IGNORED

High Price Clubs

Percy Parrot

I don't think City are anything other than a normal club when it comes to paying and receiving fees. We make some good calls, some bad, sell too low sometimes, buy too high sometimes etc.

But is it me or so some clubs get higher fees because of the club? I swear there are clubs that have been similar or worse than us in the last few years who people will still estimate the cost of their squad as far higher. I think people still have a default view than an average 30 year old reserve at Crystal Palace or Southampton would somehow be better than if we had an identical player.

One case I've been thinking of is Cardiff. Now it may well be that they are just great at blooding youngsters and buying players but in the last 5 years they've sold:

Chopra £5m

Johnson £5m

Ramsey £4.8m

Gunter £3m

Jerome £3m

Earnshaw £3m

Gabbidon/Collins £3.5m

That's £27.3m for 8 players. We've probably hardly sold that amount of players in our 112 year history!

Ramsey and Gunter we'll have to see but they were amazingly high prices for players who had played around 15 and 30 games respectively for Cardiff. Chopra isn't a bad player but the price just barmy. Jerome again pretty high if not as mental as Chopra's price tag. Earnshaw's fee in my opinion at the time was right.

Not to discuss every deal but by those prices Marv, Carey, Orr, Fontaine, McIndoe etc. must be worth some serious money as those boys have been pretty damn consistent in matching teams such as Cardiff over the last two seasons.

Considering Johnson is supposedly worth £5m then Marv must be about £6m! But in all sincerity I really would put him in the £3m bracket.

I don't think City are anything other than a normal club when it comes to paying and receiving fees. We make some good calls, some bad, sell too low sometimes, buy too high sometimes etc.

But is it me or so some clubs get higher fees because of the club? I swear there are clubs that have been similar or worse than us in the last few years who people will still estimate the cost of their squad as far higher. I think people still have a default view than an average 30 year old reserve at Crystal Palace or Southampton would somehow be better than if we had an identical player.

One case I've been thinking of is Cardiff. Now it may well be that they are just great at blooding youngsters and buying players but in the last 5 years they've sold:

Chopra £5m

Johnson £5m

Ramsey £4.8m

Gunter £3m

Jerome £3m

Earnshaw £3m

Gabbidon/Collins £3.5m

That's £27.3m for 8 players. We've probably hardly sold that amount of players in our 112 year history!

Ramsey and Gunter we'll have to see but they were amazingly high prices for players who had played around 15 and 30 games respectively for Cardiff. Chopra isn't a bad player but the price just barmy. Jerome again pretty high if not as mental as Chopra's price tag. Earnshaw's fee in my opinion at the time was right.

Not to discuss every deal but by those prices Marv, Carey, Orr, Fontaine, McIndoe etc. must be worth some serious money as those boys have been pretty damn consistent in matching teams such as Cardiff over the last two seasons.

Considering Johnson is supposedly worth £5m then Marv must be about £6m! But in all sincerity I really would put him in the £3m bracket.

You obviously haven't seen Much of Johnson then! He is a bargain at £5m brilliant defender, gets goals and can play a bit, he will be a big, big loss for them.

You obviously haven't seen Much of Johnson then! He is a bargain at £5m brilliant defender, gets goals and can play a bit, he will be a big, big loss for them.

True enough I haven't seen much of him but at £5m I'd be kind of surprised if there wasn't better and proven at a higher level.

I think with Cardiff in particular it has a lot to do with the club's and players media exposure. A number of the players mentioned were Welsh Internationals (I think that helped with the price we got for Dave Cotterill). Additionally they had that FA Cup run. Johnson being one of the players who got noticed there. I'm sure both elements help inflate the prices.

I think with Cardiff in particular it has a lot to do with the club's and players media exposure. A number of the players mentioned were Welsh Internationals (I think that helped with the price we got for Dave Cotterill). Additionally they had that FA Cup run. Johnson being one of the players who got noticed there. I'm sure both elements help inflate the prices.

Nail on the head mate!

proven maybe, but he is a good defender, too good for the Championship, tbh I thought he may have attracted a better club. Good luck to him, now he has left Cardiff.

Roger Johnson is and excellent central defender and is light years ahead of anything we (BCFC) have atm.

Johnson is tall & strong and can scores goals, he isn't that fast but compaired with McCombe/Carey he is Linford Christie.

I do think that 5m is over priced, it should be around the 3m but I do think we vastly overate our players as well.

Our best DFR (Fontaine) is probably worth around the 1m mark at most.

BCAGFC

Archived