IGNORED

Championship Or Premier League ?

andy g

There' s still time for us to make some amazing signings and GJ has pulled off some amazing signings in the past...

But to me, signing Clarkson, Gerkin and the other one seem to be the signings of a club happy to stay in the championship, rather than one looking to challenge for the Premier League. Is that the future for us now ? Are we a mid-table championship club which flirts with the playoffs on every so often ? Or are we serious about challenging the big boys in our division ? The next few weeks will reveal the exents of our ambition...

I don't think the foundations are quite in place yet for us to be a Premier League team, I expect a big push in a few seasons which is why we're signing players for the future. I expect us to have a fantastic team in a few seasons when some of these youngsters come through.

disagree, all three signings are fairly young and could potentially turn into premier league players. whether it be with us is another question

I see where your coming from, and agree the "potential" is there. I like to think though, that wilth the "potential", he will bring in at least a couple of "experienced" players for the here and now.

I'm not one of these thats nieve enough to believe we can compete with the Sheffield Uniteds and Readings of the world, however I do believe, if we look, there are experienced players out there who can come in and do a decent job for us.

Unfortunately, in the world of football now...."Roy of the Rovers" style stories are few and far between. I really do believe, if the calibre of signings we have bought in so far are anything to go by, its going to be another frustrating season for us. I really hope I'm wrong

We fell away badly at the end of last season had it not been for a bit of effort around xmas things could of been far worse. I look at teams like Derby/Forest and others who are bringing in experienced players and WBA Middlesborough,Newcastle who will be hard to beat add them to teams who were above us last season and remain worried.

We have to stay in this league next season and for a few more seasons before we "push on".

A few more players for "the future" have come in to join the likes of Akinde who himself is hardly getting a chance.

A couple exp players now required to balance things

I'm still haunted by our finish to last season and I am hoping that we pull off some quality signings all over the park, but especially in the midfield, if not I fear we have a very very tough season ahead.

The signings so far have been one for the future, a gamble and a solid keeper, I hope the real quality comes next.

All good points and to be fair to GJ he's done wonders working with a squad with few superstars so far. Who would have though Marvin Elliott would turn out to be the player he is...

Crossing my fingers...

Gerken a good signing, we needed more Keeper cover...... :surrender:

Blackman.....a quick left sided player, cost nothing, so a player at 18 capable of reaching the top........no brainer... :fingerscrossed:

Clarkson..........23 best striker outside the big 2 clubs in scotland, just on the fringes of the International side and would of cost us probably double if he had a longer contract at Motherwell in place.......At 23 he still can learn a lot and develope into a really great signing, Hungry, Determined and a worker, Fans will Love him............ :icecream:

So please guys stop worrying, these are sensible signings without costing a fortune, My guess is GJ is still chasing the Quality we desperatley need, but these players are a lot harder to sign because other clubs will be chasing them aswell. .. :tumbleweed:

GJ and SL know we have to start offering more money to attract these players and if prem is the real goal then we as a club have no choice but to up the offers or we will fall even further behind in the wage league and never achieve the dream....... :preacher:

I don't buy into this consolidation argument. I really cannot see how such a strategy would work. it seems a dangerous one to me.

I mean it is clear Gary is trying to improve all the time so how do you improve just enough to stand still or hold yourself back? i think this is not something one can do with any surety and there is the danger you will actually go backwards. The signings we made last season did not to me show anything other than we want to go up as soon as possible and this season will be no different.

There' s still time for us to make some amazing signings and GJ has pulled off some amazing signings in the past...

But to me, signing Clarkson, Gerkin and the other one seem to be the signings of a club happy to stay in the championship, rather than one looking to challenge for the Premier League. Is that the future for us now ? Are we a mid-table championship club which flirts with the playoffs on every so often ? Or are we serious about challenging the big boys in our division ? The next few weeks will reveal the exents of our ambition...

andy g, that gotta be the cheesiest signature ever! please tell me you are joking.....

We're not ready for the Prem yet, but of course GJ and the lads will be trying to get there.

To put the Clarkson signing into perspective.......3rd top scorer in Scotland, 2 international apperances 1 goal - for something like £600-800k.

Burnley have just splashed out around £2.5m for Steven Fletcher. Two goals less than Clarkson last season, 4 international appearances 1 goal.

I wonder if the Burnley fans are slagging Coyle off, getting on Fletcher's back already. I'm guessing not.

Not saying you're slagging Clarky off Andy, but I've read some carp on here in the last day or two! Signing 'Premier League' class players (as I've read in other threads) is no guarantee that we'll go up! You could argue Sheffield United had half a dozen, or more, Premier League class players this time last year. They're still visiting the Gate this year. I'm happy with the signings made, areas that look weak have been strengthened. I'd love the last two to be an attacking midfielder and a right winger, then I think we can look forward to a good season.

We're not ready for the Prem yet, but of course GJ and the lads will be trying to get there.

To put the Clarkson signing into perspective.......3rd top scorer in Scotland, 2 international apperances 1 goal - for something like £600-800k.

Burnley have just splashed out around £2.5m for Steven Fletcher. Two goals less than Clarkson last season, 4 international appearances 1 goal.

I wonder if the Burnley fans are slagging Coyle off, getting on Fletcher's back already. I'm guessing not.

Not saying you're slagging Clarky off Andy, but I've read some carp on here in the last day or two! Signing 'Premier League' class players (as I've read in other threads) is no guarantee that we'll go up! You could argue Sheffield United had half a dozen, or more, Premier League class players this time last year. They're still visiting the Gate this year. I'm happy with the signings made, areas that look weak have been strengthened. I'd love the last two to be an attacking midfielder and a right winger, then I think we can look forward to a good season.

the LAST two?

