IGNORED

Wingers...

...the essential ingredient to our creativity, attacking flair and ultimate goal scoring treat?

Esp' when they stay out wide, play with confidence and backed by the AG roar (a la Mark Gavin & Dave "smudger" Smith late 80's).

Anyway, despite some of his short comings i have been an admirer of MM and will be sad should/when he goes.

Sproule is yet to consistently convince me and i believe we really needed a quality RW last season to kick on as a team and provide true competition for the road runner.

Hence my growing apprehension that we may soon lack that true winger inspiration & flair. We need that extra dimension ...to beat a man, get in behind and create chances when defensive unit is exposed and facing their own goal.

Yes early speculation (Yeates, Martin) and seemingly genuine interest from us gave me hope we will build on what we had got.

But now i'm becoming a tad anxious. With MM seemingly inevitable exit and what appears to me just pure speculation and wishful thinking re potential future targets (Scott Sinclair, Cotts, Chris Taylor of Oldham) i fear we may start this next campaign lacking even further in this department.

I personally would be delighted with any (or all!) of the above three but i'm yet to see any true evidence of interest from us.

Do you agree and what iminent views do you think GJ has? Any assurances most welcome!!

I'd like to think City were after a pair of wingers even before news of McIndoe's supposed impending departure.

We've lost out on Yeates and apparently Martin - the ideal sounding Yeates being the bigger loss in my view - and Sinclair, whose preferred position may be as a more central forward anyway, looks unlikely.

If McIndoe goes you'd have to assume that at the very least a Championship class replacement left winger is a lined-up certainty.

On the right Sproule is nowhere near good enough for a Championship starting place and even his substitute appearances are hit and miss and mostly ineffective. He really needs to be replaced and it's a bit of a surprise and concern that GJ is to give him yet another season. He's hardly a youngster and unlikely to improve his disasterously wayward final ball or frustratingly poor decision making at his age after the last 2 season's of coaching have done nothing to improve them.

Taylor and Cotterill sound ideal signings, both young but with a fair amount of experience and age on their side to improve further.

I'd be more than happy with those two, but if we can't get them the cupboard is beginning to look a bit bare, and last minute unknown foreign trialists may be the most likely wide squad fillers come August.

Mcindoe going is a loss I think good player at this level. Yes wasnt as good last season as his first season but that can be said about a few of our players.

As for Sproule like someone else has stated just isnt good enough very inconsistant, cant cross, predictable and terrible positional sense. You need more than just pace at this level and sproule doesnt seem to have much more than that sadly.

IMO two wingers should be the main priority that is providing we sign Hartley.

Archived