IGNORED

Waiting For....

stroudy

GJ states in his Gerken interview that he is waiting for 2 more to make a decision on if they will sign. Says they have a deadline to get back to us!

Fingers crossed then for a little while, he did say he wanted players in asap not halfway through pre-season.

Perhaps we will hear more before the Portugal trip!

Well I hope the next 2 signings have the prem qaulity GJ stated we needed to push,

Yes, no offence to the 3 new boys, but nothing that suggests proven Championship winning quality yet. If GJ reckons we need 2 more strikers, we aren't going to get our winger/creative midfielder. Lee Johnson again then for 09/10

Well I hope the next 2 signings have the prem qaulity GJ stated we needed to push,

Not too inspired so far to be honest, but not fair to judge yet - GJ might bring in more than a couple of extras yet for the 1st team, its not yet the end of June...

Yes, no offence to the 3 new boys, but nothing that suggests proven Championship winning quality yet. If GJ reckons we need 2 more strikers, we aren't going to get our winger/creative midfielder. Lee Johnson again then for 09/10

Great. Was thinking the same thing. That means it doesn't matter what strikers we get in. No creativity.

Great. Was thinking the same thing. That means it doesn't matter what strikers we get in. No creativity.

He said 1 or possibly 2. I suspect it will be 1 and only 2 if there is somebody too good to miss or too much of a bargain. He also said 4 or 5 more after Clarkson. When we got promoted he kept saying he wanted to add 1 or 2. He signed 8. Don't take him too literally I suggest.

don't think any of the 3 signed in last two days will be part of what GJ considers his starting 11 on first day of season.

We needed a 3rd keeper, some cover at left back, and some serious competition up front and thats all now sorted.

i expect we will see some real quality added now before the start of the season, players that will be harder to get and take longer.

Few more than two it sounded like, sounded like two have untill tomorrow to decide. And just started negotiations with a couple more.

Exactly how I understood it as well. Sounded as if he's waiting for 2 to make their decision to sign, and he also mentioned the fact that we have just opened discussions with another 2 clubs.

Exactly how I understood it as well. Sounded as if he's waiting for 2 to make their decision to sign, and he also mentioned the fact that we have just opened discussions with another 2 clubs.

This may be a loud of rubbish but it's rumoured about Marlon Harewood from West ham he may be a possibilty :closedeyes:

don't think any of the 3 signed in last two days will be part of what GJ considers his starting 11 on first day of season.

We needed a 3rd keeper, some cover at left back, and some serious competition up front and thats all now sorted.

i expect we will see some real quality added now before the start of the season, players that will be harder to get and take longer.

Maybe Clarkson will feature, but the other two lads are squad reinforcements with potential imo

I really hope that we are looking at more than just another two players as some of you have said as I would be extremely disappointed if we didn't get 3 or 4 first team (or at least real challengers) players in. Its what we need imo if we want to progress in this division.

Guest Eamer

I'm glad someone else picked up on this too. I read it as two more signings and that'll be it which I would find very concerning as Blackman and Gerken are in as competition and only Clarkson provides any immediate first team playing time. With two more players I'm not sure it's enough so I certainly hope it's these two players he has bids out for and THEN two MORE because we still need a winger on each side, a central midfielder and a big striker. All of which can jump straight into the starting eleven unlike Blackman and Gerken. So far, one way of looking at it is that we've signed one player for the first team and two back-ups so although the signing of Blackman looks good for the future our immediate future is still to be decided.

I'm glad someone else picked up on this too. I read it as two more signings and that'll be it which I would find very concerning as Blackman and Gerken are in as competition and only Clarkson provides any immediate first team playing time. With two more players I'm not sure it's enough so I certainly hope it's these two players he has bids out for and THEN two MORE because we still need a winger on each side, a central midfielder and a big striker. All of which can jump straight into the starting eleven unlike Blackman and Gerken. So far, one way of looking at it is that we've signed one player for the first team and two back-ups so although the signing of Blackman looks good for the future our immediate future is still to be decided.

Sorry - why wouldn't Gerken be considered for the first team? Played two seasons at this level with Colchester, bit like most of our squad?

GJ said that Blackman 'isn't far away' - so what has GJ seen in Blackman having watched him for a while that you've not seen having never watched him?

Sorry - why wouldn't Gerken be considered for the first team? Played two seasons at this level with Colchester, bit like most of our squad?

GJ said that Blackman 'isn't far away' - so what has GJ seen in Blackman having watched him for a while that you've not seen having never watched him?

I feel Gerken is more of a back up player for Basso... as i said in my previous post, he wouldnt have been signed if weale was still here.

Blackman is still young and maybe a sub for this season, i did read somewhere that he could play on the left wing, so he does give options from the sub bench at least to start with anyway.

Guest Eamer

Well, Gerken is just Weale's replacement. Not a player we would see jumping straight into the starting eleven.

What I'm saying is, do you think the signings made so far plus two more (probably being a CM and a ST) will be enough? Because I don't. Although Blackman is a good signing it isn't going to be enough at the moment and Gerken although two seasons in the Championship with Colchester, he's recently lost his place and been on loan at Darlington.

I am still a bit puzzled why Weale left at all.. i mean he left on a free if i am not mistaken and then we are forced to replace him by buying a new goalie. i am sure i am missing some detail here so would appreciate someone explaining the reasoning of weale out and gerken in.

Guest Eamer
I am still a bit puzzled why Weale left at all.. i mean he left on a free if i am not mistaken and then we are forced to replace him by buying a new goalie. i am sure i am missing some detail here so would appreciate someone explaining the reasoning of weale out and gerken in.

Weale's contract ran out. Weale wanted to leave.

Weales contract ran out, i do think we did put an offer to him, but the lure of first team football plus staying in this division is why he left.

I thought weale was a very good keeper but just couldnt shift Basso.

Well, Gerken is just Weale's replacement. Not a player we would see jumping straight into the starting eleven.

What I'm saying is, do you think the signings made so far plus two more (probably being a CM and a ST) will be enough? Because I don't. Although Blackman is a good signing it isn't going to be enough at the moment and Gerken although two seasons in the Championship with Colchester, he's recently lost his place and been on loan at Darlington.

It sounds like Gerken lost his place due to a disagreement with Lambert more than a loss of form. To me the fact he was willing to go on loan to Darlo and play football rather than just pick the wages up shows he's got something about him.

And I agree with the signings we've made so far not being enough, but depending on how you interpret GJ's message there are at least two more that we're close to and possibly another two after that. That would be more than enough signings for one summer, as long as there's a right winger in there somewhere!

Don't know anything about Blackman to comment, but I think we've got a cracker in Clarkson and Gerken, in my opinion, is someone who can come in and challenge Basso. Good times!

Now he's gone, I can say that I spoke to CW and he confirmed that there was an offer on the table for him from City - but, as the other posters correctly state, he didnt want to stay. Obviously, my pointing out to him how much the city faithful wanted him to stay made a huge difference :noexpression:

I don't think that he ever really got over the fact that he was dropped after the Wolves away game when he got beaten by that Keightly (spelling? whatever!) fluke goal (oh yes it was - stood right behind it - no way did he mean that!).

Archived