IGNORED

5 Or 6 More Players Needed?

CARLE08

So far so good.

We could have utilised the loan market for another goalkeeper however I do get the impression that this shall be Basso's last season with us - realistically we could be looking at a mere 5 footballing months of him left if we want a fee, and as such I am pleased to see a young goalkeeper with Championship experience come in.

Although McAllister had a poor season he certainly doesnt let anyone down. He did however need competition for his place and we have achieved this with Blackman.

Clarkson could prove a genuine, genuine, steal. £800k for a 23 year old International striker is, on paper, fantastic business. He has a decent scoring return for a poor team and his hard working nature should endear him to the fans.

BUT . . . .

we still desperately need more striking threats. Considering Johnson stated after the Clarkson signing that he was still after one, possibly two more strikers it should be assumed that Trundle is very much surplus to requirements. Johnson will no doubt respect Lee, unlike David Noble, for going elsewhere to get games but with Maynard and Clarkson ahead of him and with at least one more incoming player knocking him down another peg, the reality is that Trundle is fourth choice striker at best - discounting Akinde who should be sent on loan for a prolonged period.

The priority of the summer, before Styvar's surprise exit, was a quality right sided midifielder. Sproule just hasnt proved consistent enough and Gavin Williams appears more comfortable central. We must recruit a quality right winger.

Finally we could still do with another central midfielder. It would appear we have been put off by Barnsley's de Silva valuation and are exploring other avenues.

All three of our signings to date have 'filled a hole' within the squad and you cannot ask or expect more than that. If we don't sign anyone else people will reflect on a disappointing summer, if we continue to fill the areas of need outlined above we'll be highly competitive and finish top six.

• Admin
So far so good.

We could have utilised the loan market for another goalkeeper however I do get the impression that this shall be Basso's last season with us - realistically we could be looking at a mere 5 footballing months of him left if we want a fee, and as such I am pleased to see a young goalkeeper with Championship experience come in.

Although McAllister had a poor season he certainly doesnt let anyone down. He did however need competition for his place and we have achieved this with Blackman.

Clarkson could prove a genuine, genuine, steal. £800k for a 23 year old International striker is, on paper, fantastic business. He has a decent scoring return for a poor team and his hard working nature should endear him to the fans.

BUT . . . .

we still desperately need more striking threats. Considering Johnson stated after the Clarkson signing that he was still after one, possibly two more strikers it should be assumed that Trundle is very much surplus to requirements. Johnson will no doubt respect Lee, unlike David Noble, for going elsewhere to get games but with Maynard and Clarkson ahead of him and with at least one more incoming player knocking him down another peg, the reality is that Trundle is fourth choice striker at best - discounting Akinde who should be sent on loan for a prolonged period.

The priority of the summer, before Styvar's surprise exit, was a quality right sided midifielder. Sproule just hasnt proved consistent enough and Gavin Williams appears more comfortable central. We must recruit a quality right winger.

Finally we could still do with another central midfielder. It would appear we have been put off by Barnsley's de Silva valuation and are exploring other avenues.

All three of our signings to date have 'filled a hole' within the squad and you cannot ask or expect more than that. If we don't sign anyone else people will reflect on a disappointing summer, if we continue to fill the areas of need outlined above we'll be highly competitive and finish top six.

Unless Gary's planning to opt for the 433 on most occasions this season? If that is the case then speedy full-backs capable of joining up with the attack such as Blackman & Ribs would be an asset.

Three pretty sound squad players but we are in dire need of top pedigree with 1) quality striker and 2) a goal scoring midfielder. GJ's interview on World doesn't fill me with any great hope that we're pushing the boat out to achieve either. With two such signings autos or play offs, without mid table at best. Go for it!

Some people continually underestimate the importance of getting a quality central midfielder in. IMO getting that right will have a bigger effect on our success next season than anything else by far. Our limitations there affected most of the rest of the team last season, it wouldn't have mattered if we'd had Pele up front and Messi on the wing with the narrow long game we were forced to play because of it. I'd like to see a line leading centre forward without signing a monster like Iwelumo for McCombe, Orr and McAllister to launch balls into orbit for, a leader to long term replace Carey and lastly a right winger who can do more than run fast, but those pale in comparison to the importance of getting the middle of the park right.

As I mentioned in another thread, I hope we sign 4 more players and listening to the Johnson interview, it sounded as if thats how many he had targeted. I would like to see;

A centre midfielder

A winger

Another winger who can also play up front i.e Scott Sinclair

A striker (Dele's replacement)

Archived