IGNORED

Gerkins In A Pickle - Dean Gerken Signs (merged)

Longacre_red

How much do you think he cost us?!

Really cant understand your logic.

It's been mentioned before that basso is out of contract end of this season (offered new deal but hasnt yet signed) and with Hendersons injury he will be instant back up

and depending on Basso could be number 1 next season.

Not to mention he is young and has championship experience already!!!

Have to agree to disagree then.

much needed siging

no nothing about him, but keeper needed!

we are really on the transfer ball now, but if we were expecting another 4-5 transfers not counting clarkson, then there is only 2 or 3 left, and we need creative midfield player

winger

maybe another striker

maybe another defender

Could be that he's given the impression he isn't going to sign ?

Although we needed another keeper, Hendersons injury proves that.

Either way, I'd be happy with Gerken as number one - good keeper.

Could be, I think he's "keeping his options open". That might make GJ more inclined to have an open competition for the no 1 shirt.

I must say I'm amazed at the number of people who have concluded that Henderson is a great keeper on the basis of on substitute appearance where he made four or five good saves and one fairly serious error.

He's very young and although I would be happy to have him cover an emergency injury I can't see that we can rely on him for a run of games should Basso (who is injury prone) be out.

Loans are OK but when there's an opportunity to bring in a keeper just approaching his mid 20s with lots of Championship experience at a reasonable price I wouldn't pass it up.

Henderson miss three to four matches. A loan keeper as cover up for Basso would have been enough.

and who is too say he is a 3rd keeper? basso is getting on now soo if there is a chance to get a good keeper in why not? are u not happy city are strengthening?

Could be that he's given the impression he isn't going to sign ?

Although we needed another keeper, Hendersons injury proves that.

Either way, I'd be happy with Gerken as number one - good keeper.

Having watched the interview this is very much the impression I got.

I think Johnson is working on the assumption that Basso will see his contract out and then look for a move. He seemed to hesitate when discussing Basso's contract and made clear, when there was really no need to, that although Gerken has signed for an initial 2 year stint he had a future beyond that.

He is fit enough to play for another five years at least.

last season was not his best...still a fantastic keeper but had spells where u wonder what he was doing (88th min, cardiff, home, ross mccormack!)

the signing of a younger keeper will put pressure on basso to preform...so it will bring out the best of him, because he will know if he does not then he can be replaced now.

last season was not his best...still a fantastic keeper but had spells where u wonder what he was doing (88th min, cardiff, home, ross mccormack!)

the signing of a younger keeper will put pressure on basso to preform...so it will bring out the best of him, because he will know if he does not then he can be replaced now.

Think that is a fair post tbh. Like I said this move can bring out the best in both keepers.

Basso was outstanding in our debut Championship season.

He has been an error prone, fantastic shot stopper otherwise.

Golden days for opticians in the Bristol area ;) Basso clearly had one hand on the ball which has been sufficient for the last 25 years.

Is Basso getting on?

A expensive way of getting him to sign that contract..

Strengthening or not we don't need two keepers on the bench.

As mentioned already, we're not going to have 2 keepers on the bench! Most teams will have at least 3 keepers at any time and if one gets injured, then they get another one in on loan. We need decent cover and it makes more sense than spending £1million+ on a more experienced keeper, who may never play anyway. You can't afford to pi** about with that position. We don't want to end up playing Lee Johnson in goal! P.S. That's not a dig at the boy, just the thought of him doing so made me laugh (any outfield player for that matter would be disaster).

As mentioned already, we're not going to have 2 keepers on the bench! Most teams will have at least 3 keepers at any time and if one gets injured, then they get another one in on loan. We need decent cover and it makes more sense than spending £1million+ on a more experienced keeper, who may never play anyway. You can't afford to pi** about with that position. We don't want to end up playing Lee Johnson in goal! P.S. That's not a dig at the boy, just the thought of him doing so made me laugh (any outfield player for that matter would be disaster).

spot on!

Archived