IGNORED

Formation Switch?

internetjef

With some of the transfers that are being mooted is there any chance GJ could be about to move away from his 4-4-2 target man style, in favour of the european flavour of the month 4-3-3???

Players linked so far seem to have been defensive midfielders (Peltier/Anderson) and attacking wide players (Yeates/Moxey/Martin).

With now only really maynard as a recognised striker on the books (not inc out of favour trunds and currently inexperienced Big John), could it be that GJ is looking to solidify the central midfield, releasing the wingers of defensive duties to get up and support a lone striker.

Would be a big swing away from GJ's preferred target man style

I can see the point that you are making,but did we not use this at times last season anyway?

Yes we did and we were at our best. The obsession with 4-4-2 seems peculiar to English fans yet very few teams play that way and haven't done for years. Alex Ferguson for one long since abandoned it on the grounds that it left them too open, especially in Europe. Barcelona have nobody you could call an orthodox winger but it doesn't seem to handicap them. Only Wolves could be said to have played 4-4-2 last season, though Kightly (or Keogh when he played right side) was more of an auxiliary striker than a touchline hugging winger.

Yes we did and we were at our best. The obsession with 4-4-2 seems peculiar to English fans yet very few teams play that way and haven't done for years. Alex Ferguson for one long since abandoned it on the grounds that it left them too open, especially in Europe. Barcelona have nobody you could call an orthodox winger but it doesn't seem to handicap them. Only Wolves could be said to have played 4-4-2 last season, though Kightly (or Keogh when he played right side) was more of an auxiliary striker than a touchline hugging winger.

I thought we did,as I said during last season, I would like to see Marvin,Skuse and Williams as the three in midfield, would be a solid base to start with IMO.

Last year I feel that we were too slightly defensive in our overall play and that is why we lost points in the last few minutes. For most home games last season we played 4-4-2, and for away games, towards the end of the season 4-5-1. I would like us to take it one step further from here and play an attacking 4-3-3 at home and a basic 4-4-2 away. It may mean leaking a few more goals, but it would possibly mean scoring more goals, and having a striker banging in 20 goals+ for the first time in a while.

We most certainly had our best form last year playing 4-3-3. Judging from the players linked I think we are moving back more to the 4-5-1 of our first season in championship

I think it would look something like this:

Basso

Orr Carey Fonts Macallister

Martin De Silva Williams Elliott Mcindoe

Maynard

Depending on if players sign or not I also think the two wingers may bomb on a bit when on the attack. It is a very flexible system.

I wouldnt be disappointed with that at all.

We most certainly had our best form last year playing 4-3-3. Judging from the players linked I think we are moving back more to the 4-5-1 of our first season in championship

I think it would look something like this:

Basso

Orr Carey Fonts Macallister

Martin Skuse the Silva Elliott Mcindoe

Maynard

Depending on if players sign or not I also think the two wingers may bomb on a bit when on the attack. It is a very flexible system.

I wouldnt be disappointed with that at all.

I feel that the midfield is slightly too defensive and, it's not because I have anything against Skuse because I feel that he is a great player, but a would rather have Gavin Williams or even Lee Johnson in there for more of the attacking option. If we don't sign De Silva than I would most definatly but Skuse in.

I feel that the midfield is slightly too defensive and, it's not because I have anything against Skuse because I feel that he is a great player, but a would rather have Gavin Williams or even Lee Johnson in there for more of the attacking option. If we don't sign De Silva than I would most definatly but Skuse in.

Pants I forgot about Williams, I shall edit!

Archived