IGNORED

4-2-3-1 ?

Port Said Red

Despite Elliott signing we still appear to be trying to sign another player for a similar role, although with different attributes.

It made me wonder whether we are looking to play the currently popular 4-2-3-1 system.

Elliott - Skuse (De Silva) in front of the back 4 McIndoe, Sproule, LJ/Williams (Possibly others in the pipeline) as the attacking 3 in behind Maynard/Akinde (A N Other).

If we are struggling to find high quality strikers at a price we can afford, it would make sense to play a system along these lines.

I think this system would keep the ball on the deck more and give us more strength front and back.

Despite Elliott signing we still appear to be trying to sign another player for a similar role, although with different attributes.

It made me wonder whether we are looking to play the currently popular 4-2-3-1 system.

Elliott - Skuse (De Silva) in front of the back 4 McIndoe, Sproule, LJ/Williams (Possibly others in the pipeline) as the attacking 3 in behind Maynard/Akinde (A N Other).

If we are struggling to find high quality strikers at a price we can afford, it would make sense to play a system along these lines.

I think this system would keep the ball on the deck more and give us more strength front and back.

A strong possibilty.The flaw in this system is if we play a lone 'target man' and end up hoofing it, particularly given our fullbacks 'erratic' distribution. That though is only a minus not an inevitability.

A strong possibilty.The flaw in this system is if we play a lone 'target man' and end up hoofing it, particularly given our fullbacks 'erratic' distribution. That though is only a minus not an inevitability.

As much as I rate Maynard I don't see him as a lone striker - and surely after spending £2m+ we should play to his strengths?

As much as I rate Maynard I don't see him as a lone striker - and surely after spending £2m+ we should play to his strengths?

When I have seen this system played properly, (Liverpool do it very well) you rarely have anyone as the lone striker because it allows for more fluidity. Having the two sitting players should give the opportunity to at least 2 of the three to break into attacking positions. It's 4-2-3-1 and in extreme conditions 4-5-1 when defending, but can quickly become 4-3-3 when attacking.

We played with this system against Portsmouth in the match at AG,and it wasn't too bad,especially if we think that we played against Portsmouth. To me,it could be a good solution in some matches,but I think this system can be more effective with a powerful and tall player in attack,rather than a small one like Maynard.

In the season just gone we saw this formation a few times and more often than not Maynard was in one of the wide roles. If used again in the coming season (and I think we will see switches between it and 4-4-2) I don't think we'll see Maynard as the central striker too often.

Maynard is most effective on the move looking for space, in a 1v1 with a dirty great centre half he's never going to have much success so no point doing that.

With 3 attacking players behind him prepared to make the supporting runs he will be a nightmare to deal with, A disorganized defence wont know who to pick up and even a well organized one will have to be on their toes.

For this to work we need a player we don't really have yet, basically a Scholes type player. Haha Scholes would do nicely!

Players keep the ball on the deck and not systems in my opinion. Good players can slot into any system and play football - blaming the system is a poor excuse by any player for lack of passing technique and composure I reckon.

I would not look forward to seeing us play any system which uses less than two players up top - just a personal opinion on how I like to see football played. I am hoping that the manager and the team show a lot more attacking intent this season via the acquisition of some quality players which mean that we do not have to set ourselves up so defensively (to cover the obvious deficiencies we currently have in quality).

Or you could go as a 4-3-1-2

Have an atacking creative midfeild (Williams or whoever) behind the strikers, be there for balls behind the back 4, long shots and a bit of support

The midfeilder behind is there to fall back when oppo in possesion, wingers can get forward

Archived