IGNORED

Golbourne Joins From Reading

dargla

Skipped to Reading for more money and then bang joins lower league football with Exeter. When will many of our young uns stop listening to there agents.

don't knock it I'm sure he got a few quid out of it and some good experience on his CV. I was always suprised that Reading wanted him cos while I thought he was an ok player I never really thought he set the world alight.

League One is probably the right level for him in my opinion.

Maybe someone should tell Stambolsiv, has he actually got himself a club yet? Maybe football aint his thing.

I can't understand why a pro footballer who has come through the ranks decides to leave like that...Its their life I guess and he'll live to regret what his agent has brainwashed him with, but as you say, promising prospects who feel City is below their ability have never ever gone to do anything at all, maybe its a good thing these Ego players leave.

Skipped to Reading for more money and then bang joins lower league football with Exeter. When will many of our young uns stop listening to there agents.

If i remember correctly, it was not his choice :disapointed2se:

I am sure City pushed him into it, they took the money :innocent06:

Your being a bit harsh on scott golbourne. We did afterall accept an offer from reading, who were at the time a long way ahead of us. I think he had ambition in that move. Cant see how an agent would have made a difference

Just after the Portsmouth lad signed for us, I posted a brief comment on the relevant (Blackman) thread about Golbourne: I found it interesting that it had evidently been in our manager's mind to sign a young, promising, natural left back, yet he was apparently not tempted to re-sign Golbourne when he was released by Reading. This was before this news broke that he had gone to Exeter.

As I said in my other post, some years ago I happened to meet, quite by chance through our respective partners, a member of the Academy staff who was very firmly of the opinion that Golbourne was a Premier player in the making, and that he needed to move on to a Championship club (or higher) as soon as possible if his professional development was not going to be harmed. We were in League One at the time and I think Tinnion was still manager. It was certainly before Johnson took over. The implication was that young players with potential were wasting their time staying at City and even risking their careers to some degree.

I don't know if the guy still works for the Academy, but I'd love to know what thinks now. Golbourne was making regular first team appearances here before he left - whether of his own volition or otherwise - and was also a more-or-less automatic choice at left back for his country for a time, if my memory is correct. It would be very hard now to make a case that he had been well-advised to move on, in the light of subsequent developments. Others have gone down the same road: Anyinsah springs to mind as one example. Young Stambolsiev might do well to reflect on this, although in fairness I must say I do share the concerns of other contributors to the site about a seeming reluctance over the last couple of seasons to give youth a chance at first team level.

Just after the Portsmouth lad signed for us, I posted a brief comment on the relevant (Blackman) thread about Golbourne: I found it interesting that it had evidently been in our manager's mind to sign a young, promising, natural left back, yet he was apparently not tempted to re-sign Golbourne when he was released by Reading. This was before this news broke that he had gone to Exeter.

As I said in my other post, some years ago I happened to meet, quite by chance through our respective partners, a member of the Academy staff who was very firmly of the opinion that Golbourne was a Premier player in the making, and that he needed to move on to a Championship club (or higher) as soon as possible if his professional development was not going to be harmed. We were in League One at the time and I think Tinnion was still manager. It was certainly before Johnson took over. The implication was that young players with potential were wasting their time staying at City and even risking their careers to some degree.

I don't know if the guy still works for the Academy, but I'd love to know what thinks now. Golbourne was making regular first team appearances here before he left - whether of his own volition or otherwise - and was also a more-or-less automatic choice at left back for his country for a time, if my memory is correct. It would be very hard now to make a case that he had been well-advised to move on, in the light of subsequent developments. Others have gone down the same road: Anyinsah springs to mind as one example. Young Stambolsiev might do well to reflect on this, although in fairness I must say I do share the concerns of other contributors to the site about a seeming reluctance over the last couple of seasons to give youth a chance at first team level.

Some you win, some you lose. Was Liam Rosenior right to leave? Lita? Cotterill? (Yes i know we sold the last two).

Scott did OK for a young 'un at Reading, and even played in the Premier league,

until injury forced him to miss nearly a season.

He had been told he was being lined up to replace Villa bound Nicky Shorey,

but never recovered to challenge for a first team place.

Had a succesful loan spell at Oldham last season.

Good luck at Exeter :fingerscrossed:

Good luck at Exeter :fingerscrossed:

St. James Park fast becoming a haven for ex-City players/loanees:

Edwards

Russell

Stewart

Tisdale

Harley

Golbourne

Corr (was it Orient away in the LDV where he scored? I think there were about 14 of us there)

I have a feeling, and certainly hope anyway, that we may see a slight shift in policy from GJ this season on the youth front. I felt he could have done a lot more in terms of giving younger players a game at the end of last season (although I can understand a manager only wanting to give youngsters who he is sure are "Championship Standard" a game). Our Academy has hardly produced an endless stream of talent at this standard has it?

I have a feeling, and certainly hope anyway, that we may see a slight shift in policy from GJ this season on the youth front. I felt he could have done a lot more in terms of giving younger players a game at the end of last season (although I can understand a manager only wanting to give youngsters who he is sure are "Championship Standard" a game). Our Academy has hardly produced an endless stream of talent at this standard has it?

I hope you're right, Greebo. It's not that anyone expects Wilson, Ribeiro, Artus and others at that stage of their careers to nail down regular first team spots so soon, but you do feel they should be at least on the bench from time to time, getting the feel of being part of the first team set-up, making the occasional sub appearance and perhaps even getting a start if we happen to draw weak opposition in a cup game and it's felt we can afford to rest one or two seniors.

Most fans appreciate that it can be a fine line between holding a player back too long and damaging confidence by throwing him in at the deep end, but there must come a point at which it can get disheartening for these lads - especially when they see players of similar age and experience signing from elsewhere. You can only improve so much in the reserves - or out on loan for that matter. I will be disappointed if we don't see a slightly less cautious attitude to blooding young talent in the forthcoming season.

Archived