IGNORED

Experience, What Does It Mean To You?

bornandbred

Hello Friends

New poster here, please be gentle.

Just wondering how you interpret the phrase "experienced player"

Do you subscribe to the age related camp or is your ball in the number of games played court.

Thoughts please

I think it's good but nowhere near as important as fans, managers, players, pundits etc. make out that it is.

For example i think that the England U21s could destroy our league yet they have no 'experience' which people seem to think is sooo important.

I'd say general knowledge of the game from a wide range of different circumstances such as playing in a winning and losing side, winning promo and relegation. Instances that put you in a better position to tackle the same issue in the future.

I think experience comes generally with games played which often but not always comes with age. If you look at Gerken, Johnson says he is experienced. He's only 24 but has been a first choice keeper in both Championship and League one, experiencing promotion and relegation since he was 17 or 18. Thats 5,6,7 years and a lot of games.

I'd say general knowledge of the game from a wide range of different circumstances such as playing in a winning and losing side, winning promo and relegation. Instances that put you in a better position to tackle the same issue in the future.

I think experience comes generally with games played which often but not always comes with age. If you look at Gerken, Johnson says he is experienced. He's only 24 but has been a first choice keeper in both Championship and League one, experiencing promotion and relegation since he was 17 or 18. Thats 5,6,7 years and a lot of games.

Years of hard work and a constant learning curve,

Then you can have the rug pulled out from under you by some young punk who thinks they know it all and will do the same for 50% less. :noexpression:

Experience costs, it is worth it.

Hello Friends

Just wondering how you interpret the phrase "experienced player"

Do you subscribe to the age related camp or is your ball in the number of games played court.

Thoughts please

Hi

How would you interpret it?

You can't really subscribe to just one camp, they are inextricably linked.

The best thing to do is study the word Experience and draw your own interpretation, or are you trolling?

pretty much agree with you robbo..... nice to know there are like minded people out there

going out drinking 10 pints getiing home late knowing full well you bird is going to go mental but feeling so cockey falling with the mouth then going asleep on the sofa and then getting a royal rollacking in the morning and backpedalling from all the macho responses the night before promising you'll never do it again knowing 6 days later repeat!

going out drinking 10 pints getiing home late knowing full well you bird is going to go mental but feeling so cockey falling with the mouth then going asleep on the sofa and then getting a royal rollacking in the morning and backpedalling from all the macho responses the night before promising you'll never do it again knowing 6 days later repeat!

ah i remember those days

Guest Eamer

I'd say Ryan Giggs is experienced but then I'd also say Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney are experienced players too. Wouldn't put it purely down to age but what they've established in their career to-date.

In any walk of life for me experience is not just about time done. It's about actually learning from it and applying that learning to constantly improve. The number of people (including footballers and managers) who do that is relatively small in my experience. Most just carry on doing things the way they've always done them because... well that's the way they've always done them. Somebody like Giggs has longevity because he has learned to do things differently from when he was young. Likewise Sir Alex who has learned to adapt the way his team plays as times changed and is not too proud to learn from others. For instance I was reading yesterday that as far as he's concerned 4-4-2 is dead, inconceivable in English football until recently. I find that admirable.

In any walk of life for me experience is not just about time done. It's about actually learning from it and applying that learning to constantly improve. The number of people (including footballers and managers) who do that is relatively small in my experience. Most just carry on doing things the way they've always done them because... well that's the way they've always done them. Somebody like Giggs has longevity because he has learned to do things differently from when he was young. Likewise Sir Alex who has learned to adapt the way his team plays as times changed and is not too proud to learn from others. For instance I was reading yesterday that as far as he's concerned 4-4-2 is dead, inconceivable in English football until recently. I find that admirable.

I concur with everything that has been said.

life in gerneral is a university and everybody learns lesssons and therefore experience is gained.

Likewise a footballer what to do in certain cicumstances and the options available to him which a young player can learn without reaching "elder statesman " status

I think experience is only learnt with playing games, in differing situations, playoffs, promotions, relegation, winning and losing ect, which in turn allows any given player to draw on past events in order to aid them to use said experience, in turn allowing them to take the correct manouver preventing or correcting an erronous mistake or playing the better pass/shot.

For me although I couldn't possibley quantify it, a fair percentage of football skill is natural, then a fair bit is taught by good coaching then a percentage of experience will give a player that extra bit of edge.

Guest MaloneFM

Hello chummy.

New here are we? New cap and blazer and all that? Well I am your uncle Roger and should you need guidance from the when the sticklebacks of life wind up in the tiddler net of experience then feel free to sit at uncles feet to learn.

Till then, couldn't lend me a fiver could you? I'm borassic lint....

Experience is such a relative topic.Take Michael McIndoe. He is highly experienced at banking signing on fees and negotiating contracts.More clubs than Jack Nicklaus and Peter Stringfellow combined, he makes Paris Hilton look like a stay-at-home!!

Didn't have enough experience to comprehend that a wee arrogant Scottish fella is no match for a flamin' Nick Carle sunbed southpaw.

You see experience is relative.....

Hello chummy.

New here are we? New cap and blazer and all that? Well I am your uncle Roger and should you need guidance from the when the sticklebacks of life wind up in the tiddler net of experience then feel free to sit at uncles feet to learn.

Till then, couldn't lend me a fiver could you? I'm borassic lint....

experience has taught me to never be a lender or borrower be.... so sorry

Guest MaloneFM
experience has taught me to never be a lender or borrower be.... so sorry

And experience has taught me that there are bigger chaps on here who would take great satisfaction on taking you into the toilets to show you the magic goldfish that lives there.

Come running to me after waving a fiver with bits of soggy Andrex in your wet hair and see what happens.... :disapointed2se:

(I'll still have the fiver)

What chinapig said. Except for the last bit.

chinapig, there is nothing nothing nothing admirable about Sally Ferguson.

Go to bed tonight and repeat the words "There is nothing admirable about Sally Ferguson" until you fall asleep into the stuff of nightmares.

What chinapig said. Except for the last bit.

chinapig, there is nothing nothing nothing admirable about Sally Ferguson.

Go to bed tonight and repeat the words "There is nothing admirable about Sally Ferguson" until you fall asleep into the stuff of nightmares.

I tried but ended up dreaming about Melvyn Bragg. :sweatingbullets::grr::blush: If it happens again I shall be sending you my psychiatrist bills. :innocent06:

Archived