determination to get them both?

If Clough can be said to get every ounce of skill and effort out of players like Moxey can the same not be said of GJ?

If you consider Moxey to be a player who could help to make Derby a top side this season, could he not have been a similarly astute acquisition for City?

I hope City put in a strong bid for Moxey and weren't dissuaded by an extre 100k. or so - he sounded like an ideal player who could cover more than one position where City need strengthening and we need to be genuinely willing to fight tooth and nail with clubs like Derby for players like this who it seems we were keen to bring to AG.

Yeates has played at this level, whereas moxey has not.

I know he has, that doesn't make him proven at this level.

Ivan's played 2 seasons at this level. :whistle2:

Ivan is proven. He may not be good enough for a promotion chasing side, but he is good enough for this level.

Yeates performed well when he played at this level by all accounts.

Ivan is proven. He may not be good enough for a promotion chasing side, but he is good enough for this level.

Yeates performed well when he played at this level by all accounts.

Completely disagree that Ivan is proven or good enough for this level.

He lacks basic crossing and shooting ability as well as any level of consistency in his general play.

As for Yeates, I personally like the sound of him despite the fact he is not proven at this level to my satisfaction - he sounds like he would fit in at City well, with a strong likelihood he would nail down a first team place and enhance the team.

My point was that you cannot discount Moxey and at the same trumpet Yeates, there would be an element of gamble with either signing but I reckon both would be ideal squad additions for where we stand now and the reasonable prices would have made both gambles equally worthwhile.

Completely disagree that Ivan is proven or good enough for this level.

He lacks basic crossing and shooting ability as well as any level of consistency in his general play.

As for Yeates, I personally like the sound of him despite the fact he is not proven at this level to my satisfaction - he sounds like he would fit in at City well, with a strong likelihood he would nail down a first team place and enhance the team.

My point was that you cannot discount Moxey and at the same trumpet Yeates, there would be an element of gamble with either signing but I reckon both would be ideal squad additions for where we stand now and the reasonable prices would have made both gambles equally worthwhile.

Just because he lacks composure, does not mean he aint good enough..... theres other parts of his game, which makes him good enough for this level. Pace (obviously), Determination, hard working. tracks back and helps his full back - good impact sub against tiring teams.

Moxey is more of a gamble - the highest he has played is League Two. Yeates has played higher throughout his career.

Just because he lacks composure, does not mean he aint good enough..... theres other parts of his game, which makes him good enough for this level. Pace (obviously), Determination, hard working. tracks back and helps his full back - good impact sub against tiring teams.

Moxey is more of a gamble - the highest he has played is League Two. Yeates has played higher throughout his career.

These 'attributes' you mention of Ivan count for very little when they are not accompanied by the basic footballing ability required. His new contract ensures we are certain of many more frustrating afternoons watching the terrible anti climax of his wayward final ball. Maynard will not achieve his potential with that level of service.

You obviously see something in him that makes you like the player as an individual to be so willing to minimise his obvious shortcomings.

How many games has Yeates has played at our level? Not enough to be said to be proven IMO. Even so, I like everything I hear about him and hope City manage to sign him.

Moxey seems to thrive with every new challenge so every reason to think he'll rise to the Championship. We are told City watched him often and were keen to sign him, and it looks like Derby have outbid us without too much of a fight.

Both signings would have had an element of risk, but in both cases a risk worth taking.

These 'attributes' you mention of Ivan count for very little when they are not accompanied by the basic footballing ability required. His new contract ensures we are certain of many more frustrating afternoons watching the terrible anti climax of his wayward final ball. Maynard will not achieve his potential with that level of service.

You obviously see something in him that makes you like the player as an individual to be so willing to minimise his obvious shortcomings.

How many games has Yeates has played at our level? Not enough to be said to be proven IMO. Even so, I like everything I hear about him and hope City manage to sign him.

Moxey seems to thrive with every new challenge so every reason to think he'll rise to the Championship. We are told City watched him often and were keen to sign him, and it looks like Derby have outbid us without too much of a fight.

