IGNORED

Big Thanks To Steve Lansdown

Red Rag

As an ageing City fan I have seen many good and many bad times at the gate.

In all those years I can honestly say I have never been as keen for a season to start

as I am at the moment. Proposed new stadium, rebuilding the team with youthfull

talent, a feel good factor surrounding our club. Why? because of Steve

Lansdowns vision and commitment to BCFC . So I for one would like to thank

Steve for all his efforts. Long may it continue.

:innocent06:

Chatting to someone at work today and we started to think about how many players we've signed this off season. Despite not going out and splashing millions on any one player, when you start to add them all up we've spent quite a bit of money, certainly for a club with our income and during a time when money probably isn't as freely available as it has been in the past few years (unless you're Real Madrid or Man City!).

The one's we came up with were (going off rumoured fees mostly):

Nyatanga £500k

Clarkson £800k

Gerkin £300k

Haynes £400k

Hartley £Free

Blackman £Free

I make that ~£2m in transfer fees (did I miss any?), likely a big signing on fee for Hartley (and others?), and the new contracts signed by Elliott and co.

So, debates about the actual players signed aside, as that's the job of Johnson & Johnson to take care of, I'd like to say a big thanks to our chairman for splashing the cash once again. :)

:city:

As an ageing City fan I have seen many good and many bad times at the gate.

In all those years I can honestly say I have never been as keen for a season to start

as I am at the moment. Proposed new stadium, rebuilding the team with youthfull

talent, a feel good factor surrounding our club. Why? because of Steve

Lansdowns vision and commitment to BCFC . So I for one would like to thank

Steve for all his efforts. Long may it continue.

:innocent06:

Ditto this whole heartedly..

While we shouldn't get carried away, things are looking really positive at present. I think it was pretty clear to all of us what our shortcomings were last season and I and probably many others felt the time had come for a serious clear out. It looks like GJ, SL, etc have really gone out and addressed these problems with the new signings.

We're still looking light in the wide midfield positions, though with the Finnish trialist sounding useful, that may be looking a little healthier in a few days. I'm personally really pleased to see MM back on board, as I don't think a lot of people give him enough credit for his work rate, as many wingers wouldn't even attempt to put in a tackle. I'm not convinced that he won't still be off shortly, but if he does stay, I hope GJ gets back to using him as a proper winger, as he is a far better player in that position IMHO. If we actually are in for the American and can get him, we look to have a really strong squad (on paper!)

I'm looking forward to seeing what Paul Hartley can do with our midfield, as he may just be the spark needed to get our creative juices going and he could also free up ME to get into more forward positions, as I reckon he's been held back to an extent with his defensive duties and could be a real handful if he could push forward more. The common thread with the players we have signed appears to be a degree of quality, which we've all been crying out for, so things are really looking up.

As we all know, it's what happens on the pitch that counts, but after feeling really down at the uninspiring end to last season, it looks like the management have done exactly what was needed and given the squad a good shake up and I'm really looking forward to seeing them for the first time tonight.

A massive well done to SL and GJ. The squad that got us up have been given the time to show what they can do at CCC level and it now looks like the new signings are aimed at making us a real force in this division.

Roll on the new season!!!

The Sags must be gutted to the core seeing as SL was a gashead

Really?

So is he a true Bristolian, but happens to have defected?

Can't say I know much about him, except a friend works for him at H&L and gets good parties out of it.

So biographical info would be a nice read... anyone?

Steve Lansdown deserves a stand named after him at the new stadium. Maybe even the whole stadium itself should carry his name. Harry Dolman has been outplayed by this guy. Dolman was another loss to the Gas.

As for fans not being able to recall so many summer signings, don't forget Sam Hollis bought a whole team for just 40 quid back in 1897 (although that included a couple of undisclosed fees) and they finished runners-up in the Southern League to Southampton....although they would've won it had the players not 'thrown' the championship decider on the south coast.

Perhaps we could start a campaign to run alongside the 2018 World Cup bid...Name the stadium after Steve Lansdown or even his favourite sled. He's a Bristol City great.

Really?

So is he a true Bristolian, but happens to have defected?

Can't say I know much about him, except a friend works for him at H&L and gets good parties out of it.

So biographical info would be a nice read... anyone?

I know nothing about his being a gashead, but I do know for a fact that he initially got involved with City because his son was a fan.

Archived