IGNORED

Question About Penalties

nester

I think the answer is yes. I seem to remember when Alex Russel had his pen saved against Oldham but it had to be re-taken, and GJ made a point of how he was brave enough to take the re-take.

Not 100% sure though.

didn't it happen in a Millwall game last season, keeper saved twice but encroached, so the third time a different player took it and scored.

It was Millwall v Peterborough. Joe Lewis saved twice from Gary Alexander, then Dave Martin scored at the third attempt.

About 1966. White Hart Lane.

Score was Spurs 1 City 0. City playing superbly and awarded a penalty. Previously reliable penalty taker right back Tony Ford stepped up but missed. Ref ordered kick to be retaken. Up stepped 'golden boy' new signing Chris Crowe to smash it in but unfortunately smashed it well wide. Jimmy Greaves showed how it should be dome by scoring a penalty late on. Finished Spurs 2 City 0. I suppose the rule is now the same as it was then, that you can change the taker. Anyone else remember the game?

Nothing specific about it in the laws of the game. Just that the kicker has to be properly identified, and that the referee decided when the penalty kick process has been completed. Any infringements (e.g. a member of the defending team entering the penalty area before the ball is kicked) cause the process to be 'restarted' from the beginning, so a team could easily nominate a new penalty taker at this point.

Archived