Both signings would have had an element of risk, but in both cases a risk worth taking.

Yeates has completed a full season at CCC level scoring 8 goal from midfield in 07/08 I believe, and that was in a team that eventually were relegated, now compare this to a team that although had bad spells as well as good to finish tenth, yet our midfield struggled to beat that total between them all.

No, I recognise his weaknesses, but that does not stop me seeing his strengths unlike some :whistle2:

I hope he's not in our first eleven this season, but he's a decent back-up player for when ***our new signing*** is injured. And he's a great option to have on the bench.

Both the Southampton home games in the past 2 seasons prove he is (just about) good enough for this level.

Yeates has completed a full season at CCC level scoring 8 goal from midfield in 07/08 I believe, and that was in a team that eventually were relegated, now compare this to a team that although had bad spells as well as good to finish tenth, yet our midfield struggled to beat that total between them all.

You don't need to persuade me, redcityman, I want us to sign Yeates.

One season isn't 'proven' in my book, nevertheless everything I hear about him makes me think think he's exactly what we need, a chance creating and goalscoring right sided player.

I just reckon Moxey would have been a very useful signing too.

No, I recognise his weaknesses, but that does not stop me seeing his strengths unlike some :whistle2:

Yes, he can run like a gazelle, unfortunately he also crosses the ball like one too.

I hope he's not in our first eleven this season, but he's a decent back-up player for when ***our new signing*** is injured. And he's a great option to have on the bench.

So, on the one hand you're saying he's proven at this level but on the other you hope he's not in our first team?? :dunno::doh:Sometimes he's effective off the bench, sometimes not. I'd rather have Brian Wilson on the bench covering right midfield. He can run about all day and cross the ball better.

Both the Southampton home games in the past 2 seasons prove he is (just about) good enough for this level.

I'm afraid you'll have to come up with much more than a couple of performances against a now relegated side, in 2 seasons. What about the other 90 games? It comes down to this - if Sproule can't cross the ball consistently then for all his occasional exciting running he's a liability denying our forwards numerous chances they are entitled to expect from a winger at Championship level. If the fans are frustrated, just imagine how discouraging it is for the likes of Nicky Maynard when yet another dreadful cross predictably sails into nowhere land behind the goal.

Nogbad.

I think he is average at this level. To get promotion we need players who are above average.

I read alot of people who write off our players who are "not good enough" - more often or not they are good enough, but not good enough for a side who has genuine promotion ambitions.

Nogbad.

I think he is average at this level. To get promotion we need players who are above average.

I read alot of people who write off our players who are "not good enough" - more often or not they are good enough, but not good enough for a side who has genuine promotion ambitions.

Look Riaz, you're very much entitled to your opinion. Mine is that I'm disappointed Ivan hasn't moved on because I rate him as less than average at this level.

I can understand why some fans have taken to him because he's an exciting sight at full pelt with the ball at his feet.

The problem for me is 9 times out of 10 we know exactly what is coming next.

I don't dislike Ivan at all but he is one of very few in our squad who I genuinely don't think will help City progress, or even maintain our mid table position.

I'd like to think I'm fairly even handed in my evaluations of City players and the vast majority of our current players have progressed superbly well and are an asset to the club.

Some though I have made my mind up about and have less patience with and the likes of Stern, Styvar and Ivan have taken the brunt of my recent criticisms.

However, Ivan is evidently staying so I'll be right behind him at AG in the new season hoping that whatever persuaded GJ to offer him another contract becomes evident to the rest of us.

Look Riaz, you're very much entitled to your opinion. Mine is that I'm disappointed Ivan hasn't moved on because I rate him as less than average at this level.

I can understand why some fans have taken to him because he's an exciting sight at full pelt with the ball at his feet.

The problem for me is 9 times out of 10 we know exactly what is coming next.

I don't dislike Ivan at all but he is one of very few in our squad who I genuinely don't think will help City progress, or even maintain our mid table position.

I'd like to think I'm fairly even handed in my evaluations of City players and the vast majority of our current players have progressed superbly well and are an asset to the club.

