IGNORED

BBC Football League Highlights Show

!james

These are the finalised details for BBC coverage:

The Football League Show, begins on Saturday August 8 at 11.10pm on BBC One, and will showcase all the goals from the Coca-Cola Championship, League 1 and League 2. In subsequent weeks, it will follow Match of the Day,

Presenter Manish Bhasin, formerly of Football Focus, will be joined in the studio by ex-player Steve Claridge, with Radio 5 Live regular Mark Clemmit as roving reporter. The show will be made available on Red Button until midday the next day (Sunday), and on iPlayer for seven days.

Live coverage of the League also returns to the BBC for the first time since 1988, in the form of ten matches from the Championship. First up is West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United on Saturday August 8 at 5.20pm on BBC One, with BBC Sport Online simulcasting the live games and providing match edits of the weekend games' highlights.

Also back for the first time since 1987 will be live League Cup coverage, with the final and one leg of each semi final being broadcast live. A highlights programme will bring all the action from each round, beginning on Wednesday August 12 with Macclesfield Town v Leicester City as the lead match.

These are the finalised details for BBC coverage:

The Football League Show, begins on Saturday August 8 at 11.10pm on BBC One, and will showcase all the goals from the Coca-Cola Championship, League 1 and League 2. In subsequent weeks, it will follow Match of the Day,

Presenter Manish Bhasin, formerly of Football Focus, will be joined in the studio by ex-player Steve Claridge, with Radio 5 Live regular Mark Clemmit as roving reporter. The show will be made available on Red Button until midday the next day (Sunday), and on iPlayer for seven days.

Live coverage of the League also returns to the BBC for the first time since 1988, in the form of ten matches from the Championship. First up is West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United on Saturday August 8 at 5.20pm on BBC One, with BBC Sport Online simulcasting the live games and providing match edits of the weekend games' highlights.

Also back for the first time since 1987 will be live League Cup coverage, with the final and one leg of each semi final being broadcast live. A highlights programme will bring all the action from each round, beginning on Wednesday August 12 with Macclesfield Town v Leicester City as the lead match.

Nice one, thanks for the update.

Shame about Steve Claridge but the presenter isn't bad!

have the bbc said anything about a midweek show or is it just saturday

No plans at the moment for a league highlights show during the week on BBC-1, but Points West will have access to all the pictures. BBC have online rights so midweek games will probably be available there.

Clemmit is a patronising tosser.

I dont mind Clem at all - Steve Claridge is the person that I cant stand. If he wasnt the pundit on the show then it might just have been half decent. Sadly they couldnt quite get that right! Oh well!

I'm well chuffed the BBC have picked this up but I do hope they give this show more than ITV's hour long slot (or 50 mins I suppose when you account for the ads). If they're showing goals from all three divisions there's hardly going to be much time for 'highlights'.

Edit: Chuffed apart for Claridge, he's a right...

Hopefully if this pulls in good ratings we could end up with a mid week show, all the games are always filmed, so it wouldn't cost too much to put something together surely?

i expect they will do a show on tuesday or wednesday night when there are a full set of midweek games

Just looked at the Radio Times online which says the first highlights show is 11.45pm to 1am next Saturday . . .

The Football League Show Saturday 08 August

11:45pm - 1:00am

BBC1

Highlights from the day's Football League games. Newcastle start life in the Championship in a match that just six months ago was a Premier League clash, as West Bromwich Albion welcome the fallen heroes. Ian Holloway returns to QPR with his Blackpool team, while Cardiff City open their brand new stadium that sits in the shadow of Ninian Park. Nigel Clough leads Derby against Darren Ferguson's Peterborough, and Southampton meet losing play-off finalists Millwall in League One.

Archived