IGNORED

Marlon Harewood

21. Marcham

Would be a good signing if true and would show that we mean business, but surely wages alone will rule out this signing, also i wouldnt expect he would want to drop down to the championship and even if he did it would be to a 'Bigger' club.

Just heard from a usually reliable source on this forum that Marlon Harewood is expected to sign in the next few days.

This lad normally knows what he's talking about and was right about the Ajax friendly so who knows.

Thoughts?

Kind of makes sense on one level and not on another.

Makes sense because:

Adebola has gone and so needs replacing and thos that know Clarkson say he is not a Target-man type of player and so we would need one of those

Doesn't make sense 'cos

I can't see why Maynard would be dropped or that we would sign Clarkson and then not play him

Just heard from a usually reliable source on this forum that Marlon Harewood is expected to sign in the next few days.

This lad normally knows what he's talking about and was right about the Ajax friendly so who knows.

Thoughts?

First thought is adebola the second - Is that good I don't know. IF it turns out to be true it wouldnt be the signing that got me most excited but could be good if cheap (ie free)

I too would have thought that wages would be key.... firstly we probably couldn't meet his demands and secondly it might rock the boat with existing players.

Still, if the club can manage all that then he'd be a good signing IMO. Definitely showing we mean business.

First thought is adebola the second - Is that good I don't know. IF it turns out to be true it wouldnt be the signing that got me most excited but could be good if cheap (ie free)

A lot quicker and more agile than Adebola to be fair!

I would back him to get 12-15 goals at this level, if Harewood, Clarkson (if they both sign!) and Maynard can chip in with 50 goals next season no one will be complaining. Like others have said though, I would think he is out of our price range, but if he's had a reality check and wants to play football then he would be a cracking signing.

Not doubting the original poster on this, but I'll believe it when I see it!

I too would have thought that wages would be key.... firstly we probably couldn't meet his demands and secondly it might rock the boat with existing players.

I wouldn't have thought it would rock the boat with too many players at City. How many of them are currently or have been established, well-paid Premier League stars(?!)?

Ok, leaving aside the fact that Marlon Harewood is no 'Premier League star', he has been playing consistently at the top level for a long time (two years at Villa and four years at West Ham), and deserves - in current mad stakes - to earn a considerable wage comparable with this.

Having said that, he is now 30 and would be dropping down a division.

By the way, he has once managed 20 goals in a season for Forest and that was when they were in the Championship.

Still, if the club can manage all that then he'd be a good signing IMO. Definitely showing we mean business.

The problem is we all lump footballers in the same bracket which is basically Money Grabbers, who knows what we have offered, maybe its 15k a week which is still £780k a year with big goal bonuses, maybe Harewood is desperate just to play some competitive football and is sick of playing reserves and benching and as hes already a millionaire money is not his main motivation anymore.

I'm more than likely completley wrong but there must be some footballers whos main motivation is to play rather than what their bank balance says.

A couple of weeks ago it seemed he was having talks with Hull, it all went quiet after that, maybe he does not fancy a move up North!!! But I found this, it was reported by the Mirror but look at the figures.

The Daily Mirror is reporting that Hull are prepared to give Villa hard cash for the 29-year-old.

Harewood's asking price is £2m, and the tabloid claims that Hull are prepared to meet this valuation to bring Harewood to the KC Stadium. Harewood will be offered a two year deal worth £25,000 a week, an offer he is almost certain to accept after enduring a torrid time at Aston Villa since joining from West Ham in 2007.

would be very very suprised if this happened, he is currently on £20,000 a week at Villa and has been linked with Hull & Middlesbrough in recent weeks

Apparently Hull are prepared to pay £2 million for him. At 29, I assume he'd rather be playing in the Prem than the CCC, therefore a move to Hull would be far more enticing than an offer from us. Having said that, would love to see him at AG. :D

A couple of weeks ago it seemed he was having talks with Hull, it all went quiet after that, maybe he does not fancy a move up North!!! But I found this, it was reported by the Mirror but look at the figures.

The Daily Mirror is reporting that Hull are prepared to give Villa hard cash for the 29-year-old.

Harewood's asking price is £2m, and the tabloid claims that Hull are prepared to meet this valuation to bring Harewood to the KC Stadium. Harewood will be offered a two year deal worth £25,000 a week, an offer he is almost certain to accept after enduring a torrid time at Aston Villa since joining from West Ham in 2007.

I think this is far more likely. I would be very surprised - and quite pleased - if he did sign for us, but the wages he would be looking for would probably be too much for what we could afford as would the inital fee.

Plus, I would imagine he'd still get games in the Premier League or a more fashionable Championship - which, sadly, we aren't yet...

I think this is far more likely. I would be very surprised - and quite pleased - if he did sign for us, but the wages he would be looking for would probably be too much for what we could afford as would the inital fee.

Plus, I would imagine he'd still get games in the Premier League or a more fashionable Championship - which, sadly, we aren't yet...

Sssssshhhhhhh Mat - whisper that very quietly. Some people on here think we are massive nowadays......

I've heard he's really good when he hits top gear.. :winner_third_h4h:

Ba dum tsh

Played for wolves second part of the season, thought he looked pretty poor..

Also i wouldnt consider him as a target man? not very tall is he?

6'3'' i think.

Love to see Harewoods bizzare looking head down here, may be bit stretching of the wages but who knows.

Would be a decent signing providing we don't break the bank on wages, which I wouldn't expect SL/GJ to do.

If he did come here on top dollar it may impact on other potential deals, that would be my only concern about any deal for him.

Saying all that I would imagaine he'll end up at the bottom end of the Prem or as others have mentioned a more fashionable CCC club.

I wouldn't have thought it would rock the boat with too many players at City. How many of them are currently or have been established, well-paid Premier League stars(?!)?

Ok, leaving aside the fact that Marlon Harewood is no 'Premier League star', he has been playing consistently at the top level for a long time (two years at Villa and four years at West Ham), and deserves - in current mad stakes - to earn a considerable wage comparable with this.

Having said that, he is now 30 and would be dropping down a division.

By the way, he has once managed 20 goals in a season for Forest and that was when they were in the Championship.

Scored 16 in the prem for West Ham aswell few seasons back.

Would an excellent signing for any club at this level.

A good signing if we could get Marlon Harewood and a real show of intent by SL and GJ IMO. Although as someone already said at Wolves i wasn't impressed by his performances and i though he was poor. (But he only played 5 games, 0 Goals).

Anyone know how much it could be? or would it be a Free.

But we'll have to wait and see. :shifty:

The problem is we all lump footballers in the same bracket which is basically Money Grabbers, who knows what we have offered, maybe its 15k a week which is still £780k a year with big goal bonuses, maybe Harewood is desperate just to play some competitive football and is sick of playing reserves and benching and as hes already a millionaire money is not his main motivation anymore.

I'm more than likely completley wrong but there must be some footballers whos main motivation is to play rather than what their bank balance says.

I'd love to think that too... but it's there livelihoods we're talking about here. I think these 'club/actually playing/money' type players are a very small minority these days.

A recent example was Dele? Waiting for the best offer (1yr/2yrs?) that was all about money surely... millionaires or not though I say fair play to them.

Archived