IGNORED

Bristol City

Big Jon

The thing I like about 3-5-2 is that it can so easlily be shifted around to counter how a game is panning out, or at least to dictate periods of play in a different fashion. For example, an attacking 3-5-2 can be quickly reverted to a 5-3-2 with the wingers sitting back if the ebb and flow of the game so dictates. You can frustrate your opponent by appearing as a 3-5-2 but actually holding tight with the wingers for 10-15 mins soaking up possesion and then break out with the wingers for the next 10 or so mins. It offers the chance to mess around with the opponents expectations of how you are going to be playing and allows you to adapt to periods of pressue from the oppostition. 4-4-2 is far more ridgid in my opinion and doesnt offer the same kind of versatility during the 'in-game' play.

How goods this Blackman then ? you must have watched him play a few times to have him straight into your team?

This was what i would have liked to see in pre season then rememberd he has an ankle ingrey so i put a 442 formation up instead

it has to be 442

gk basso

lb mccailster

rb orr

cb carey ©

cb fontaine

lm taylor :fingerscrossed:

rm spoule

cm elliott

cm hartley

cf maynard

cf clarkson

I agree with the 4-4-2. Definately need width and attacking options from the wing. It adds depth to the play rather than just heading down the middle. I think Williams would offer competition for the RM slot though.

LB would depend on how Blackman settles in and whether he proves himself as a regular by performing consistantly.

I agree with the 4-4-2. Definately need width and attacking options from the wing. It adds depth to the play rather than just heading down the middle. I think Williams would offer competition for the RM slot though.

LB would depend on how Blackman settles in and whether he proves himself as a regular by performing consistantly.

i agree about williams out wide now we have a fairly well balanced centre midfield and both clarkson and maynard aren't afraid of chasing the ball down and putting in the odd tackle I'm hoping our wingers will stay out wide and not drift into middle because williams has enough ability to play out wide the only problem was he was always in the middle when asked to play out wide same as mcindoe and it got to congested last season

as for dre you no one can say if he is good enough to be a regular in the side untill we and more importantly gj sees him play a few games untill then mcailster gets the nod

I'd have no issue with playing 433 for the reasons you state (it can become 451 quickly and it's more fluid) IF we had the players, but we are three short assuming McIndoe leaves (two top quality goal scoring wingers who can defend and a powerful forward), and we'd have to leave out two expensive signings in Maynard and Clarkson. What we can't do is play two small strikers and Sproule at the head of a 433, we'll get murdered.

You keep going on like you are some expert. Where are we going to find 2 top quality goal scoring wingres who can defend? You don't just have to play the 433 like mourinhos chelsea. Why would we have to leave out maynard and clarkson?

Yes. So? Just because most of the players we moved on were poor for us doesn't mean we shouldn't replace them with better does it?

We were short of players last season and as a result played players out of position several times. Our squad as I see it now:

First teamers:

Marvin Elliott

Liam Fontaine

Adriano Basso

Louis Carey

Nicky Maynard

Jamie McAllister *

Bradley Orr

Cole Skuse

Ivan Sproule

Gavin Williams

Paul Hartley

David Clarkson

Backup:

Dean Gerken

John Akinde

Jamie McCombe *

Lee Johnson *

James Wilson

Christian Ribeiro

Brian Wilson *

Not wanted:

Lee Trundle

Michael McIndoe

Won't get near the first team yet:

Stephen Henderson

Jordan Walker

Tristan Plummer

Ashley Kington

Frankie Artus

Andre Blackman

Joe Edwards

Marlon Jackson

We might lose two more if McIndoe goes and someone wants Trundle.

I'd move the four marked* on anyway as I believe they are not good enough to progress and cannot become so.

It's not exactly a big squad when you ignore the kids who might as well be listed under youth?

433 was an excuse last season not a design choice IMO.

I'll be surprised if we don't line up 442 on day one.

McIndoe must be replaced. McAllister was very poor last season, gave the ball away countless times, can't pass, one footed, and hot headed. Imagine what McIndoe could have done if he'd had a full back who could at least dummy an overlap and pass 20 yards on the floor. Real weak link IMO.