Some though I have made my mind up about and have less patience with and the likes of Stern, Styvar and Ivan have taken the brunt of my recent criticisms.

However, Ivan is evidently staying so I'll be right behind him at AG in the new season hoping that whatever persuaded GJ to offer him another contract becomes evident to the rest of us.

So, do you think GJ should bring in 2 right wingers, cos if we let him go we'd need to replace him....

Assuming we sign Mark Yeates for example, who's going to sign to be on the bench??

So, do you think GJ should bring in 2 right wingers, cos if we let him go we'd need to replace him....

Assuming we sign Mark Yeates for example, who's going to sign to be on the bench??

We're keeping Brian Wilson and as far as I'm concerned, and despite what he says himself, right side midfield is his best (possibly only) position.

Ivan's not going anyway apparently but if we land Yeates, I'd be happy with Wilson as back up.

We're keeping Brian Wilson and as far as I'm concerned, and despite what he says himself, right side midfield is his best (possibly only) position.

Ivan's not going anyway apparently but if we land Yeates, I'd be happy with Wilson as back up.

Personnally I would'nt be happy with Wilson. Cant even remember him playing right wing?!

His best position is right back apparently :noexpression:

Personnally I would'nt be happy with Wilson. Cant even remember him playing right wing?!

His best position is right back apparently :noexpression:

As I said above, Wilson's not a defender despite apparently once being quoted as saying right back is his favoured position.

He's not a right winger either, in the old fashioned sense of the word, but IMO has put in his best performances in a City shirt on the right hand side of midfield.

In that position he very adequately links play, has the stamina to run up and down all match ( Ivan usually looks knackered after 20 minutes of doing the same ) and his crossing is at least a bit more consistent than Ivan's - rememember that quick turn and pinpoint cross for Adebola to tap into the Atyeo end last season. That was actually wing play at it's best, even if he isn't a winger.

Wilson will never be a crowd pleaser, or a 'star' but he wouldn't let anyone down as an occasional filler in, and in his best form could even get longer runs in the team.

As I said above, Wilson's not a defender despite apparently once being quoted as saying right back is his favoured position.

He's not a right winger either, in the old fashioned sense of the word, but IMO has put in his best performances in a City shirt on the right hand side of midfield.

In that position he very adequately links play, has the stamina to run up and down all match ( Ivan usually looks knackered after 20 minutes of doing the same ) and his crossing is at least a bit more consistent than Ivan's - rememember that quick turn and pinpoint cross for Adebola to tap into the Atyeo end last season. That was actually wing play at it's best, even if he isn't a winger.

Wilson will never be a crowd pleaser, or a 'star' but he wouldn't let anyone down as an occasional filler in, and in his best form could even get longer runs in the team.

Wilson is not a good right winger! I don't mind him filling any position once but I would not be happy if he had to play right wing for a sustained period of time! Sproule I have a lot of time for! I agree he can be very frustrating but he is a very usefull player to have in the squad..I also don't see why everyone has a problem with his final ball? It isn't that bad if it was any better he would be at a better club! If city were to release him he would end up at another championship club! Pace is a very valuable asset at this level!

Wilson is not a good right winger!

Right sided midfield player.

I don't mind him filling any position once but I would not be happy if he had to play right wing for a sustained period of time!

He's not a winger, he's a perfectly capable right sided midfield player.

Sproule I have a lot of time for!

Why's that then?

I agree he can be very frustrating

Yes, many would agree with that.

but he is a very usefull player to have in the squad..

Not really. He's not good enough to be a first team regular and he's a hit and miss sub.

I also don't see why everyone has a problem with his final ball?

It's because 9 times out of 10 it is embarrassingly awful.

It isn't that bad

It is that bad

if it was any better he would be at a better club!

No he wouldn't, his all round game wouldn't justify that.

If city were to release him he would end up at another championship club!

No, he'd return to Scotland, no chance another Championship club would take him.

Pace is a very valuable asset at this level!

At any level, but only combined with natural footballing ability, a modicum of consistency, and having the wherewithall to think about what you are doing.

Archived