IGNORED

1976/1977 Away Shirt

freezer

Evening all.

Can someone please enlighten me, I have the great white away top with the Robin badge on circa 1976 and the number 10 on the back.

Who was playing at number 10 that season? I think I know who it was but would appreciate confirmation.

Guest Greasy Chip Butty
That would have to be Paul Cheesley.

Who now runs the Knowle pub and a gemtleman he is too.

Regards from a Briz boy :D

Paul cheesley retired in jan 1977 and wore that white away kit at arsenal the first away game that season 76/77 (21st Aug 1976). He was injured the second game at home so i'm sure for the rest of that season the following players all had a go in the no.10 shirt around that time were chris garland 76/83, peter cormack 76/80, kevin mabbutt 76/81, keith fear 69/78 (fear wore mainly the no.9 shirt before the robin badge but has wore the no.10 shirt with the robin on).

City had that white away kit from 76 to 79/80.

During the 1976-77 season, the number ten shirt was worn in league matches as follows:

Peter Cormack, 17 times (7 home, 10 away)

Don Gillies, 12 times (6 home, 6 away)

Gerry Gow, 6 times (4 home, 2 away)

Paul Cheesely 3 times (2 home, 1 away)

Keith Fear 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

Jimmy Mann 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

Don Gillies also wore the number ten shirt in the League Cup away at Coventry, and Peter Cormack wore it in the FA Cup away at Ipswich.

If you are specifically interested in the white away shirt, you will have to find out in which matches we actually played in white! :dunno:

During the 1976-77 season, the number ten shirt was worn in league matches as follows:

Peter Cormack, 17 times (7 home, 10 away)

Don Gillies, 12 times (6 home, 6 away)

Gerry Gow, 6 times (4 home, 2 away)

Paul Cheesely 3 times (2 home, 1 away)

Keith Fear 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

Jimmy Mann 2 times (1 home, 1 away)

Don Gillies also wore the number ten shirt in the League Cup away at Coventry, and Peter Cormack wore it in the FA Cup away at Ipswich.

If you are specifically interested in the white away shirt, you will have to find out in which matches we actually played in white! :dunno:

Thats about right Yep, cheese is the most remembered, and city did wear red away a fair few time to.

kevin mabbutt hat trick at old trafford 1978/79 (ok not 76/77 but same kit) he wore the white shirt but not sure if it was no.10 or not but mabbutt did wear the no.10 he also wore the no.9 shirt

kevinmabbutt2.jpg

funny you should say gerry gow as i'm sure i spotted him wearing the red no.10 away at coventry and also i that

whitehead in a no.10??? in the you tube link below, spot the no.10 shirts

off topic but citys away kit the promotion to div.1

briandrysdale7.jpg

kevin mabbutt hat trick at old trafford 1978/79 (ok not 76/77 but same kit) he wore the white shirt but not sure if it was no.10 or not but mabbutt did wear the no.10 he also wore the no.9 shirt

Kevin Mabbutt wore the number 11 shirt at Old Trafford on the day he scored a hat trick.

Jimmy Mann was number 10.

Mabbutt actually wore the number 11 shirt quite a bit that season, roughly the same amount as he wore 10. But yes, he did wear 9 on one occassion that season, as did Clive Whitehead. The other 40 times it was Joe Royle's.

It probably sounds like I'm some sort of anorak with all these facts.

In actual fact I've got it all from a great book I bought a few years ago "Bristol City, The Modern Era, A Complete Record" by David Woods.

Always good for refreshing the memories!

Kevin Mabbutt wore the number 11 shirt at Old Trafford on the day he scored a hat trick.

Jimmy Mann was number 10.

Mabbutt actually wore the number 11 shirt quite a bit that season, roughly the same amount as he wore 10. But yes, he did wear 9 on one occassion that season, as did Clive Whitehead. The other 40 times it was Joe Royle's.

It probably sounds like I'm some sort of anorak with all these facts.

In actual fact I've got it all from a great book I bought a few years ago "Bristol City, The Modern Era, A Complete Record" by David Woods.

Always good for refreshing the memories!

It's all good fella, quite interesting.

Evening all.

Can someone please enlighten me, I have the great white away top with the Robin badge on circa 1976 and the number 10 on the back.

Who was playing at number 10 that season? I think I know who it was but would appreciate confirmation.

Hi Freezer.

Sorry, I know this is an old post but I just found it in the archives.

I was wondering if you still had this 1976 away shirt, and if so are you interested in selling it?

Hi Freezer.

Sorry, I know this is an old post but I just found it in the archives.

I was wondering if you still had this 1976 away shirt, and if so are you interested in selling it?

You may be interested to know you can buy the shirt in question here:

Toffs

It's also worth keeping an eye on ebay. I also read the other day that the club are selling a new range of retro kits - not sure if they've got the one you want.

You may be interested to know you can buy the shirt in question here:

Toffs

It's also worth keeping an eye on ebay. I also read the other day that the club are selling a new range of retro kits - not sure if they've got the one you want.

Thanks for the info, I actually bought one from Toffs and was really disappointed with the quality, it was really poor. The new range of retro shirts are also pretty bad.

If anyone happens to have an original red or white shirt from our time in the 1st division (76-80) I'd be really keen to buy it.

Archived