We need at least a winger, a new centre midfielder and at least one, maybe TWO strikers. The new striker is apparently one who likes to play off a big man, and with John and Adebola leaving...means we have no real physical presence up top...this has to be addressed, just as our severe lack of creativity does. I feel we still need cover for centre back to.

Akinde....definately has potential, but to expect him to come in, and carry the responsibility that was shared amongst Stern and Dele last year, is not fair.....and, not possible.

Bascially, our squad wasnt strong enough last year, and with senior players leaving, along with Noble etc, our squad is, at present, WEAKER then ever.

If we don't bring in at least 3/4 QUALITY players for the HERE AND NOW, we will be in trouble next season

the LAST two?

We need at least a winger, a new centre midfielder and at least one, maybe TWO strikers. The new striker is apparently one who likes to play off a big man, and with John and Adebola leaving...means we have no real physical presence up top...this has to be addressed, just as our severe lack of creativity does. I feel we still need cover for centre back to.

Akinde....definately has potential, but to expect him to come in, and carry the responsibility that was shared amongst Stern and Dele last year, is not fair.....and, not possible.

Bascially, our squad wasnt strong enough last year, and with senior players leaving, along with Noble etc, our squad is, at present, WEAKER then ever.

If we don't bring in at least 3/4 QUALITY players for the HERE AND NOW, we will be in trouble next season

If you think this about the squad then you haven't been watching City very long! I don't remember the dark days of Div 4, but I've seen some crap in my 23 seasons, I'll tell ya!

I said last two as that is the feeling I got from GJ's interview on World yesterday. Some people have heard it differently and said 3 or 4 more. But agree, a new target man is needed also - but I'm not impressed with Sproule and the midfield could do with a spark in there.

From what GJ said last night it sounds like there are deadlines around deals, so we may get some more news today with it being 'back to school' for the lads.

If you think this about the squad then you haven't been watching City very long! I don't remember the dark days of Div 4, but I've seen some crap in my 23 seasons, I'll tell ya!

I said last two as that is the feeling I got from GJ's interview on World yesterday. Some people have heard it differently and said 3 or 4 more. But agree, a new target man is needed also - but I'm not impressed with Sproule and the midfield could do with a spark in there.

From what GJ said last night it sounds like there are deadlines around deals, so we may get some more news today with it being 'back to school' for the lads.

Maybe I should clarify what I mean...I meant the weakest its been since we came into this league. Were short on not just quality, but bodies aswell

Guest Eamer

At the moment, none of the signings have got me excited and they're not going to make us a force next season at the moment. Clarkson is the only one who'll realistically start regularly so our team is more or less unchanged right now. Just one new player replacing Adebola's spot. We need four new players who are ready to play NOW, not for the future but who can push us up the table right now.

Maybe I should clarify what I mean...I meant the weakest its been since we came into this league. Were short on not just quality, but bodies aswell

That makes more sense! But the lads now have two seasons of experience behind them - the defence hasn't changed at all from the promo team and I would say the attack is stronger. Central midfield is about on a par, but without an attacking force, McIndoe is an improvement on the L1 team - I would say only right wing is weaker.

All about opinions though mate!

At the moment, none of the signings have got me excited and they're not going to make us a force next season at the moment. Clarkson is the only one who'll realistically start regularly so our team is more or less unchanged right now. Just one new player replacing Adebola's spot. We need four new players who are ready to play NOW, not for the future but who can push us up the table right now.

You do have a reputation for being hard to please though mate!

That makes more sense! But the lads now have two seasons of experience behind them - the defence hasn't changed at all from the promo team and I would say the attack is stronger. Central midfield is about on a par, but without an attacking force, McIndoe is an improvement on the L1 team - I would say only right wing is weaker.

All about opinions though mate!

Experience yeah....but for me, what weve see of players like Sproule, Lee Johnson, Brian Wilson, McIndoe....is the best its going to get. They wont get any better then they are now....and unfortunately, the midfield is not good enough

I was surprised that we never looked to take Vasko on a permanent deal, big, strong, quick....was a real handful the season we made the play-offs.

Midfield and attack have pretty much struggled with the same things since we got promoted. We don't create and we struggle to score.

Fingers crossed Gary will shock us all and bring in a couple of new midfielders...

Can anyone name any players of "proven Premier League quality" signed by Wolves in the past couple of seasons?

Ebanks-Blake was a proven Championship player and about their biggest signing. Others such as Vokes, Keogh, Iwelumo, Kightly and Jarvis were exciting young players with little or no Championship experience.

I think Wolves will come straight back down but those exciting, young but unproven players did at least get them up.

Guest Eamer
You do have a reputation for being hard to please though mate!

So you know when I am excited that something is right.

I was one of the few saying Trundle was a bad signing straight away and was right. I was one of the few who said Elliott would be our best signing of the season we bought him and he was. I was the only one who said McCombe would be the best signing of the season we got him.

If I'm happy it usually seems to go pretty well :)

Clarkson seems average, promising but not proven class. The other two won't have an immediate effect which is what we need.

So you know when I am excited that something is right.

I was one of the few saying Trundle was a bad signing straight away and was right. I was one of the few who said Elliott would be our best signing of the season we bought him and he was. I was the only one who said McCombe would be the best signing of the season we got him.

If I'm happy it usually seems to go pretty well :)

Clarkson seems average, promising but not proven class. The other two won't have an immediate effect which is what we need.

Can't you pretend you're happy then, please??

Archived