IGNORED

Elliott Or Skuse ?

foghornred

:city: OK, so Cole Skuse has signed a contract extension and Marvin Elliot has verbally agreed to one, which is good news all around.

The question that I have is why would they sign as we all know that the center of midfield is Johnson and either Elliot or Skuse ?

Add to this equation Williams and any central midfielders that are signed before the season starts means that someone is going to spend alot of the season on the bench.

What is our ideal midfield ?

:city: OK, so Cole Skuse has signed a contract extension and Marvin Elliot has verbally agreed to one, which is good news all around.

The question that I have is why would they sign as we all know that the center of midfield is Johnson and either Elliot or Skuse ?

Add to this equation Williams and any central midfielders that are signed before the season starts means that someone is going to spend alot of the season on the bench.

1) Elliott 2) Skuse 3) Artus / 1) Signing, but not Anderson de Silva 2) Williams 3) Johnson

Saying that Skuse has developed enormously and showed that he got what it takes. Overall a more gifted player than Elliott. Ask me the same question christmas 2010 and Skuse probably will be my first choice.

Our ideal midfield does not have Lee Johnson in the centre in my opinion. I'm not going to start slating the guys performances everyone I just believe there are better players available for his position. My ideal midfield would be a new central midfielder alongside Elliot or Williams with a new pair of wingers. Building a midfield like this though requires time and I appreciate that not all the right players to occupy those positions are available at the right time. For next season I forsee our midfield being largely the same as last seasons. McIndoe - Johnson - Elliot or Skuse - Williams. But I firmly believe that Williams is wasted when played wide right as it is not a position that suits his best abilities.

1) Elliott 2) Skuse 3) Artus / 1) Signing, but not Anderson de Silva 2) Williams 3) Johnson

Saying that Skuse has developed enormously and showed that he got what it takes. Overall a more gifted player than Elliott. Ask me the same question christmas 2010 and Skuse probably will be my first choice.

Skuse will never be the player Elliott is. Elliott has far more strength and power and covers much more ground.

Skuse is not that much younger than him, so I cant see him becoming better than him.

Skuse will never be the player Elliott is. Elliott has far more strength and power and covers much more ground.

Skuse is not that much younger than him, so I cant see him becoming better than him.

Quite agree. In fact, I can't help but think that lots of people seem to be seeing Skuse with rose-tinted glasses. Last season he was dreadful up to Chirstmas and improved afterwards, when in general I would say he played well, but nothing more.

As Tony Pulis, once said 'one swallow doesn't make a Summer'.

:innocent06:

Simple answer; Marvin

I'm glad to see that Cole is finally growing into a role at city, and he def. does have one, but facts are while Marvin is on our books he is pretty much first name on the sheet.

If we sign Anderson de Silva and keep Marvelous then we'll finally have the midfield pairing we've been crying out for... a passing midfielder who has the ability to slot a winger or striker in from nothing and the box to box man with heaps of energy and commitment... the engine.

if we had intelligent wingers, and someone to partner nicky, we'd be a very dangerous side. looking forward to seeing the developments this summer :) its one of the most intriguing ones for years

Our midfield is built around LJ

This central midfield question is so very importent, we just have to get it right. Sooner rather than later.

Lets look at the managerial rhetoric. We have to sign players who are better than what we have, we have to select players who affect the game.

We will have Elliot, Artus, LJ, Skuse Williams and signings. In any event thats 6 for 2 positions. Most of you consider Elliot to be the main man. He may have verbally accepted a new contract, however a better outside offer could change his mind. Artus, soon 21, needs to move his rear end to establish himself. He did well for Cheltenham in league 1, but loans are out, for goodness sake at 21 you need to be where its at. LJ is just not a player who affects a game at Championship level. Skuse, same as LJ, not quite Championship promotion quality. Williams, hot and cold with a history of fitness situations. Signings....... well check the forum, coming soon.

If we want to get promoted and I assume our club directors are serious, we need to select players who affect the game, to use GJ's comment.

Only Elliot and possibly Artus and Williams fit that description. Add a good signing and you have 4 players for 2 positions. GJ may want an allrounder like Skuse as back up. Thats enough, but for promotion the players indeed have to affect the game. Time for some hard nose decisions.

Archived