IGNORED

I Think I'm Getting Deja Vu...

Red_Mat

I think I'm getting deja vu...

Mid-70's: Increasingly spoilt fans start to become more frustrated with popular boss. he starts to develop a team, which given a bit of time - a few seasons - is built increasingly around a backbone of experienced Scots and talented youngsters. After a few years of developing and improving, eventually the team is led to the Promised Land .

Fast forward 35 years

Gary Johnson now has a side including experienced Scots Jamie McAllister, Michael McIndoe(possibly), David Clarkson, Paul Hartley, as well as youngsters such as Stephen Henderson, Christian Ribeiro, James Wilson, Jordan Walker, Andre Blackman, Ashley Kington, Frankie Artus, Joe Edwards, Tristan Plummer, Cole Skuse, Marlon Jackson, John Akinde...many of them raised locally.

Mid-70's: Increasingly spoilt fans start to become more frustrated with popular boss. he starts to develop a team, which given a bit of time - a few seasons - is built increasingly around a backbone of experienced Scots and talented youngsters. After a few years of developing and improving, eventually the team is led to the Promised Land .

Fast forward 35 years

Gary Johnson now has a side including experienced Scots Jamie McAllister, Michael McIndoe(possibly), David Clarkson, Paul Hartley, as well as youngsters such as Stephen Henderson, Christian Ribeiro, James Wilson, Jordan Walker, Andre Blackman, Ashley Kington, Frankie Artus, Joe Edwards, Tristan Plummer, Cole Skuse, Marlon Jackson, John Akinde...many of them raised locally.

Your comparison is a good one. There are genuine similarities developing, Scots or not. Even better I never miss the chance to recall the chants of "Dicks Out!" :innocent06:

Fast forward 35 years

Do you know i had exactly the same conversation with a mate on Tuesday.....

I think it's interesting how GJ and SL are developing the squad very similarly to Alan Dicks. It's not a case of 'promotion or bust', each season is seen as a development. And I don't necessarily think this season, or next will be any different.

I'd like to see us in the top half again this year, but I won't be too disappointed if we aren't. It will give us a chance to progress some more, and I think it'll be the year after before we're challenging hard again for automatic or play-off.

Each year is a chance for youngsters to develop and for GJ to gel the squad he wants to succeed at the top level.

I think it's interesting how GJ and SL are developing the squad very similarly to Alan Dicks. It's not a case of 'promotion or bust', each season is seen as a development. And I don't necessarily think this season, or next will be any different.

I'd like to see us in the top half again this year, but I won't be too disappointed if we aren't. It will give us a chance to progress some more, and I think it'll be the year after before we're challenging hard again for automatic or play-off.

Each year is a chance for youngsters to develop and for GJ to gel the squad he wants to succeed at the top level.

Blimey you really are a consolidator happy chappy. Refreshing i suppose but i think we will do a lot better than this.

Blimey you really are a consolidator happy chappy. Refreshing i suppose but i think we will do a lot better than this.

I'll be happy if we finish top! Christ on a bike, in fact i'd be ecstatic!

However, yeah, I'd be fairly content with a top half finish - especially when you look at the likely strength of the division this coming season. The three teams coming down will all be good, as will Leicester coming up, plus Derby, Forest, Ipswich and Sheffield United all investing heavily. And more or less everyone who was around the top last year.

Nothing wrong with consolidation.

Fast forward 35 years

All we need now is a wide-eyed friizzy-haired lunatic jock dominating the midfield every week and were there, happy days

Nothing wrong with consolidation this season - it's more the way we go about it. Last year, with the squad we had, we had to set ourselves up defensively, play percentages football (knocking long balls into channels whenever we were under any kind of pressure) and grind out results which led to much frustration as we drew many home matches without seemingly going for the throat.

I have a feeling that we will see a more youthful side this time out playing a lot more football and hopefully with some experience like Hartley in the middle of the park to show them the way. If we finish tenth again and successfully change our style to a more attacking one and with young players 30 or 40 odd matches more experienced by May then I will see this season as very much a success.

I'll probably be told I lack ambition now!!

Fast forward 35 years

That may be true, but times have moved on dramatically since the 70s. In those days, you built a squad to get you promotion, and then when you get there, that squad, with one or two signings, would be good enough to have a crack at the top flight. These days, when a team gets promoted to the Premier League, they get a squillion squid thrown at it and the whole team is changed overnight with Premeirship big time charlies, and foreign superstars. Look at Hull last season, got promoted and then went out and bought 11 players, and even then only just survived. Burnley this summer are splashing the cash like there is no tomorrow, making a bid on anybody who can tie his own shoelaces. Does anybody really believe that we would be any different, and then of course with the inevitable relegation within two years, we are firmly back to square one.

