IGNORED

When Was The Last Time

arpaul

so much rested on 90 minutes ? You could say that every game is important, but deep down that's not strictly true.

No doubt some of the replies will mention the LDV/Auto Windscreens/Sherpa Van/freight Rover/Mickey Mouse Trophy which, if the truth be known is something of a none event.

Others will mention local derbies against Bristol Rovers or the Severnside derbies against Cardiff.-but its pride at stake in those games.

We've never got far enough in the FA Cup to really 'get the buzz'.

Games which had the same kind of build up of nerves and tension are few and far between, that I can remember (and my first game was 67/68).

Away to Chester City. Had to win to guarantee promotion from division 4-Trevor Morgan securing promotion in a 2-1 victory in last ten minutes (before most of you ridicule me- YES there used to be a Division 4-ask your Dads)

Away to York City Ralph Milnes last minute goal to secre 1-0 win. Had to win last two games to guarantee play off place under Joe Jordan.And then the last game at home to Doncaster Rovers.(Colin Gordons hand ball goal in last 10 minutes)

The last game of another season at home to Swindon needing to win to guarantee play off place-Gordon Owen missing last minute penalty in 1-1 draw.

The championship decider with Rovers in '89/'90 (?) Twerton Park. The anticipation of work colleagues (both red & blue) in the build up, driving over on the night full of optimism and nervous excitement. The drive home, filled with thoughts of disbelief, confusion anxiety and the ear shattering silence.

Both legs of the Littlewoods Cup Semi Final, the season before. Forest eqalising in the last 5 minutes in Nottingham, and City hitting the post in last minute at home in second leg

The amazing 2-2 draw at Coventry Citys Highfield Road in the mid '70s-Must be the biggest night of drama I've ever witnessed, and the build up during the week was incredible...Played truant from school in order to queue for some three to four hours to obtain ticket.

Promotion night at home to Portsmouth '75/'76 (?). Never does a young lad expect to see his local heroes playing against the likes of the then mighty Liverpool and Co.

Obviously last seasons home play off against Cardiff is in there somewhere, as are the play off final games against Walsall !!

All games that I've been to. No doubt I've missed a few, but I'm sure you'll let me know.

Any others?

well I'm not sure I agree with that. Not all is lost if SW or we fail in our mission, unlike some of these games.
I understand what you are saying, but the prize of automatic promotion will be gone if events are unkind tomorrow.

True, and I really I mean REALLY want auto promotion. But it's nice to remember we still have a backdoor if we find the front door locked. I think SW will get it done, so it is up to us. We owe Blackpool one for that 5-1 thrashing that knocked us out a couple years ago (now that was a painful loss)

Archived