IGNORED

Could Sproule Play On The Left?

westy

Sproule's way of getting past defenders tends to be kick it behind them and chase after it and his crossing is relatively poor so from the left could cut inside and pick out a striker with an easy pass - would it be a good way of utilising his pace and filling a difficult position (if MM goes) and then we could concentrate on getting a better quality RW

Sproule's way of getting past defenders tends to be kick it behind them and chase after it and his crossing is relatively poor so from the left could cut inside and pick out a striker with an easy pass - would it be a good way of utilising his pace and filling a difficult position (if MM goes) and then we could concentrate on getting a better quality RW

To be honest I would be very disappointed if Sproule gets much game time this coming season.

I don't see him as much of a footballer at this level.

I wouldn't discount this suggestion, didn't he score his first goal at the gate after a mazey run from right to left and cutting back inside to plant it in the far right corner.

To be honest I would be very disappointed if Sproule gets much game time this coming season.

I don't see him as much of a footballer at this level.

Ivan has one of the most deadliest weapons a footballer can have......PACE - We just never play to make the most of that advantage

I agree his pace is scary but what else does he have?

The pace alone means opponents HAVE to consider the threat and possibly make changes to counter it..........but we don't play to that advantage ...we give him the ball so he still has to beat one or two ........

I say stick it in behind the fullbacks now & then and give Sproule something to run onto...we may even get some crosses from the byeline for a change

I think the more relavent question is can he play on the right and perform to a consistent standard for this division.

Jeez....I feel sorry for LT then...he don't even have the pace :noexpression:

:rofl2br:

Take your point about getting behind defences like Tins/Scotty in their prime but Scotty was a better footballer whilst being very quick as well.

The pace alone means opponents HAVE to consider the threat and possibly make changes to counter it..........but we don't play to that advantage ...we give him the ball so he still has to beat one or two ........

I say stick it in behind the fullbacks now & then and give Sproule something to run onto...we may even get some crosses from the byeline for a change

Hang on a minute "we give him the ball so he still has to beat one or two" Ahhh, poor Ivan, is it all a bit too difficult for him, is'nt that what a winger is supposed to do.

We could play the ball behind the full back if Sproule was clever enough to make the run, but he is'nt, he is far too busy getting in Orr's way in the full back position.

The opposition would soon "suss" out our tactics anyway and just play deeper.

Sorry, but our wingers need to be as bit more clever and show a lot more ability, they are there to get to the line and deliver quality crosses, Sproule has never demonstrated that he is able to do this

Its important to have as many attributes to use as possible within the 1st team. Sure, Sproule doesn't have the ball skill or technique of Trundle, and if he did I expect he would be playing for a top 4 Prem club. Likewise if Trundle was a quick as Sproule....omg, just think.

Sproule coming on with 15 mins to go is not what a knackered left back wants to see. He can hurt you.

Oh, as for him playing on the left, Hmmm well it would work in a 4-3-3 better, not a 4-4-2, would be too much responsibility for him, he would get turned inside out and unable to use the width because he would naturally drift in.

In a front 3 this may be an advantage as he might more likely to test the keeper himself coming in on his right foot.

Here we go again slagging of our own players. Football is all about confidence and if sproule reads the comments on here he isnt going to have the confidence to play his game. Especially wingers. just get behind him and I'm sure your see a change. He's shown that he has ability i feel its part of the fans job to bring it out in him. I think now with hartley in the squad pulling the strings your see a different sproule, the way tinnion used to help scotty. He needs a spell of 8-10 games, get his confidence up and we will benefit.Johnson see's him in training every day and I'm sure if he thought he wasnt up to it he would be gone.The crossing is sometimes about confidence as well so hopefully he will set up alot more goals this season. Get behind the team! Just remember how you feel when you get moaned at and critisised in your job, it cant help inspire your best work/game.

I've said it a lot about Ivan. I think he is a very effective member of the machine.

Despite him personally creating very little, and his crossing being shocking at best, I think he forces us to play in a more aggressive and attacking style.

Defenders s**t themselves when he runs at them, despite his evident lack of effectiveness. We've often seen him become the focus of the best opposition defender, and often seen the opposition centre halves attracted to the right hand side to try help nulify the percieved threat of Sproule. This, in turn creates so many more spaces for our more effective central players to operate in.

I'd honestly say that we play our best stuff when Ivan is in the side. I know its a very long winded way of seeing the benifits of having him in the side, But pace does scare defences. Ivan would be one of my garunteed starts if i was in charge because of the way he shapes games. without him in the side we lose the element of danger and pace and also lose the sense of urgency and threat. I prefer to watch the game when Ivan is in the side, as chances seem to come much more consistently throughout the pitch when he is on.

he's also bloody good at tracking back.

To be honest the way MM played last year ie cutting in, it might aswell have been Ivan on the left at least when he dropped his shoulder and cut in Ivan would have the ball immediatley on his right peg and the angle would have been for a right footer

playing on the left is something Gj should try with Sproule, we know he is very quick, he cant cross the ball, so his pace would naturally give him the opportunity to go 1 on 1 with keeper coming in from the left, splitting thier defence and creating space for others.

We wont know unless GJ tries it........

It could be the making of him....

The frustrating thing with Sproule is he always wants the ball to feet rather than running in behind the full back like Scotty used to do so well, I suppose Scotty had Tins putting on a sixpence for him but I always get frustrated watching Sproule stand and wait for the ball rather than hit the space, perhaps Hartley could have an influence on him and the way he plays and the runs he makes.

So frustrating as hes stupidly fast.

I think Sproule definitley improved last season on what we saw of him in 07/08. He's obviously considered an important part of the squad as he's just been handed a new contract.

I think he does bring a lot to the side, his pace being the obvious aspect, but also believe that he does have the ability to bring more to the game than just that, and if we can get the best out of that this season I will be very happy. If he can improve his distribution and delivery from the wide areas he would be a real threat - let's hope he's been training hard!

Here we go again slagging of our own players. Football is all about confidence and if sproule reads the comments on here he isnt going to have the confidence to play his game. Especially wingers. just get behind him and I'm sure your see a change. He's shown that he has ability i feel its part of the fans job to bring it out in him. I think now with hartley in the squad pulling the strings your see a different sproule, the way tinnion used to help scotty. He needs a spell of 8-10 games, get his confidence up and we will benefit.Johnson see's him in training every day and I'm sure if he thought he wasnt up to it he would be gone.The crossing is sometimes about confidence as well so hopefully he will set up alot more goals this season. Get behind the team! Just remember how you feel when you get moaned at and critisised in your job, it cant help inspire your best work/game.

One thing you need more than confidence is ability, I rest my case.

By the way I do not usually slaughter our own players but when I am shelling out the money that I do, I feel that I am justified in this case.

Archived