That may be true, but times have moved on dramatically since the 70s. In those days, you built a squad to get you promotion, and then when you get there, that squad, with one or two signings, would be good enough to have a crack at the top flight. These days, when a team gets promoted to the Premier League, they get a squillion squid thrown at it and the whole team is changed overnight with Premeirship big time charlies, and foreign superstars. Look at Hull last season, got promoted and then went out and bought 11 players, and even then only just survived. Burnley this summer are splashing the cash like there is no tomorrow, making a bid on anybody who can tie his own shoelaces. Does anybody really believe that we would be any different, and then of course with the inevitable relegation within two years, we are firmly back to square one.

a nice realistic post kingpin - but as a supporter you have to have faith currently I feel that we have 5 players that could be in a Premier League team with 3 or 4 more give progression. So I think when we do go up we'll bring in 6 or 7 premierhsip quality players and scrape by.

It's all about the new stadium - to sustain premier league status we need more season card holders, coporate hosptality and sponsorship so SL is doing everything bang on IMO this season I feel will be a bit dissapointing but as we get closer to the new stadium I expect SL will invest in suitably qualified players to get us there.

Your comparison is a good one. There are genuine similarities developing, Scots or not. Even better I never miss the chance to recall the chants of "Dicks Out!" :innocent06:

You just reminded me of a personal low point in my City-following Career. I was a student in Manchester and so couldn't get a ticket for the tie against Liverpool the season when we went down so I got a ticket in the Scouse End (the old Open End, now the Ateyo for you young' uns).

Liverpool were cruising and we were obviously going to get relegated when the cry went up from the other three sides of the ground "Dicks Out". After a while, the Scousers all around me stopped their own singing and started listening, then they started having conversations around me along the lines of;

Scouser 1 "What are they singing?"

Scouser 2 "I think they are saying 'Dicks Out'"

At which point many of them joined in the chanting and, I am still traumatized as I recall this, even all these years later, many 'obeyed the instruction'.

The combination of a certain defeat in the match, the certainty of relegation in the near future, a 5 hour coach trip back to Manchester, of 30,000 (you could stand in them days) voices from both sides chanting "Dicks out" and then these Scousers doing just that all around me, was almost too much to bear!

Fast forward 35 years

We've certainly come a very long way with Gary Johnson at the helm of the good ship BCFC. Who'd have thought - when Gary Johnson took over - that we'd soon sign a midfielder that had shared the same stage as Gattuso in a European Cup football match???!!!....

610x.jpg

We've certainly come a very long way with Gary Johnson at the helm of the good ship BCFC. Who'd have thought - when Gary Johnson took over - that we'd soon sign a midfielder that had shared the same stage as Gattuso in a European Cup football match???!!!....

610x.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Tommy Doc share the same stage as Gattuso in an international between N Ireland and Italy? It was a draw I think??

On the issue of youngsters and paving the way for the future, I really hope that some of them excel in this league. I'd like nothing more than to see the 'Johnson Juniors', including Blackman, Ribeiro, Wilson and Henderson, become a force to be reckoned with. The fact that Maynard, Elliott and Fontaine all have their best years ahead of them makes I very optimistic!

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Tommy Doc share the same stage as Gattuso in an international between N Ireland and Italy? It was a draw I think??

You're probably right, just a shame our very own Tommy D didn't realise his true potential while with us as I really believed he'd help take BCFC to the top flight.

You're probably right, just a shame our very own Tommy D didn't realise his true potential while with us as I really believed he'd help take BCFC to the top flight.

He was a favourite of mine - a fiery, beardy, snapper with class and composure. Then he went into decline.

You can take the boy out of Bedminster...

He was a favourite of mine - a fiery, beardy, snapper with class and composure. Then he went into decline.

You can take the boy out of Bedminster...

He was a favourite of mine too. Tommy D looks extremely fit for Wycombe in the piccie below and the spitting image of Gattuso and Hartley.......and don't forget we've got a pre season friendly against Wycombe to view the footballing star that hailed from BS3.....

tommy-doherty_2225837.jpg

On the issue of youngsters and paving the way for the future, I really hope that some of them excel in this league. I'd like nothing more than to see the 'Johnson Juniors', including Blackman, Ribeiro, Wilson and Henderson, become a force to be reckoned with. The fact that Maynard, Elliott and Fontaine all have their best years ahead of them makes I very optimistic!

Johnson's Juniors; I like it! We should trademark that: TM.

If Busby can have his babes, and Fergie can have his fledglings (what was 'fledgling' all about?!?), then Johnson's Juniors sounds as good.

Henderson, Walker, Edwards, Ribeiro, Wilson, Fontaine, Blackman, Kington, Artus, Skuse, Plummer, Akinde, Jackson.

There could be a half decent team amongst that lot!

Archived