IGNORED

Sid Morgan R.i.p

cider head

Former Bristol city goal keeper sid morgan, a product of the downs league football has died aged 82. He signed for the club in 1948 and went on to make 73 first team appearances, a number only limited because of the capable keepers at the club in the 1950's and his own succession of injuries. He suffered a badly injured spine and knee as well as a punchered lung during his career. Mr morgan, a popular and maybe underrated player, left city in 1958 before ending his career with millwall where he played for two seasons before playing non-league football for sailsbury in the western league. He was a useful club cricketer who played for bedminster, southville wayfarers and briefly for stapleton. At school he was also a good rugby player. Knowing that sport could not last forever Mr morgan who served as a royal marine, trained as an electrician. In 1999 he celebrated 50 years of marriage with Barbara, at their stapleton home. Barbara died a few years ago. Mervin baker, a vice-president of the Bristol downs league, said: ''I remember sid playing for Bristol city in the early 1950's. ''He was a very reliable player and once lost his place only to regain it and Bristol city went on unbeaten for seven games at the time when they were struggling. He was a very nice man, very modest and was also a good cricketer as well. It is very sad he has passed on.''

Mr morgan's funeral was today at 2pm at holy trinity church in stapleton and then at Bristol crematoriam, family and friends were invited.

R.I.P Sid. 1926 - 2009

Archived