Yeah, I'd like to see a powerful striker to give us an option up front as well, as long as they are a goal threat not a lump.

Agree fully, but I think mccombe should be given another chance because i think he was good 1st season in championship, and struggled last season because he wasnt fully fit

You keep going on like you are some expert. Where are we going to find 2 top quality goal scoring wingres who can defend? You don't just have to play the 433 like mourinhos chelsea. Why would we have to leave out maynard and clarkson?

I'm not an expert, that would imply this is hard to understand and it isn't.

Who plays 433 successfully? The very top clubs in Europe.

Why? Because the system relies on having players capable of doing several jobs, that's it's strength.

Do we have players capable of that? Nope. Maynard isn't going to defend an overlap and make 10 assists a season from crosses, Sproule isn't going to score 10 and defend... I haven't seen Clarkson play but the descriptions of him from scotland do not sound like he can play wide or lead the line either.

Very few clubs have players that can play the system well.

The fact that people are talking about Real, Barca, Man U not Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Preston proves this IMO.

So why on earth is it going to work for us?

Agree fully, but I think mccombe should be given another chance because i think he was good 1st season in championship, and struggled last season because he wasnt fully fit

Yeah possibly a bit harsh on McCombe but I think he is fairly limited. Great in the air but that is only really a matchwinner a couple of times a season IMO, I think he gets done by pace too easily.

Why? Because the system relies on having players capable of doing several jobs, that's it's strength.

Do we have players capable of that? Nope. Maynard isn't going to defend an overlap and make 10 assists a season from crosses, Sproule isn't going to score 10 and defend... I haven't seen Clarkson play but the descriptions of him from scotland do not sound like he can play wide or lead the line either.

The fact that people are talking about Real, Barca, Man U not Sheff Utd, Cardiff and Preston proves this IMO.

I'm not sure it will work, it might for say a 3/4 game spell.

we need a couple of wingers then we can play 442 or 433, at the moment if mm goes we are left with 1 wide man and thats causing a problem.

Bang on Nibor - I said on a similar thread that we aren't chelski and that we should play 442 and home and 451 away for top teams and 442 away for bottom teams - it's not rocket science, why are people trying to reinvent the wheel

GJ might opt to use wingbacks this season, so my thoughts on the team are as follows:-

Basso

J Wilson/New Player Carey Fontaine

Orr McAlister

Hartley

Williams Eliott

Maynard/Clarkson Jan V of Hell/New Signing

Subs:-

Goalkeepers: Gerken/Henderson

Wing backs: B Wilson/Reberio/Blackman

Defenders: McCombe/(Poss J Wilson)

Midfielders: Skuse/Artus/Johnson

Wingers: Sproule

Strikers: Akinde/Trundle/ (Poss Maynard/Clarkson)

With this formation it really show how light we are on players to play in Central Defence. We definately need a striker hopefully Jan V, but we sure need a quality center half as well.

Did G J not experiment with a 3-5-2 toward the end of last season?

However, considering that LJ is certainly going to be always playing if fit, and that if McIndoe is probably sold, there wont be a decent winger; maybe it is time to experiment with an "argie" style 4-3-1-2; with LJ as the forward central playmaker - afterall he has great first touch and can play the short pass to split open an opposing defence? This also means you could have 2 box to box midfielders (Hartlet Elliot) and Skuse as a DM.

My team would therefore be:

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine New Signing

Hartley Skuse Elliot

***Johson (or Williams)***

<---Maynard (or Clarkson) Jan V of H---->

My team would be:

.....Basso............

......Orr....Carey.....Fontaine..........

Sproule.....Blackman........

...Marv...Skuse/Hartley.....

.........Williams/Hartley....

...Maynard/Akinde....Clarkson......

Subs:

Henderson

McCombe

McAllister

Johnson

Other midfielder left from above team

Other Striker

New Striker*

I do however feel that to make this team as best as possible we need a couple of wingers to be bought on and a big lump up front and perhaps a centre back cover. Shopping list;

*Winger

*Winger

*Target man

*Centre back cover

But thats for everything to be as amazing as possible

Archived